reaĺly really quick question :D (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Why would you turn 18.02 into 19. It's not asking for an integer number of years .... the kind of question people are getting confused with would say something like "What is the minimum number of complete years for the population to double?". And if you did do this, why on earth would anyone call it 'rounding' ?

And .... why does anyone believe that the exponential growth model could possibly be used for a population of only 17 bacteria? The model is based on the fact that individual randomness is averaged out over large populations, and its use is completely meaningless in such small populations.
With regards to the second part – probably because students don't get taught much at all about the physics or biology etc. behind models, so they usually just see it as an exponential growth maths problem without even thinking about the models themselves or the physical significance of certain constants etc.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
If this question appears in the exam, i would go for 18 years. But i usually round up for this type of question. I am still confused

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Why would you turn 18.02 into 19. It's not asking for an integer number of years .... the kind of question people are getting confused with would say something like "What is the minimum number of complete years for the population to double?". And if you did do this, why on earth would anyone call it 'rounding' ?

And .... why does anyone believe that the exponential growth model could possibly be used for a population of only 17 bacteria? The model is based on the fact that individual randomness is averaged out over large populations, and its use is completely meaningless in such small populations.
sorry about that. I just used a random eg that i thought of at the top of my head

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I know where this question came from....

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
ALways round up for exponential questions

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
You'll have to explain your logic, including why it doesn't apply for other equations.
In these questions, they ALWAYS want whole numbers, ..e.g. 1 cat or 2 cat, 3 years, 4 rounds (that is what I was told when I did the HSC).

EVen if it is 8.12 cats or 9.05 dogs..... we always round up to the next number (despite the decimal part being less than 0.5)

(this is the standard for textbook and HSC Qs)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
In these questions, they ALWAYS want whole numbers, ..e.g. 1 cat or 2 cat, 3 years, 4 rounds (that is what I was told when I did the HSC).

EVen if it is 8.12 cats or 9.05 dogs..... we always round up to the next number (despite the decimal part being less than 0.5)

(this is the standard for textbook and HSC Qs)
But this time we were talking about years, which is a continuous entity (whereas with dogs or cats etc., those are discrete objects). So why would we need to round years for this Q?

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
But this time we were talking about years, which is a continuous entity (whereas with dogs or cats etc., those are discrete objects). So why would we need to round years for this Q?
I don't know the answer to that .. I just know the standard.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
A rlly quick question and no conclusion after 2 pages lol

Tbh it depends on the question. And since it's a real world model type question it depends on the question. The best thing to do to find your answer is to sub in both the integers on either side of the 18.1 ie 18 and 19 and see which one gives you more than double. The one that gives you less than double kangaroos does not satisfy the question.

But give us the question to be sure

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
A rlly quick question and no conclusion after 2 pages lol

Tbh it depends on the question. And since it's a real world model type question it depends on the question. The best thing to do to find your answer is to sub in both the integers on either side of the 18.1 ie 18 and 19 and see which one gives you more than double. The one that gives you less than double kangaroos does not satisfy the question.

But give us the question to be sure
Isn't it best to just give the exact number (18.1 years or whatever), and if the exact answer is irrational or something, perhaps round that to 2 decimal places or something (after giving the exact answer correct to several decimal places based on the calculator)?

As an extreme example, if it turned out to take ~0.1 years for a population to double, it would be invalid to say 1 year.

(And there's no problem with giving non-integer numbers for years, is there? Since years are essentially continuous (ignoring things like Planck time etc.))

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Isn't it best to just give the exact number (18.1 years or whatever), and if the exact answer is irrational or something, perhaps round that to 2 decimal places or something (after giving the exact answer correct to several decimal places based on the calculator)?

As an extreme example, if it turned out to take ~0.1 years for a population to double, it would be invalid to say 1 year.

(And there's no problem with giving non-integer numbers for years, is there? Since years are essentially continuous (ignoring things like Planck time etc.))
Yeah for something like years you can leave it as 18.1 or if you want to be pedantic you can find what 0.1 of 12 months is and write 18 years and the number of months as the answer. I was suggesting for other questions, they require a definite integer, so we can't give OP a certain answer because there are many different types of questions and each of them require the answer which would make the most common sense.

So OP for a question where you need to find the no. of people, you can't say 18.1 people because that's stupid instead you would round up or down BUT it would depend on the question.

There's no definite rule to round up or down.

Last edited:

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Use some common sense, if a question is asking for some number of dogs, and you get an answer of 20.45, you obviously can't have .45 of a dog. So you round up because it's still some dog. Time is continuous and you can have some fraction of a year, so round appropriately.

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
Use some common sense, if a question is asking for some number of dogs, and you get an answer of 20.45, you obviously can't have .45 of a dog. So you round up because it's still some dog. Time is continuous and you can have some fraction of a year, so round appropriately.
Common sense does say you can't have 0.45 dogs.
But it doesn't explain why you take the next integer.
Not unless it said something like "what is the minimum number of dogs required to be 45% sure that at least two dogs had the same birthday".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)