Reading Task remark (1 Viewer)

Hardchore

HSC
I've been going through the process of getting a remark for my half yearly english paper and although I can now see I was wrong in some respects, there is one question that still continues to frustrate me...

Question: “Identify two techniques used by the poet to convey the man’s sense of belonging.” (2 Marks)

My Answer: The metaphor of “a life gathering its tackle together and pushing forward” and the rhetorical question “Something you can’t see holds it all together. What is it?” (1 Mark)

Text:
"He looks around his son's room: the bed
unmade, the globe of the world with an
imaginary voyage plotted in blue ink,
the clutter of books and plastic toys,
a life gathering its tackle together and
pushing forward. He stares at the backyard
and the thick bushes growing upwards.
The only movement is the glitter of leaves
and the washing his wife hung out,
before she went to work, flapping
in its circus. Something you can't see
holds it all together. What is it? Last
spring they painted the house, amateurs
but doing the best job they could, then
they laid bricks in a pattern in the yard -
what is it, that makes the pattern hold?
That party were they squabbled, the dinner
where old friends got drunk and happy ...

He sits at the kitchen table, half dressed,
drinking a glass of orange juice,
and wonders about the delicate adhesive
that holds it all together. Once, long ago,
he'd been divorced: a sad, frightened drunk
living in a rented room.
When the washing's dry
he'll gather it up, in armfuls, and bring it in.
He turns on some music. The house has a
northerly aspect; it is full of light."

The only response from the teacher (who marked the exam) I got was that I was required to further discuss these techniques or mention thier effect, but I was under the impression that when a question asks for you to 'identify', it doesnt require further discussion.

Although it is only 1 mark I'm concerned about, it never ceases to frustrate me...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've been going through the process of getting a remark for my half yearly english paper and although I can now see I was wrong in some respects, there is one question that still continues to frustrate me...

Question: “Identify two techniques used by the poet to convey the man’s sense of belonging.” (2 Marks)

My Answer: The metaphor of “a life gathering its tackle together and pushing forward” and the rhetorical question “Something you can’t see holds it all together. What is it?” (1 Mark)

Text:
"He looks around his son's room: the bed
unmade, the globe of the world with an
imaginary voyage plotted in blue ink,
the clutter of books and plastic toys,
a life gathering its tackle together and
pushing forward. He stares at the backyard
and the thick bushes growing upwards.
The only movement is the glitter of leaves
and the washing his wife hung out,
before she went to work, flapping
in its circus. Something you can't see
holds it all together. What is it? Last
spring they painted the house, amateurs
but doing the best job they could, then
they laid bricks in a pattern in the yard -
what is it, that makes the pattern hold?
That party were they squabbled, the dinner
where old friends got drunk and happy ...

He sits at the kitchen table, half dressed,
drinking a glass of orange juice,
and wonders about the delicate adhesive
that holds it all together. Once, long ago,
he'd been divorced: a sad, frightened drunk
living in a rented room.
When the washing's dry
he'll gather it up, in armfuls, and bring it in.
He turns on some music. The house has a
northerly aspect; it is full of light."

The only response from the teacher (who marked the exam) I got was that I was required to further discuss these techniques or mention thier effect, but I was under the impression that when a question asks for you to 'identify', it doesnt require further discussion.

Although it is only 1 mark I'm concerned about, it never ceases to frustrate me...

I am not an English teacher but it seems to me that you have not identified the technique only its use. What I mean is that you have quoted the lines that show the technique but then haven't acually said what the techniqe is that conveys that meaning. What I would expect is something like '“Something you can’t see holds it all together. What is it?” is using the technique of xxx to show belonging. - thus identifying the actual technique and not just quoting from the source the example of the technique.

I teach History and so the question I asked is 'what technique does this quote show?' and you haven't given me a technique.

I hope that is helpful - and if there is any English person out there who sees it differently please help and then ignore me.

Last edited:

jellybelly59

HSC
Identify: Recognise and name = the hsc verb - tell your teacher she's wrong and get your mark lol. Best to show her a list of hsc verbs and their definitions but don't come off as a pretentious prick cause then the teacher might rage.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Identify: Recognise and name = the hsc verb - tell your teacher she's wrong and get your mark lol. Best to show her a list of hsc verbs and their definitions but don't come off as a pretentious prick cause then the teacher might rage.
I am a teacher and to my way of reading the question and the answer their has been no naming of the technique - an example of the technigue has been given so the recognition is there but there is no naming of the technique being recongnised, hence 1 mark for recognising but 0 marks for naming as that hasn't been done.

jellybelly59

HSC
I am a teacher and to my way of reading the question and the answer their has been no naming of the technique - an example of the technigue has been given so the recognition is there but there is no naming of the technique being recongnised, hence 1 mark for recognising but 0 marks for naming as that hasn't been done.
My Answer: The metaphor of “a life gathering its tackle together and pushing forward” and the rhetorical question “Something you can’t see holds it all together. What is it?”

The OP stated that the only feedback he got was that he was required to discuss the technique or mention the effect of it - which suggests that the technique has been identified, but the teacher wants them to do more - feels like it's going beyond the scope of the hsc verb of identify.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My Answer: The metaphor of “a life gathering its tackle together and pushing forward” and the rhetorical question “Something you can’t see holds it all together. What is it?”

The OP stated that the only feedback he got was that he was required to discuss the technique or mention the effect of it - which suggests that the technique has been identified, but the teacher wants them to do more - feels like it's going beyond the scope of the hsc verb of identify.
I did say I was a History teacher but as a teacher I would expect the student to be showing a bit more than just that is was a metaphor like how was it a metaphor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)