rate my business essay on influence on operations.. (1 Viewer)

Abanious

HSC
N/A
PLEASE READ. IM HERE FOR FEEDBACK ON THE QUESTION AND CASE STUDY..

i did apple, and everything i said was from my head, so little research was conducted.

i answered the first part of the question, because the second part is easy..

the main point of this is because i have had little practise in writing essays and incoporating case studies in them. so what im asking is have i correctly and effectively answered the question, and is the way i incoporate my case study right?

How does an understanding of the influences on operations contribute to business success?
Influences on operations management have a dual effect on the businesses.. They can cause the business to undergo change and to adjust to external factors, as responsiveness to change is a constant issue. The second effect is the threats and opportunities influences present. An understanding of these external influences can help a business be able to manage and respond to them in an efficient manner by implementing various strategies. As such, this will contribute to the success of the business. Influences on operations management include: Globalisation, quality expectations, actions of competitors, technology, government policies, legal regulations and environment sustainability.

One of the main influences on operations management is globalisation. Globalisation refers to the removal of trade barriers between nations, and is defined as the integration and interdependence of national economies forming a global economy. Integration means joining together through trade, deregulation and technology. The reasons for this are that businesses can drive costs down and exploit the competitive advantage each region has to offer. Apple recognised early advantages of globalisation and implemented various strategies to expand internationally resulting in the development of stores which operate in over 30 countries now. Additionally, globalisation has allowed Apple to globally source materials/inputs and achieve cost advantages by producing on a larger scale through economies of scale. By understanding the influence of globalisation, Apple was able to positively respond and adjust to accordingly.

Another significant influence on operations management arises from the expectations of quality of customers. Quality may refer to how well designed, made and functional a product is, and the expectation that people have of a business will determine the way that the products are designed, created and delivered to customers. This implies that operations processes must follow certain standards or prescribed minimum levels of excellence. Apple has established itself as a top technology manufacturing company. As such, Apple consumers have great quality expectations and expect that all products of apple to be reliable, durable and fit for purpose. Apple has clearly understood such factors and has developed a system that establishes a series of tests to ensure that all products of Apple pass a quality test before it is distributed. Additionally, because of changing consumer tastes and advances in technology, Apple needs to upgrade and adjust current models of their products in order to fully satisfy the needs of consumers’ expectations. As such, every year or two, Apple develops new models of their IPhone, IPod touch and laptops that match the quality expectations of present and potential customers.

All businesses operate in a politically legal environment and co-exist in the legal framework of the government. Government decisions affect the business rules and regulations, which directly affects the management of various key business functions. Government policies are a notable source of change and a significant influence on the operations management. Policies such as taxation rates, OHS, training and rules, public health policies, environmental policies, employment relations, trade and industry policies all impact on operations. Thus, operation manager’s need to be fully aware of the government policies and what they comprise of. By understanding these policies, businesses such as Apple have shaped their practises around these policies to ensure they don’t breach any government policies. For example, Apple has a fair employment relations system, making sure that things such as unfair dismissal, discrimination and unequal employment opportunity do not occur.

A very significant external factor that affects operations function of a business is that of laws and regulations. The aim of these regulations is to promote safety and fair business conduct, and these exist at local, state and federal levels. Similarly to government policies, it is the legal responsibility of the operations manager to be aware of all the laws relevant to the operations function and ensure that the business complies with them. If a business does not comply with such laws and regulations, then they could potentially face financial and legal problems, which could give the business a bad reputation and there would be immense costs associated with facing the problem. Apple is a fine example of a company who complies with the laws and regulations set. For example, Apple has had to ensure that employees are provided with a good working environment under the workplace safety act. Additionally, they must ensure that hazardous wastes, fuels and chemicals do not enter any manufacturing environment to ensure the complete safety of all employees.
Furthermore, a significant influence on operations management arises from the actions of competitors and the way they price their products. In competing businesses, the action of competitors can have a huge impact on operations management. Cost based competition derives from determining breakeven point and recognises that prices cannot keep increasing. Therefore, reducing costs is a way to maximise profits when revenues are fixed. Apple has recognised the fact that it has various sources of competition and responds accordingly. Apple has attained cost advantages through achieving economies of scale, using cheaper inputs, outsourcing various business functions and implementing a wide variety of strategies that aim to minimize expenses where possible.

Technology plays an important role in the applications of operations management of a business and is also an external influence. Technology may bring great productivity and efficiency to a business. At an administrative level, the technologies that apple uses assist with organisation, planning and decision making. Conversely, at a processing level, technologies that apple uses in manufacturing assist with logistics, distribution, quality, inventory management and sourcing. Technology has had a huge impact on the operations function, as it has enabled greater communication systems and enables Apple to improve its processes.

zb123

HSC
Need more specifics, and maybe add another case study - specifically with government or legal regulations. Yours is too general there. They want specifics and variety as well. And you should place more emphasis on technology - given that Apple are innovators of technology

Examine

same
HSC
Agreed with zb123, the information you've given for Apple Inc. is a bit too general. Also it'd probably be better to use an Australian business to reflect on government policies, legal regulations to make it more relevant to Australian law.

Last edited:

Abanious

HSC
N/A
thnx for the feedback guis, and i said i had done no research, everything was just done from the top of my head.. but il get 2/3 case studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)