Ranks-> uai? (1 Viewer)

travalina

HSC
I heard from a friend that if you are ranked in the top 5 for all your subjects or the vast majority of them, that you are basically gauranteed a uai of 90? Is this true or just rubbish? whats the relationship between ranks ( based on internal assessments) and Uai?

sasquatch

HSC
probably true if you are consistent in your hsc exam, and the fact that your school aint crap. (dont mean school ranking.. im refering to the difficulty of the tests and the abilites of the students).

A l

HSC
N/A
Your UAI is more dependent on your performance in the HSC examinations than internal assessments. Whilst it is also dependent on internal ranks, there is NO set numerical value for a particular rank. So hence, there is NO GUARANTEE. Internal assessment tasks are not as significant as the rank for the final exam.
Without going to the complicated issues, for example if you are doing really well in your internal assessments but you do badly in the HSC examinations, then that assessment mark (hence final mark) will be dragged downhill. On the other hand if you are doing badly in all your internal assessments but you do really well in the HSC examinations then your assessment mark (hence final mark) will be pulled uphill.
So even if you get top 5 across all courses, if you perform poorly in the HSC examinations then your overall score would be low. However, if you perform well in the HSC examinations then your overall score would be high.
Therefore, your performance in the external HSC examinations is probably the largest contributor to your UAI.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
travalina said:
I heard from a friend that if you are ranked in the top 5 for all your subjects or the vast majority of them, that you are basically gauranteed a uai of 90? Is this true or just rubbish? whats the relationship between ranks ( based on internal assessments) and Uai?
The search function maybe?

Anyways, that’s the stupidest thing I ever heard. Nothing, guarantees you a UAI of or > then 90. However hard work will/might bring you closer to that prospect.

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Tisk tisk, there are so many myths floating around passed on from student to student about the HSC, scaling, ranks etc.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
plus in some classes there's <10 people

i suspect those who are top 5 are in such classes. pfft try topping a 250-strong grade maybe :p

and even that, that won't assure you of a top uai. just like ext 2 maths and sciences won't either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)