Reading List (1 Viewer)

karnevil

HSC
I want you all to post a list of books that you have read / heard about, which are about anything to do with Japan. If there is one thing that's been neglected in six years of high school japanese, it's that I never learnt anything except the language. I yearn for a more thorough understanding of the history of Japan and its society, even books on Japan's modern society? Japan is such a rich cultural tapestry, I've no idea where to begin..... care to help? :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
This is a damn good idea actually. I'll have to go to the library and find all the titles though, because I've read way too many to remember them. The one book you'd be interested in on my shelf is the

Dorling Kindersely Eyewitness Guide to Japan
It is one piece of EXCELLENT travel writing, which I found far more valuable than the Lonely Planet equivalent. It is very well illustrated (all photographs) and the layout is much easier to interact with compared to traditional guidebooks (eg again Lonely Planet). Don't think it's just a travel book though, as it also gives a lot of insight to Japanese culture and traditions. I myself spent the better part of a month reading it cover to cover before flying over, and intend to do so again when next I make the trip. At $45 it's well worth getting if you're interested in seeing Japan.

Sorry I can't tell you what else I've read, though you've spurred me into finding the good ones and buying them. When I discover them I'll be sure to list them here for you. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Fiction? I don't read any Japan fiction, though if you want stuff translated from Japanese I'd be looking for two authors.

The old one, from the Meiji era, is Natsume Souseki. He is most famous for "I am a cat", though I particularly liked "Kokoro". He is considered Japan's greatest Modern author.

The new one, from the current (Heisei) era is Murakami Haruki. He has written such things as "Underground" (NF - interviews with victims of the Tokyo Gas Attack 1995), "A Wild Sheep Chase" and "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World". He is considered to be the next Souseki.

Both write excellent fiction, though I'm not sure if you'll enjoy it. If you're looking for some action forget Japanese prose and go for Manga. You'll get everything you want there, especially if you hunt down the more hard-core Shounen manga. Love Hina is probably one of the mildest you'll find.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
actually i meant fiction within japanese culture, society,etc
not necessarily by jap dudes

i read one a long time ago about how this anglo dude got shipwreaked on japan and talks about how he adapted to their culture and stuff. pretty cool except i forgot the title

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's a very famous one. So famous I too have forgotten the title. If you want fiction about Japanese culture etc, you'd be best looking at Japanese authors anyway, since they're the only ones that'll have a clue.

karnevil

HSC
Lex how come you cant tell me the other ones? Every time you post on the culture/history/society of Japan, your argument is always solid and seems well-researched. I figured you would have read a lot of these books, and I'm very interested to know what they are! :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
To be honest it was so long ago that I read these books that I've forgotten what they're called! It's a shameful admission that aside from the travel book I mentioned above all other volumes I borrowed from various libraries.

Anyway, I'm hoping to drop into Kinokuniya sometime next week and find all those books again. I promise I'll print out the Kino-Navi entries so I can post their details here. :)

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
you'd be best looking at Japanese authors anyway, since they're the only ones that'll have a clue.
I'd agree to an extent. It seems that 'Memoirs of a Geisha' is a popular book in Aus, but it seems to rest under the facade that it was a true story told by a Japanese woman to a Western man who wrote it down, when in fact if you read the fine print, it's purely the work of the Western man's imagination about what life would have been like as a Geisha..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, I read that book a few years ago. Though my Japanese teacher recommended it, praising it for its accuracy (a valid statement), I felt cheated when the epilogue explained the "true story" aspect as fiction derived from assembled anecdotes. It did give me some insight into pre-war Kyoto culture, especially in the Geisha sphere, but I believe that was an unexpected bonus for an author who was merely attempting to drape a narritive in a cloak of thinly-woven authenticity.

O Felix Culpa indeed. ;)
"Oh happy fault" for everyone else.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Murakami Haruki!
the short story, On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning, was heaps popular in taiwan and stuff... it's from a book called the kangaroo communique

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I haven't got to that one yet. I try to space my Murakami for fear of reading too much and hating it. :) Some of the stuff he writes just warps the brain.

karnevil

HSC
I really wana get into some good solid reading on Japan. BTW Lex your avatar scares the shit out of me

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
My avatar? Is it because it is Dave Bowman (2001: A Space Oddysey) or is it the Blue Screen of Death reflected on his helmet?

I'm looking for a new one anyway, but can't find anything quite so...complete. Wanna help? :D

karnevil

HSC
Yeah it's his facials and the whole space helmet thing, it just... weirds me out

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Yes, I read that book a few years ago. Though my Japanese teacher recommended it, praising it for its accuracy (a valid statement), I felt cheated when the epilogue explained the "true story" aspect as fiction derived from assembled anecdotes. It did give me some insight into pre-war Kyoto culture, especially in the Geisha sphere, but I believe that was an unexpected bonus for an author who was merely attempting to drape a narritive in a cloak of thinly-woven authenticity
Very well put.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)