Raw mark required to achieve Band 5 or 6 in Sciences. (1 Viewer)

hollaholla

HSC
No worries :)

Nope, your aligned mark is the HSC exam mark they give you after adjusting your raw exam mark.

Oh, if anyone knows what the cut off for a band 6 in bio is please share :)
hopefully its like...85 lol!

nah i think its around 88 surely.. bio aint too hard

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
last year, in order of scaling: chem, eco, phys, bio
This isn't a scaling thread.

And that order is correct if you're looking at the scaled mean which takes into account scaling at the lower ends. However, if you're looking at the higher ends the general order should be physics >= chem > eco (will vary from year to year)

AnandDNA

HSC
so what do you reckon will be band6 cut off for eco. Around 85 :S or a bit lower??

HSC
This isn't a scaling thread.

And that order is correct if you're looking at the scaled mean which takes into account scaling at the lower ends. However, if you're looking at the higher ends the general order should be physics >= chem > eco (will vary from year to year)
chem usually scales better than phys as the chem cohort is often more 'capable'

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you read my reply, i said that overall that is true. But when you get into the band 6 range (where most people would be aiming) physics > chem .
The effect scaling has on your raw marks for the two "harder" sciences, Chemistry and Physics... is not much different between the two - In the higher range scores Physics > Chemistry. Scaling only works as a measure of how well those students go in their other subjects with English being the big boss comparer. An aligned 90 (although scaling does not used aligned, but for my purposes) in either Chemistry or Physics only has a scaled equivalent that ranges from 0-1.5 scales marks different - which to be honest, is very small and often insignificant as it's only 2 units.

As a few other posts have said, the raw cut off marks to get an aligned mark of 90 (band 6) usually hang as 82 or 83 /100. So be aiming for that and higher ^_^.

For those who are using the incorrect terminology, you should really read up on the different processes and entities which control aligning and scaling which are both completely different.

jet

Banned
HSC
As Aquawhite was saying, there seems to be a bit of confusion as to the terminology.

ALIGNMENT: Done to both raw exam and assessment marks to fit them to a set of academic 'standards'. Determines the cut-offs for each band. Really just allows them to make bands 2-6 between 50-100%.

MODERATING: Done by the BOS to correct any differences in the strictness of marking between schools. 'Standardises' the school assessment mark in a way.

SCALING: Done by the UAC to the raw exam marks and the moderated assessment mark in order to determine rankings between students for the ATAR. Measures the relative 'difficulty' of different subjects.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
As Aquawhite was saying, there seems to be a bit of confusion as to the terminology.

ALIGNMENT: Done to both raw exam and assessment marks to fit them to a set of academic 'standards'. Determines the cut-offs for each band. Really just allows them to make bands 2-6 between 50-100%.

MODERATING: Done by the BOS to correct any differences in the strictness of marking between schools. 'Standardises' the school assessment mark in a way.

SCALING: Done by the UAC to the raw exam marks and the moderated assessment mark in order to determine rankings between students for the ATAR. Measures the relative 'difficulty' of different subjects.
In relation to the moderating and school assessment marks, the actual marks your school submit mean nothing, the ranks do. These marks are only used as a guide for the gaps when your externals marks are applied. The marks you get on the exam, make up your school assessment mark (depending on the gaps in the marks your school sends in - those marks will be moderated and affected accordingly).

jet

Banned
HSC
In relation to the moderating and school assessment marks, the actual marks your school submit mean nothing, the ranks do. These marks are only used as a guide for the gaps when your externals marks are applied. The marks you get on the exam, make up your school assessment mark (depending on the gaps in the marks your school sends in - those marks will be moderated and affected accordingly).
I know. They actually push them around so they fit on a similar curve to the HSC marks. I explained it all in another thread.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I know. They actually push them around so they fit on a similar curve to the HSC marks. I explained it all in another thread.
Yea, they have to fit onto a parabolic equation... or extremely close... rather than a linear one. Evil fellows down at the BOS.

jet

Banned
HSC
Yea, they have to fit onto a parabolic equation... or extremely close... rather than a linear one. Evil fellows down at the BOS.
Are you talking about the bell curve? THats 1/sqrt(2π) e^(-x^2/2) in its simplest form.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Bell curves are used in scaling. Parabolas are used in moderation.

Oh and jetblack, aligning is done after moderation.
Moderation always comes first.

jet

Banned
HSC
Bell curves are used in scaling. Parabolas are used in moderation.

Oh and jetblack, aligning is done after moderation.
Moderation always comes first.
I wasn't trying to imply what order they were in.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Mathematics isn't used in aligning aquawhite :D

And.. You know, I don't think it is possible to be aligned down. Not that I know for sure because raw marks aren't released to the public, but for the subjects that have had raw marks released, the band cutoffs are always lower than the number they show.

jet

Banned
HSC
Is it possible for marks to be aligned DOWN? lol
It would be unrealistic. E.g in chem, why align a band 6 down from 81/100 to 75 when they can align them up to 92/100. Makes us look better (though it is misleading).

Mathematics isn't used in aligning aquawhite :D

And.. You know, I don't think it is possible to be aligned down. Not that I know for sure because raw marks aren't released to the public, but for the subjects that have had raw marks released, the band cutoffs are always lower than the number they show.
That will change in time. As soon as I get my results I'm applying for raw marks for each question in each exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)