Really bad engish teacher! HELP! (1 Viewer)

jon1995

HSC
N/A
I have the worst english teacher ever. She doesn't teach us anything!!!! She's way too old to even be teaching and barely ever even speaks to the class. We're starting the year 12 course and honestly I dunno what to do because I haven't learnt anything. What should I do??? I really want a good ATAR and HSC but it seems impossible as English is already one of my weakest subject and with a helpless teacher, I know I'm going to just fail :( Any advice?????

tOnnyAyye

HSC
Uni Grad
are you standard or advanced ?? if standard, what's your text for area of study and modules ?

kennyb22

HSC
Well OP let me tell you about my (Advanced) English teacher. On the first day of Y12 in the very first lesson she said "You're in the bottom class for a reason. Don't even expect to get anything close to a Band 4 in this course". And she was right, I ended up ranking 82/82. I scored 52/100 in my Trial (strong band 2).
Anyway I managed to save myself by grabbing essays from friends who were in the top class, and I simply memorized their essays and pulled off an external Band 5 (pretty good for the kid ranked last heh).

So yeah you'll just have to bear with it mate, because there's really nothing you can do (unless you sign up for tutor or get some sort of external help).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
How old is 'too old' to be teaching by the way???

Roy216

HSC
tbh i had a decent teacher for standard english, but i hardly used her information. You can try seeking information from other english teachers around the school, use this site, the forums and resources can be really benefiting and even buying standard english essays or getting essays off ex students (that really helped me develop my own essays and gain knowledge on what markers are looking for)

Roy216

HSC
a tutor wouldn't be bad either, there were so many times i found myself needing an english tutor but i never got one

HSC
N/A
Independent study! I find that the CSU HSC website is an excellent starting base for learning the fundamentals of your text/module. Tutortales also blogs quality advice and information about various texts. Make sure to go through your texts thoroughly yourself. Get together a good study group and brainstorm ideas together. Have a go at past papers - if you have trouble getting started with comprehension or essays, or don't quite understand part of a text, people on this board will always be willing to give you a few tips :) Of course, you'll need to get them properly marked somehow or other - your teacher may not be able to teach, but perhaps she is a fine marker? Try handing her some work and see if she responds well. If not, it's time to invest in a quality tutor. Best of luck!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have the worst english teacher ever. She doesn't teach us anything!!!! She's way too old to even be teaching and barely ever even speaks to the class. We're starting the year 12 course and honestly I dunno what to do because I haven't learnt anything. What should I do??? I really want a good ATAR and HSC but it seems impossible as English is already one of my weakest subject and with a helpless teacher, I know I'm going to just fail :( Any advice?????
Is she one of those teacher where you have to draw stuff out of (i.e not great at controlling a class but if you show interest outside of class, will give you feedback on work and such) or a flat out can't teach teacher? Some teachers you can draw stuff out of even if they are not great in a class setting. In any instance, English is alot of independent work in forming your own arguments and links with your texts, and seeking feedback on pieces. Is there another English teacher at school that's willing to give you feedback (like the head teacher)? Because sometimes when it's a flat out "can't teach" teacher, the other teachers normally take pity to pitch in and help the kids in that class. Of course, you can always ask for help on BOS too for feedback, and I guess if you are struggling, tuition is always a possibility.

What level and texts/modules are you doing?

Magical Kebab

HSC
Don't have the mentality that "ur going to fail". It might be hard but ur just gonna have to fight through it and get bits and pieces of help from wherever u can find it.
My cousin went to a school ranked ~550 or so and had physics, ancient history and chem only twice a fortnight (1 hr lessons) due to the amount of kids in the class yet he still managed to get 98.65. How? He worked his ass off and didn't make up any excuses because he had just come from overseas and he valued the education he was getting.

Good luck and work hard.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well OP let me tell you about my (Advanced) English teacher. On the first day of Y12 in the very first lesson she said "You're in the bottom class for a reason. Don't even expect to get anything close to a Band 4 in this course". And she was right, I ended up ranking 82/82. I scored 52/100 in my Trial (strong band 2).
Anyway I managed to save myself by grabbing essays from friends who were in the top class, and I simply memorized their essays and pulled off an external Band 5 (pretty good for the kid ranked last heh).

So yeah you'll just have to bear with it mate, because there's really nothing you can do (unless you sign up for tutor or get some sort of external help).
This is exactly why the way English is taught/examined needs changing.

cool story mate

HSC
Uni Grad
well, I have the same problem as you. got a shit ass but I still managed to get 85% for my mid-year exams. at first I used the "I have a bad teacher so im not gunna do nything " excuse. but then I pulled up my socks and tried my hardest by getting notes from other teachers, my friends, internet etc and made my own notes that way.
and i totally feel what your going through :l
GOOD LUCK :))))))))))))))))))))))))

nojess

HSC
I have a horrible teacher who regularly makes people in my class cry. That's pretty much the only interaction we have with her.
If you're motivated enough, you will use this as encouragement to study harder and not just give up.
Good luck!

Elisa Sweet

HSC
I had a teacher exactly like that for business studies. Study the best you can, and if you need help, you can post on here, ask your class mates or get a tutor. Good luck!

ShadowLighte

HSC
Oh god, I wouldn't say that I have the best English teacher either. I mean, he's smart and knows his stuff but when it comes to teaching he like, wants the class to teach themselves as in people have to ask him and converse with other classmates for answers and I mean, sure, by all means discuss answers but what about people who are extremely shy and have trouble talking to others? I have social anxiety and I hate it because ahfoeiafdaslhj I can't get anything done. He's scary too and right now I'm close to failing Standard English when I've always achieved at least 80% + in English for all of my previous years. Argh. When it comes to assessments he like, expects us to study ourselves and doesn't help us study. You know how teachers tell us about assessments coming up and stuff, they revise the topic -in terms of English, poetic techniques, essay structures, sets practice tasks etc. He does none of that, just tells us there's an assessment and gets on with work. Which is basically him sitting at his desk and the class 'discussing' or him picking on people to answer questions because people are too scared to volunteer them as he intimidates the class.

/Rant over.

NWO

HSC
no wonder ur engrishh is bad as the result of having a bad teacherrrrr.

mac1996

HSC
I have a horrible teacher who regularly makes people in my class cry. That's pretty much the only interaction we have with her.
If you're motivated enough, you will use this as encouragement to study harder and not just give up.
Good luck!
literally cry?

12345abcde

HSC
Honestly, I would just complain to the school and ask for a better teacher, because your HSC is way too important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)