Rankings for 95+ ? (1 Viewer)

jadiskris

HSC
I just started Year 11 and at the moment I am so confused about all of my subject choices. Below are the list of all the subjects I am currently doing:

English Advanced
English Extension 1
Mathematics Advanced
Economics
Modern History
Business Studies
Society and Culture

I am loving all of my subjects except for Maths. I have never been a big fan of it. At the moment I am not having that much trouble with it but I think I will lose the motivation to continue as the time goes on. I only chose it in the beginning so I can have more choices for courses at university but I don't think I will be able to continue. I am thinking of dropping it and changing Mathematics for Legal Studies but some people have been telling me that it's not possible or extremely hard to get an ATAR of 90+ when you do absolutely no Maths subjects. I know this is not true of course as it's possible to get any ATAR with any subject combinations, it all just depends on your performance.

However I do know for a fact this will definitely have an impact on me. I would like to know what ranking I should aim to get within the school if I want to achieve an ATAR of say, at least 90 and above. Also, I am in a pretty low ranking school so how would this impact?

Can someone please fill me up on this?
I know by dropping Maths completely it'll leave me less room for error and I will have to get all Band 5 for all of my subjects to be even possible of anywhere near a 90+ ATAR. Unfortunately because I just started Year 11 I don't know whether I'll do well in all of my subjects, even if I like them. Hence I am this extremely awkward position.

Please help!
Thank you!
:smile:

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
What is the size of the cohort for each of your subject?

jadiskris

HSC
What is the size of the cohort for each of your subject?
Oh wow I didn't know you need so much information.
Some are just estimates

English Ext ( 24 )
English Adv ( 180 )
Mathematics Adv ( 240 )
Economics ( 120 )
Modern History ( 120 )
Business Studies ( 90 )

iBibah

HSC
Some are just estimates

English Ext ( 24 )
English Adv ( 180 )
Mathematics Adv ( 240 )
Economics ( 120 )
Modern History ( 120 )
Business Studies ( 90 )
How many people in your cohort in total? Is it a senior school or something?

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
English Ext ( 24 ) - 2
English Adv ( 180 ) - 5
Mathematics Adv ( 240 ) - 10ish
Economics ( 120 ) - 8
Modern History ( 120 ) - 7
Business Studies ( 90 ) - 5

jadiskris

HSC
English Ext ( 24 ) - 2
English Adv ( 180 ) - 5
Mathematics Adv ( 240 ) - 10ish
Economics ( 120 ) - 8
Modern History ( 120 ) - 7
Business Studies ( 90 ) - 5
I guess I really have to put it all in then :B
Thanks.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Some are just estimates

English Ext ( 24 )
English Adv ( 180 )
Mathematics Adv ( 240 )
Economics ( 120 )
Modern History ( 120 )
Business Studies ( 90 )
Firstly 130 is a good ranking school, not a bad lol. Not doing any mathematics at all is not hindering to whatever ATAR you desire, even if it is a 99.95 as you have to be good at maths for it to help towards it.

I think the estimates for ranks were a bit steep above, do you know how many 95+ers your school normally gets?

Adv English: top 10
Ext English: top 3-4
Adv Mathematics: top 20-30
Economics: top 10
Modern: top 10
Business: top 10

Capt Rifle

HSC
Firstly 130 is a good ranking school, not a bad lol. Not doing any mathematics at all is not hindering to whatever ATAR you desire, even if it is a 99.95 as you have to be good at maths for it to help towards it.

I think the estimates for ranks were a bit steep above, do you know how many 95+ers your school normally gets?

Yeh that seems legit, nws' one would probably be for 97+

jadiskris

HSC

It is? I've always thought the top schools should be in say at least the top 50s. I have no idea how many 95+ my school gets but I know sooner or later I'll look into it. Thanks for clearing that up though!

Just another question if you don't mind though: my friend is doing almost the same subjects as me but instead she's in a school that ranks of around 400-500 and when she asked me about how it will effect her I honestly did not know the answer. Please help?

deloving

HSC
It is? I've always thought the top schools should be in say at least the top 50s. I have no idea how many 95+ my school gets but I know sooner or later I'll look into it. Thanks for clearing that up though!

Just another question if you don't mind though: my friend is doing almost the same subjects as me but instead she's in a school that ranks of around 400-500 and when she asked me about how it will effect her I honestly did not know the answer. Please help?
She would need to top most of her subjects to have a chance at 95+. Estimates become hard at schools ranked that low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)