Rank in HSC (1 Viewer)

LaurenHarvey

HSC
I know this question has probably been asked time and time again, but I'm still not sure... how much effect does your rank have on your final HSC mark?
Thanks

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
LaurenHarvey said:
I know this question has probably been asked time and time again, but I'm still not sure... how much effect does your rank have on your final HSC mark?
Thanks
Lots.

bmwz4

HSC
if you rank 1st in a couple of subjects are u gauranteed a uai of 90+ or what?

bmwz4

HSC
Without Wings said:
Internally? no there are no guarantees. Obviously different schools have different number of students as well as level of abilities & difficulty of tasks so there is no guarantee that a student who came first internally will end up with the HSC marks to get a uai of over 90. But obviously being ranked first in your subjects is the best place to be :)
well if not gauranteed, then are the chances greater? ur probably thinking dur yes, but by how much, significantly?

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
what happens if ranking is so tight that you getl ike 4 ppl with equal rankings and all...wouldnt that mean ranking would have a less effect?

Marny

HSC
I can say that high ranks can affect ur HSC mark.

I did 2Unit and Ext 1 Maths last yr and go a 90+ mark for both. My rank was top 5 in both classes. i no that i definitely DID NOT get 90+ in both exams for my actual mark but my rank obviously shifted it up to that. i no that a lot of other things influeced my marks but rank was a big component.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Marny said:
I can say that high ranks can affect ur HSC mark.

I did 2Unit and Ext 1 Maths last yr and go a 90+ mark for both. My rank was top 5 in both classes. i no that i definitely DID NOT get 90+ in both exams for my actual mark but my rank obviously shifted it up to that. i no that a lot of other things influeced my marks but rank was a big component.
How high for both subjects were your marks?

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
hey so what if you were ranked lets say 20 in maths and this is like overall, in terms of the internal assessments...would this mean that if you were to do really well in the external assessment and received teh second highest mark...it wouldtn go to you cuz you didnt rank well in teh internal assessment...are you sayign that we basically did good in teh external assessment for someone elses benefit? Like you said the person who came 1st in the internal assessment is awarded the top mark despite how they went in the external exam?

bmwz4

HSC
if i do really well in all of my subjects apart from maths...is there a chance i will get a high uai...im scared that im not doing any extensions and this will impact on me getting 90+...plz help

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well you have 12 units?

So in theory if maths is your worst subject then it won't count towards you UAI.

bmwz4

HSC
pritnep said:
Well you have 12 units?

So in theory if maths is your worst subject then it won't count towards you UAI.
but i feel bad for neglecting it sometimes LOL

beentherdunthat

HSC
Buiboi said:
what happens if ranking is so tight that you getl ike 4 ppl with equal rankings and all...wouldnt that mean ranking would have a less effect?
No your ranking is PRETTY important. I can use myself as an example. Last year I got ranked 14th for 2unit maths. What happened was I ended up with an equal exam raw mark of 98 with four other people who got ranked way higher than me. I got pulled down to 97.

With Biology, people who were ranked higher, got pulled up like 2 to 3 marks EACH. My friend got 87, rank was 25th out of 55 and she got pulled up to 90. My other friend was ranked 16th she got pulled up from 91 to 94. HOWEVER, a guy who's rank was EXTREMELY bad, like he was bottom 15, went really well in his HSC and ended up with a raw mark of 90. What happened was he got pulled down to 82. I'm serious. Other people who were ranked really low got pulled down from 89 to 84.

You're assesment mark is modified by the Board of Studies but you're RANK doesn't change. You'll be pretty upset if you get pulled down when you have such an amazing raw mark. I should know lol.

Last edited:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

HSC
So what if, like mine, all the classes have like 6 people in them and i come 1st or 2nd in internal marks...does that mean I am benefitting seeing as it is easier to come 1st or disadvantaged cause I didn't beat that many people

beentherdunthat

HSC
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa said:
So what if, like mine, all the classes have like 6 people in them and i come 1st or 2nd in internal marks...does that mean I am benefitting seeing as it is easier to come 1st or disadvantaged cause I didn't beat that many people
If the people that come 6th beat you, than you're mark will be pulled up to suit the ranks. (NEVER rely on this. Always aim to get really high so you get pulled up and the others get pulled up with you, that's why selective schools do better because everyone is getting really high collectively.) If they get higher than you in the examination, their mark will most likely be pulled down... one or two marks, sometimes more. Depending how much difference there is between your raw marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)