Reading Comprehension Question - wow it rhymes. (1 Viewer)

Dairy_Cow

Hi. Was wondering if anyone could help me with an irritating style of question that always seems to pop up in French Continuers Reading Comprehension.

Par example:

Take the 1998 HSC Paper - Question 2.

We've got a passage titled
NE ROULEZ PLUS SANS LE B.S.R. (BREVET DE SECURITE ROUTIERE)

Now, I thought I understood the passage well (Sorry, not trying to inflate my already large head here at all) answering all the questions up till (d) which says;

(d) What does the B.S.R. state about the moped rider?

All I could say was 'well they just wrote a whole flamin' article on it! Can the question be a little specific please?' Obviously the question didn't answer me, nor make things any more specific. Could anyone help me out with this slight problem?
I've encountered similar questions before that seem very broad and they stump me on what to write and how much for an answer. Is there something in the text I'm missing out on?
As far as my knowledge allows me to discifer I can't see anything that Black and White having anything to do with a statement particularly about the moped riders.
All the other questions were straight forwards with a bit of searching and thinking involved but could still be found in the text.
Question (d) gives me the impression I'm supposed to roughly guess what the article wants me to think, I'm doubting that's right because what's the point of the test then?
All the other questions in Question 2 I had no problems with, even after the dreaded (d).
Any help or constructive comments would be rather spiffing. Cheers.

~Faye~

Lolliana

evaluating meaning, is one of the skills we're being tested on
as well as straight out 'oh look there it is' type answers
were meant to be able to get the gist of the whole passgage, no make judgemnts etc

Mais ceci dit, (hehe go ext french!) the paper you are looking at is an old HSC ones. The more recent ones tend to have more specific questions as far as I have been able to see, and not really evaluation questions except perhaps the last question. Generally its about picking the right sentence to translate/paraphrase :p

Dairy_Cow

You know, it didn't really rhyme..

Thanks for clearing that up for me! At least I now know what the 'paper' wants me to do. Thanks! :D

Extension huh? Is that any good? How much difference is there between continuers and extension? I had enough of a battle with the school trying to get a continuers class going, mind you considering how all the ceci, ceux, celle, cette, cet, souci and laquelles are a numb blur right now - perhaps I'm better off :D

Alright, well thanks again all, have fun in Maths in Monday 2unit people (why am I saying this here?) and Best of luck with French on Wednesday!

~Faye~

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ext is very different, they do i film study, and it's more like out english than learning the language (which i would say is what 2u is like)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)