Re: Liberal Studies (1 Viewer)

Sammi B

HSC
hey i was considering doing a liberal studies degree at sydney uni in 2009, but i don't really know that much about it. all the info ive got is from the uac guide. i was wondering if anybody out there is doing this and give me some more in depth information? what is it like, whats involved, career options. is it one of those degrees that dont really mean anything?

im really interested so anything u hav will be good.

thanks
sam

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It's quite a good degree to have in that it's very broad. Many employers are now looking at students with broader interests. However, also note that you could potentially do a very similar combination of subjects in a straight degree, and you wouldn't have as many compulsory subjects.

Sammi B

HSC
sorry this has taken so long...yeah i've considered others that are similar but considering im a lil bit clueless atm and dont see that changing by the end of the yr, i thought those complusory subjects mite broaden my interest a bit, give me taste of something i dont know about yet. hav u heard of any specific employment possibilities from people doing/have done this degree?

somewhereelse

HSC
It really really depends on what you choose. I.e. I'm going to do psychology as my science major, so that will open the field for me to do honours in psych & get accredited as a psychologist, or the marketing/hr jobs that non-acredited psych students can get into
If you chose geophysics as your science major, you could end up at CSIRO.
Microbiology- in the brewing industry
Geography- cartographer
etc etc etc
Check out the individual listings for each of the majors you're thinking of doing :)
The added bonus of those extra compulsory english/maths/language units makes you look more employable.. I hope..

Sammi B

HSC
somewhereelse said:
It really really depends on what you choose. I.e. I'm going to do psychology as my science major, so that will open the field for me to do honours in psych & get accredited as a psychologist, or the marketing/hr jobs that non-acredited psych students can get into
If you chose geophysics as your science major, you could end up at CSIRO.
Microbiology- in the brewing industry
Geography- cartographer
etc etc etc
Check out the individual listings for each of the majors you're thinking of doing :)
The added bonus of those extra compulsory english/maths/language units makes you look more employable.. I hope..
wow really? that is alot of possibility...

haha yes i hope it will seem that way too!!! I'd really appreciate ur feedback when u start ur degree on how ur finding it too. :)

somewhereelse

HSC
what are you thinking of doing?

sure thing, i'll let you know how it goes!

Sammi B

HSC
somewhereelse said:
what are you thinking of doing?

um atm im tossing up between french and music in arts and prob thinking of medicinal science (i think thats it!) or psych in the science area...have to take another look at the uac tho. apart from psych what are u doing?

btw thanks for that i really appreciate it.

somewhereelse

HSC
I think either philosophy (I had a talk with the psych rep at the open day, and she said philosophy would probably help out the most in terms of the style of study or something like that...), english or sociology.. and french or spanish
I'm pretty doubtful you can do medical science as part of lib studies, because its not a science 'major', but rather a full on degree..
but you could do physiology, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, cell pathology, biology etc etc...
HTH :)
good luck this year!

HSC
somewhereelse said:
I think either philosophy (I had a talk with the psych rep at the open day, and she said philosophy would probably help out the most in terms of the style of study or something like that...), english or sociology.. and french or spanish
I'm pretty doubtful you can do medical science as part of lib studies, because its not a science 'major', but rather a full on degree..
but you could do physiology, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, cell pathology, biology etc etc...
good luck this year!
Ooh go you! I'm planning to major in Psychology and Philosophy. 1st year phil is awesome (the 1st semester unit anyway) :)

somewhereelse

HSC
^^ yea i took a look at the course outline (bless BoS... for possibly that reason only...) it sounds really interesting, not at all what I thought philosophy would be.

HSC
somewhereelse said:
^^ yea i took a look at the course outline (bless BoS... for possibly that reason only...) it sounds really interesting, not at all what I thought philosophy would be.
I'm sure you've noticed how much I praise David Braddon-Mitchell. I will do it again. HE IS AWESOME. <3

Sammi B

HSC
somewhereelse said:
good luck this year!
yeah sorry thats what i meant medicinal chemistry...

philosophy sounds good. im doing a philo dsitinction course and it is really interesting.

i hope u enjoy it, good luck to u too.

Sammi B

HSC
somewhereelse said:
hi i know its been ages, i was wondering if u could tell me how things have gone for u in ur first year? i think this might be the degree for me.

SydneyHigh08

HSC
i'm doing this degree too :)
except not til 2010...sammi will you be doing it next year or are you taking a gap year too?

sweetcandeeh

HSC
I'm considering this degree, hoping to major in psychology and philosophy.
I see that there is room for a possible 3rd major, is it possible to do 3 majors?

spence

HSC
sweetcandeeh said:
I'm considering this degree, hoping to major in psychology and philosophy.
I see that there is room for a possible 3rd major, is it possible to do 3 majors?
I think you can do a 3rd major as long as one of them is a language

Sammi B

HSC
I'll be doing it in 2009. What will your majors be?

SydneyHigh08 said:
i'm doing this degree too :)
except not til 2010...sammi will you be doing it next year or are you taking a gap year too?

adamparker69

HSC
liberal studies '09 woohoo!

im planning on majoring in music and biology, doin german as a language.
hopin to get into grad med. thats the plan anyway :)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC

Hey, I'm doing a major in Biology too. :) Notice everyone on the day doing Liberal Studies seemed to be doing Psych, lol? I'm going to major in Chinese probs, and maybe Linguistics. I already speak German. :)

Sammi B

HSC

MAJORLY late reply haha but just wondering how u have found first year? Things go to plan?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)