reality check of uni? (1 Viewer)

Matt Samson

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
It isn't racist as I don't hate Asians. But it is quite difficult to participate in a tutorial where the majority of the students cannot understand English. How can you have a group discussion about something?

And I am not talking about the Asians who were born in Australia, because even they got frustrated that these students couldn't participate fully. But I suppose the International Student buck speaks volumes more than quality education.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Matt Samson said:
It isn't racist as I don't hate Asians. But it is quite difficult to participate in a tutorial where the majority of the students cannot understand English. How can you have a group discussion about something?
yeah being non-white doesn't mean you can't speak english

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
white power

(not racist)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i've managed group discussions with people who had minimal English. it's not impossible, you just gotta accept that you'll be repeating yourself a bit and speak a bit slower...

Matt Samson

HSC
jb_nc said:
yeah being non-white doesn't mean you can't speak english
True, but they're not exactly from Singapore either.

I am wondering whether uSyd or UNSW tests these international students for English proficiency? Both written and oral.

Matt Samson

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i've managed group discussions with people who had minimal English. it's not impossible, you just gotta accept that you'll be repeating yourself a bit and speak a bit slower...
And get half as much done as you would have? This is Australia, the language of this nation is English and to participate fully one should be able to speak it, especially in academic institutions.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Matt Samson said:
And get half as much done as you would have? This is Australia, the language of this nation is English and to participate fully one should be able to speak it, especially in academic institutions.
oh i'm not going into that argument with anyone else ever again

except to say that you gotta start somewhere and English is a complex language

and that if you went to Japan or something as an international student you wouldn't exactly be fluent in the lingo either, so cut em some slack.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Matt Samson said:
True, but they're not exactly from Singapore either.

I am wondering whether uSyd or UNSW tests these international students for English proficiency? Both written and oral.
Yeah I really wish that the universities would take some time out to ensure only people that speak fluent english could get in. I wish we could all live like we used to in Middle School. I wish we could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
racist dude said:
And I am not talking about the Asians who were born in Australia, because even they got frustrated that these students couldn't participate fully. But I suppose the International Student buck speaks volumes more than quality education.
Yeah I'd agree with that. In GOVT in s1 last year, there was that problem in our tutorials. Shelley would inevitably get to the international student enclave, and there'd be silence for about 5 minutes while they struggled to get something out, until she politely moved the discussion onward or someone else said something. If someone said something, it'd always be a stupid comment because there was never enough substance to disagree with.

But lol, that's the only example I can come up with, and I went to UNSW where there's twenty Asian folks for every non-Asian person. Clearly it's not a regular occurance, you racist semen face.

Matt Samson

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Yeah I'd agree with that. In GOVT in s1 last year, there was that problem in our tutorials. Shelley would inevitably get to the international student enclave, and there'd be silence for about 5 minutes while they struggled to get something out, until she politely moved the discussion onward or someone else said something. If someone said something, it'd always be a stupid comment because there was never enough substance to disagree with.

But lol, that's the only example I can come up with, and I went to UNSW where there's twenty Asian folks for every non-Asian person. Clearly it's not a regular occurance, you racist semen face.
It isn't just about Asians. I would say the same thing if they came from South America, Europe, Africa or even North America (Quebec anyone?). If you don't know English (written and spoken), you should not be allowed to enrol.

I had a Dutch person in one of my tutorials last year, and she spoke English as if it were her native tongue. I had no problem with that.

This is the reality check of both these institutions.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
racist douchebag said:
This is the reality check of both these institutions
I'd much rather an occasional non-English-speaking fob than go to that glorified teachers college called CSU. olol.

Matt Samson

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I'd much rather an occasional non-English-speaking fob than go to that glorified teachers college called CSU. olol.
We're more known for our School of Communication, well, my campus anyway.

lachlan43

Yeah, that guy really fails. He got hit in the face by a ball once, and he only earned $10,000 a week for 15 years doing it. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)