Reason for James Ruse 1st in State and why is it not happening in other states? (1 Viewer)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Just wondering but are there any schools which accelerate in English advanced?
wondering this too.

Just accelerate all your subjects and year 11 can be the new year 12.

baktiar77

HSC
Just wondering but are there any schools which accelerate in English advanced?
My school used to... back in 2004. It's just difficult especially when the Board of Studies regulates that Year 11accelerated and 12 HSC assessments must be done at the same time and there is always that advantage of year 12 students who are familiar with the standard of the HSC exam.
Obviously, this happens in all subjects but compared to most other subjects (other than Maths) the prelim isn't necessary towards HSC and there is an emphasis on rote-learning/application questions.
Also since English in compulsory, many achools would have trouble allocating so many teachers who are of 'HSC-standard'.
looking at their overall performance academically

lol. I think Sydney Grammar should start introducing accelerated maths because their maths seems more rigorous than ruse (mainly because their exams are harder than Ruse's)
Doesn't Sydney Grammar offer IB? I know a few other Grammar and top private schools offer it and according to my Maths tutor, some of them like King's College make their "A-team" do the IB while the "B-team" does HSC.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
My school used to... back in 2004. It's just difficult especially when the Board of Studies regulates that Year 11accelerated and 12 HSC assessments must be done at the same time and there is always that advantage of year 12 students who are familiar with the standard of the HSC exam.
Obviously, this happens in all subjects but compared to most other subjects (other than Maths) the prelim isn't necessary towards HSC and there is an emphasis on rote-learning/application questions.
Also since English in compulsory, many achools would have trouble allocating so many teachers who are of 'HSC-standard'.

Doesn't Sydney Grammar offer IB? I know a few other Grammar and top private schools offer it and according to my Maths tutor, some of them like King's College make their "A-team" do the IB while the "B-team" does HSC.
Pretty sure grammar and kings both don't offer IB

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
you should email them and give them a piece of your mind
its pretty disgraceful that such a school would hold back kids who easily have the potential to accelerate
make sure you set them straight yeah? for all of us

here you go
webmail@sydgram.nsw.edu.au

i reccommend you keep us updated so we can support you
They have "extension" not acceleration for gifted. Just wondering why not have both?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I've always wanted to but my parents don't 'believe' in it lol. They sort of have the attitude that if I need tutoring to get high marks I don't deserve it. .-.
WTF, what are your ranks in school?

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
1st in adv, 2nd in pretty much everything else but maths. 2u/3u I'm probably around 3rd-5th overall.
You're like this girl who was in my grade. I think she was a 1999er. She did Eng adv, chem, phys, MXI and MXII. She ended up topping all (or maybe almost all) her subjects and got .95!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You don't need tutoring to get high ranks

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Yeah I know that. Nailgun is beating most of his peers in a top 10 school and he doesn't get tutored at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)