Raw marks for a 99.6+ ATAR? (1 Viewer)

chilli_

HSC
I just sat my first batch of Year 12 exams and it's not looking too bright 🙁 I believe I lost at least 5-6 marks on my Maths EXT1 exam, which brings my mark to a low 80%, and I don't know how much that would affect my goal of getting a 99.80 ATAR. For reference, I came around 2nd/101 students last year, so I am (really) put down by this mark.

Is it possible to bounce back and get top 5 in my grade? What marks would be needed to achieve a 99.8 ATAR (my school is ranked around the 20s). I also do the following subjects
EXT2
English Adv
Chem
Bio
Economics

Thanks 🙏

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, the higher your ATAR aim, the less room there is for error. In your case, your goal of achieving a 99.80 ATAR means that you must ideally perform at the highest possible standard in your school-based assessment tasks/exams (allowing you to ensure sufficiently high ranks relative to your cohort) and in your HSC exams. The exact impact of your performance on your chances of achieving your ATAR goal depends on your ranks following your first set of year 12 exams and the weighting of each (where a higher weighting means a more significant effect and a lower weighting means a less significant effect). With that being said, many students who do not perform at the standard that they were hoping at the start of year 12 manage to make a comeback throughout the year and, in many cases, end up achieving their ATAR goals.

Based on this, you should be able to make a comeback. Since you attend a high-ranked school, the possibility of improving your rank, and the extent to which you may will depend on two factors, the first being the performance of your peers in their school-based assessment tasks/exams (which is beyond your control), and the second being your own performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams, which you must emphasise as you progress through year 12.

The link that Unovan provided above is to carrotsss's ATAR calculator, which is a tool that considers your raw marks in your trial exams or past papers in providing ATAR estimates. This may be a useful tool for you in terms of determining the approximate raw marks that you need to achieve and which would be consistent with your ATAR goal.

I hope this helps! 😄

Tribunal

HSC
I just sat my first batch of Year 12 exams and it's not looking too bright 🙁 I believe I lost at least 5-6 marks on my Maths EXT1 exam, which brings my mark to a low 80%, and I don't know how much that would affect my goal of getting a 99.80 ATAR. For reference, I came around 2nd/101 students last year, so I am (really) put down by this mark.

Is it possible to bounce back and get top 5 in my grade? What marks would be needed to achieve a 99.8 ATAR (my school is ranked around the 20s). I also do the following subjects
EXT2
English Adv
Chem
Bio
Economics

Thanks 🙏
What’s your study routine for maths extension?

chilli_

HSC
What’s your study routine for maths extension?
I usually do quite a few practice papers and find challenging questions - it's worked for me for the past few years. I really don't know why I did so poorly, maybe I was just too panicked during the exam 🙁

chilli_

HSC
Essentially, the higher your ATAR aim, the less room there is for error. In your case, your goal of achieving a 99.80 ATAR means that you must ideally perform at the highest possible standard in your school-based assessment tasks/exams (allowing you to ensure sufficiently high ranks relative to your cohort) and in your HSC exams. The exact impact of your performance on your chances of achieving your ATAR goal depends on your ranks following your first set of year 12 exams and the weighting of each (where a higher weighting means a more significant effect and a lower weighting means a less significant effect). With that being said, many students who do not perform at the standard that they were hoping at the start of year 12 manage to make a comeback throughout the year and, in many cases, end up achieving their ATAR goals.

Based on this, you should be able to make a comeback. Since you attend a high-ranked school, the possibility of improving your rank, and the extent to which you may will depend on two factors, the first being the performance of your peers in their school-based assessment tasks/exams (which is beyond your control), and the second being your own performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams, which you must emphasise as you progress through year 12.

The link that Unovan provided above is to carrotsss's ATAR calculator, which is a tool that considers your raw marks in your trial exams or past papers in providing ATAR estimates. This may be a useful tool for you in terms of determining the approximate raw marks that you need to achieve and which would be consistent with your ATAR goal.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you, I heard everyone lost a couple of marks but I don't think it was as much as I did (we haven't gotten the marks back yet 😞). The calculator boosted my confidence though!

victor_yan

HSC
Hi my name is Victor Yan and I graduated 2022 with an ATAR of 99.80. I currently study Law/Computer Science at UNSW. Just for reference if you're interested my marks were:
4u: 95
3u: 97
phys: 96
chem: 94
eng adv: 92

My 3u half yearly exam I came rank 30th, and that was 30% of internals. For the rest I got low 10s. This shows comeback is super possible. I went to SBHS.

I currently wish to share all the knowledge, experiences and mistakes I have accumulated with high school students. My vision is currently to post infographics and soon start a free email newsletter sharing HSC tips and systems to help students sproutify. (That's my platform name). It will be targeted at motivated students who want better systems and frameworks to navigate schooling. Stay tuned for more🌿

If you would like to reach out, I’d be more than happy to assist with any enquiries. You can DM me on Instagram @_sproutify_ or my personal instagram @_victor_yan_.

C_master

HSC
Hi my name is Victor Yan and I graduated 2022 with an ATAR of 99.80. I currently study Law/Computer Science at UNSW. Just for reference if you're interested my marks were:
4u: 95
3u: 97
phys: 96
chem: 94
eng adv: 92

My 3u half yearly exam I came rank 30th, and that was 30% of internals. For the rest I got low 10s. This shows comeback is super possible. I went to SBHS.

I currently wish to share all the knowledge, experiences and mistakes I have accumulated with high school students. My vision is currently to post infographics and soon start a free email newsletter sharing HSC tips and systems to help students sproutify. (That's my platform name). It will be targeted at motivated students who want better systems and frameworks to navigate schooling. Stay tuned for more🌿

If you would like to reach out, I’d be more than happy to assist with any enquiries. You can DM me on Instagram @_sproutify_ or my personal instagram @_victor_yan_.
Not free right?

victor_yan

HSC
Not free right?
My entire platform is free - social media, and soon to launch email newsletter program (which will share relevant tips as per the term progresses) ie) note taking for different subjects in beginning of term, and exam technique nearing toward end of term. Feel very welcome to dm me any enquiries you have, that is reasonable of course, and I am totally happy to give you free pointers or advice. Cheers

Tribunal

HSC
My entire platform is free - social media, and soon to launch email newsletter program (which will share relevant tips as per the term progresses) ie) note taking for different subjects in beginning of term, and exam technique nearing toward end of term. Feel very welcome to dm me any enquiries you have, that is reasonable of course, and I am totally happy to give you free pointers or advice. Cheers
where do you find the challenging questions? Are they from certain textbooks or just past papers in general?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)