"Real" Australians and "Australian values" (1 Viewer)

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
There is a myth that Australia has no culture. Our culture is part of the great, globalised western culture, which dates back to the ancient greeks.

People make the mistake of thinking we have no culture, because our culture is so big, all encompassing, dominating and ancient. it may be big and global, but it's still a culture.

It seems stupidly parochial and nationalistic to limit culture to what occurs within our national borders and 200 years of history.

zstar

HSC
N/A
Australian culture is immigrant culture.

Even things like BBQ, beaches, cricket and surfing waves are all imported from the United States and Britain.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
There is a myth that Australia has no culture. Our culture is part of the great, globalised western culture, which dates back to the ancient greeks.

People make the mistake of thinking we have no culture, because our culture is so big, all encompassing, dominating and ancient. it may be big and global, but it's still a culture.

It seems stupidly parochial and nationalistic to limit culture to what has occured within our national borders and 200 years of history.
fail wog boy.

dumarab

HSC
tollerence for other cultures

respect for other religions

tollerence for what others wear act and do...

Everything that muslims don't do

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
dumarab said:
tollerence for other cultures

respect for other religions

tollerence for what others wear act and do...

Everything that muslims don't do
irony much?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Captain Hero said:
In Australia we only let the truly special be special. I don't think we've let the cult of celebrity take anywhere near as much hold here as overseas. Given that overseas most people treat celebrities with reverence, but over here if they act out of line they'll get the piss ripped out of them, or something.
Nah, praise and cult status are permitted in Australia so long as they are directed at someone on the cricket pitch or the try line.

zstar

HSC
N/A
If you're all "real" Australians then I'm proud to be a fake Australian.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
KFunk said:
Nah, praise and cult status are permitted in Australia so long as they are directed at someone on the cricket pitch or the try line.
also lets you get away with assault...

banco55

HSC
Anyone who thinks "Australian values" aren't any different to the values of other countries is invited to visit places like Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Singapore and report back on how their "values" are nearly identical to "Australian values".

metalheaven

HSC
banco55 said:
Anyone who thinks "Australian values" aren't any different to the values of other countries is invited to visit places like Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Singapore and report back on how their "values" are nearly identical to "Australian values".
I doubt anyone here believes that our general values are exactly the same as the values of other countries. What this thread is asking however, is whether we have any sort of strong culture to announce as something special and definable in the context of the globe.
IMO I don't think we really have any sort of significant base culture to get really fired up about. Sure, there's the whole "snags on the barbie" and meatpies at the footy, but these are more like generalisations and stereotypes than actual culture per se. Compare this "culture" to that of a country like, say, China or India of which have strong, long-running, definitive cultures that are instantly recognizable.
I think we can put this lack of "true" Aussie culture down to two main things:
1. We're still only a very young country.
2. Ever since the beginning of us becoming a nation there has been cultures from all over the world integrating with ours; thus making the growth of a uniquely Australian culture almost impossible. (btw I'm not against different races and different cultures in aus, quite the opposite; I love our multi-culturalism :))

So yeah, that's my opinion of "true Aussie values". And as for "true" Aussies, I believe almost anyone who comes here and consequently calls this land home is a "true" Aussie.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
banco55 said:
singapore has awesome food.

so does malaysia

they rule

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
Singapore is awesome except it's illegal to *ever* be naked.
yeah but have you tried har mee?? it rules

banco55

HSC
metalheaven said:
I doubt anyone here believes that our general values are exactly the same as the values of other countries. What this thread is asking however, is whether we have any sort of strong culture to announce as something special and definable in the context of the globe.
IMO I don't think we really have any sort of significant base culture to get really fired up about. Sure, there's the whole "snags on the barbie" and meatpies at the footy, but these are more like generalisations and stereotypes than actual culture per se. Compare this "culture" to that of a country like, say, China or India of which have strong, long-running, definitive cultures that are instantly recognizable.
I think we can put this lack of "true" Aussie culture down to two main things:
1. We're still only a very young country.
2. Ever since the beginning of us becoming a nation there has been cultures from all over the world integrating with ours; thus making the growth of a uniquely Australian culture almost impossible. (btw I'm not against different races and different cultures in aus, quite the opposite; I love our multi-culturalism :))

So yeah, that's my opinion of "true Aussie values". And as for "true" Aussies, I believe almost anyone who comes here and consequently calls this land home is a "true" Aussie.
There's still a big element of "cultural cringe" when people talk about Austalian culture. Particularly from people on the left who don't like some aspects of what they perceive to be Australian culture.

By the standards you've set lots of countries wouldn't have a "special" and "definable" culture. The variations between the Western European countries for example aren't that great these days but I'd still say they each have a "definable" culture. Same goes for Latin America. Plus heaps of Asian countries have only existed in their present form for a shorter time then Australia was a nation.

HSC
jb_nc said:
yeah but have you tried har mee?? it rules
I have not. I now will. But what do I do about Jimmy's BEST LAKSA IN SYDNEY. I love Laksa too much :(

Good place to have Har Mee... go? You were dead on on Menya (though they did kinda fall down) so we need the next gem.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Treason.
Lamb chops and breadnbutter pudding for me - rain, hail, 50degrees, or Asia-Pacific. Does one a power of good I tell you!

HSC
Bogán Cuisine

Yeuch. Asian food forever.

EDIT: Typical "aussie" food is flavourless dross. YOU KNOW IT AND I KNOW IT

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Keep your witchcraft herbs to yourself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)