Ranking and HSC Questions -Why is this so confusing......- (1 Viewer)

Jenny927

Buttercup
HSC
Alright, so I am still not understanding this. I've gone through so many threads and none has really answered my question.

Example:

Person 1 - EXTERNAL result = 80, Rank = 1
Person 2 - EXTERNAL result = 90, Rank = 2

Will Person 1 get Person 2's result? AND Person 2 get person 1's result since 80 is the second highest result?

This is a real example based on my rank and estimated result:

Person 1 - External result = 40/100 and is ranked 15/20
Person 2 (which is me) - External result = 60/100 (I already calculated my expected hsc raw) and is ranked 16/20

Basically same question as above.

QZP

HSC
* Just for clarification, your HSC mark (overall one on certificate) is a combination of your exam mark (individual performance in HSC exam) and assessment mark (determined by your internal ranking considering relative gaps between ranks and your overall cohort performance).
HSC mark = (exam mark + assessment mark)/2

The process is a lot more complex than what you described which is probably why no one can easily answer your question.

The nth rank person DOES NOT simply get the nth highest exam mark as their assessment mark. But what is for certain is that the nth rank will get the nth highest assessment mark (note the key differences here). How the assessment mark is calculated read above. It is meant to reflect your rank considering relative gaps between ranks and overall cohort performance. If you all did well, then you will all get good assessment marks. If you are many marks behind the person ranked above you internally, then that will also be reflected in the assessment mark you receive.

Edit: There is no point trying to understand the system when we have no control over it. Just trust that everything is fair and move on.

Last edited:

Jenny927

Buttercup
HSC
I see, its just that for one of the exam I know that I did alright because the paper wasn't too hard on me compared to the trials which is why my rank plummeted down so badly. And the person above me said she didn't even try and basically for me it means she won't pass. And also the students that are below my rank are most likely not going to perform well either, which I mean by not passing not to be mean. So therefore it seems like I am trapped in a bad sandwich (e.g. 15th gets 40, 16th gets 60, 17th gets 30 and so on... as a result I get 40something :/ since the 16th result is 40 which would go to the person ranked 16th which is me)

Jenny927

Buttercup
HSC
Sorry if it seems like i'm repeating myself, I get what you're saying... It's hard to explain about these results, so complicated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)