raw mark? (1 Viewer)

lordesf

HSC
does anyone know the scaling for IPT? im starting to get worried

in yr 11 i ussually get like high 70's.. but like i heard IPT is a scale down subject so like if i get say 76% raw mark in the hsc, wat is my hsc mark?

and how about say if i got 82% wat would be hsc mark be for tht?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
lordesf said:
does anyone know the scaling for IPT? im starting to get worried

in yr 11 i ussually get like high 70's.. but like i heard IPT is a scale down subject so like if i get say 76% raw mark in the hsc, wat is my hsc mark?

and how about say if i got 82% wat would be hsc mark be for tht?
The board does not publish the relationship between the raw mark and hsc mark. regardless, it changes from year to year. and what you are talking about is aligning, not scaling, scaling is done by UAC, not the Board, for the calculation of the UAI.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
i guess the problem with ipt is, its very easy compared to most of the other subjects. this means your mark will be moderated lower in order for the uac to fairly compare your level of achievement with someone else's who might for example, be doing the "academic" subjects like physics, chem, 4u maths etc etc.

btw try to grab your self a good rank, it really helps. i'd say your rank in the class would be more important than the mark you're getting.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
me121 said:
How do you know this?
If a person only has ten units and two of them are IPT, they would have to do pretty well (raw mark wise) to get a good UAI (unless they completely blitz all eight of their other units). It's only because IPT scales so badly that one would need a reasonably good raw mark.

I might be generalising, but I've always been told that for IPT to contribute positively to UAI, I needed to score a reasonably/very high raw mark.

EDIT: 85+ just seemed to be a "safe" mark to aim for in IPT. It's not unusual for a band 6 in IPT to not count towards a UAI if a person does 12 units.

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
o.bi.sess said:
If a person only has ten units and two of them are IPT, they would have to do pretty well (raw mark wise) to get a good UAI (unless they completely blitz all eight of their other units). It's only because IPT scales so badly that one would need a reasonably good raw mark.

I might be generalising, but I've always been told that for IPT to contribute positively to UAI, I needed to score a reasonably/very high raw mark.

EDIT: 85+ just seemed to be a "safe" mark to aim for in IPT. It's not unusual for a band 6 in IPT to not count towards a UAI if a person does 12 units.
I didn't mean to sound rude. It was just an estimation though, even I make estimations like this.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
me131 said:
I didn't mean to sound rude. It was just an estimation though, even I make estimations like this.
Lol, I know. Sorry if my reply sounds bitchy; it's just so hard to explain things in a forum without coming across as a brat.

And yes, 85+ it was just an estimation. For a "good" UAI (and everyone has different ideas of what a good UAI is), I would assum a raw of 85+ is needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)