rates question (1 Viewer)

Satiric

HSC
i need help with this question..

this is from exercise 22.4 Q15 couchman & jones

A water trough is 200 cm long and has a cross section of a right angled isosceles triangle. Show that when the depth of the water is x cm, the volume of water in the tank is 200x^2 cm cubed. Water is poured in at a constant rate of 5 Litres per minute. Find the rate at which the water level is rising when the depth is 30 cm. (solved)

okay i have another question guys..
its similar and easier..but i cant get the hang of it :S
anyways the question is
The cross-section of a trough l metre long is in the shape of an isoseles triangle of base measurement of 2a metre and height b metre. Water leaks from the trough at a constant rate of c metre cubed/min. FInd the rate at which the water level is falling when the depth of the water is b/2 metre.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Are you sure that is the whole question?

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
^^ i agree

does it give perhaps the angle at which the sides of the trough are inclined??? cos otherwise you would have anotha pronumeral in there..

Satiric

HSC
yep. Thats the whole question word for word.
its impossible :S

jet

Banned
HSC
Actually, it makes sense now... Just imagine the right angle at the apex of the triangle. Hence, the angles are 45 degrees.

The reason i converted the dv/dt to mL was because the volume was expressed in cubic centimetres, and 1 cubic centimetre = 1 mL

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
Actually, it makes sense now... Just imagine the right angle at the apex of the triangle. Hence, the angles are 45 degrees.

The reason i converted the dv/dt to mL was because the volume was expressed in cubic centimetres, and 1 cubic centimetre = 1 mL
shit completely missed where it said "right angle"

oh well

you win lol

EvoRevolution

HSC
yea lol this i had troubles with this question aswell, the only one i didnt get.
But i didn't wht the F___ a water trough was so yea.

Satiric

HSC

holy crap.
thanks a lot man. =D

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I thought you just posted a new problem. I typed out the solution (with great difficulty for me) and when I pressed the button to send it says invalid thread. what a wasted effort.

I'm assuming top of trough is 2a wide (question ambiguous to me)

Satiric: did u not post a 2nd rates problem not long ago to which above is my attempted solution.

Last edited:

Satiric

HSC
I thought you just posted a new problem. I typed out the solution (with great difficulty for me) and when I pressed the button to send it says invalid thread. what a wasted effort.

I'm assuming top of trough is 2a wide (question ambiguous to me)

Satiric: did u not post a 2nd rates problem not long ago to which above is my attempted solution.
yea i did. sorry about that.
I thought i had it..when i didnt :S
anyways thanks a lot.
can u plz explain how you got 2ax/b in the first line? Im really stupid :S
thanks

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Imagine the full isosceles triangle base 2a; go x metres from bottom up the perpendicular bisector of the triangle. draw a line parallel to the base (the top of the trough). Then the smaller lower triangle is similar to the original cross=sectional isosceles triangle. Therefore, since similar triangles are proportional, x/(its base) = b/2a so thst base of smaller triangle is 2ax/b and the area of triangle = half x base x height = (1/2) . (2ax/b) .x = ax^2/b and for its volume multiply by length = 1 metre so that V(x) = 1 . ax^2/b and I've used V(x) to emphasise that it is a function of 'x'.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

Satiric

HSC
Imagine the full isosceles triangle base 2a; go x metres from bottom up the perpendicular bisector of the triangle. draw a line parallel to the base (the top of the trough). Then the smaller lower triangle is similar to the original cross=sectional isosceles triangle. Therefore, since similar triangles are proportional, x/(its base) = b/2a so thst base of smaller triangle is 2ax/b and the area of triangle = half x base x height = (1/2) . (2ax/b) .x = ax^2/b and for its volume multiply by length = 1 metre so that V(x) = 1 . ax^2/b and I've used V(x) to emphasise that it is a function of 'x'.

hope this helps.
yep. got it
thanks a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)