raw marks and band cut offs (1 Viewer)

fantasia

HSC
yeh but roughly.. in one of lazarus' posts he said 34/50 was enough for a band E4.. which i found to be quite low.

Sonik

HSC
N/A
if by raw mark you mean assessment mark...I got 42 for that & then got 46 in the exam...I didn't really do exceptionally through the whole year...just pretty consistent...studied plenty for the exam though...so just work hard I guess haha its simple if you do..

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Candypants said:
As in every single other exam, it depends on how everyone else goes.
Not at all. It depends on how difficult the examination is judged to be by the Board's markers.

fantasia said:
yeh but roughly.. in one of lazarus' posts he said 34/50 was enough for a band E4.. which i found to be quite low.
That was only the raw band cut-off in 2001 - cut-offs for other years would likely be different.

HSC
N/A
I have always assumed that you'd need to get 45/50 at least to get a Band E4...

But anyway. i got an exam mark of 46, an assessment mark of 47, and HSC mark of 47 and a Band 4. :)

I think it'll slowly get harder each year. But generally, work hard, and if you're in it to compete, don't pit yourself against the rest of your school, but against the state... works both ways. If you go to an english freak school, you might not do very well and think you're terrible. You might also top a school where the english is not quite as good in comparison, and bomb out in the HSC as a result of differences in standards...

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
the 45/50 for a Band E4 is the aligned mark.

The raw band cut offs differ from year to year depending on the quality of the candiature and the difficulty of the paper.

What glitterfairy said though is absolutley right. I've always found the students at the end of the HSC who are the happiest are those who ran their own race. Do the best you can, work hard, and ignore the competition and you will be happy with that you get.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
This year i got 49/50 and i completely stuffed up the creative response. So im thinking 40/50 should get you aligned to 45+

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
For any of you who have just done the HSC, fill out a Freedom of Information application form. I'm not sure what the link is, but Lazarus has it somewhere. If you fill it out and submit it, you will be given your raw exam marks. That way we will know for sure what raw marks aligned to a Band E4 etc.

Karlz04

HSC
Ive filled out one of those. When I find out my raw mark for EE1 I'll let you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)