Rank 1st and Rank 1st by a relatively large margin. (1 Viewer)

runnable

HSC
JJmn said:
So you're saying that me coming first by 20% is as good as coming first by 1%?

Lol sounds like a shit idea to me too.

L

lsam

vulgarfraction said:
that depends on whether the HSC marks between the first person and last person are strecthed out linearly, or just allocated by what the actual people got.

...I'm confused. I've thought that the kth ranked person just gets the kth best mark from their school in the HSC, but I've heard that that's not the case.
Isn't that the ultimate truth, though?

That's what I thought all along and I believe that that's the case.

runnable

HSC
I think its more like the first and last are generally fixed. While everyone else in between is allocated by the difference in their marks? This sounds more reasonable.

L

lsam

runnable said:
I think its more like the first and last are generally fixed. While everyone else in between is allocated by the difference in their marks? This sounds more reasonable.
I cannot estimate the amount of effort the BOS needs to put in if that's the case.

runnable

HSC
lsam said:
I cannot estimate the amount of effort the BOS needs to put in if that's the case.
But BOS does make a lot of effort. So its time to appreciate them.

lionking1191

HSC
margin actually does matter, the school submits school assessment marks but only tells you the ranks

though, i would imagine being first makes no difference either way

runnable

HSC
Hows this theory.

The first and last in a year's marks are generally determined by the "highest external mark=internal mark for 1st ranked and lowest external mark=internal mark for the lowest ranked" theory.

Everyone in between, they get their internal marks by comparing the difference in marks from school submitted ranks. The larger the difference, the lower they get for their internal mark but never lower than the person ranked lowest.

Thus the 1st ranked person gets nothing so to speak by having a large margin. But the 2nd and so forth will start to lose out because they have demonstrated they are not nearly as good as the 1st ranked thus will not get anything like the internal mark of the 1st ranked.

lionking1191

HSC
runnable said:
Hows this theory.

The first and last in a year's marks are generally determined by the "highest external mark=internal mark for 1st ranked and lowest external mark=internal mark for the lowest ranked" theory.

Everyone in between, they get their internal marks by comparing the difference in marks from school submitted ranks. The larger the difference, the lower they get for their internal mark but never lower than the person ranked lowest.
that's pretty much it, except the school submits your assess. raw marks, the BOS then rank it (taking margins into acct) and then allocate you your hsc marks from the school pool

runnable

HSC
lou071 said:
this is what i understood from the other thread.
if u are ranked 1, you get the highest hsc mark as your internal
assessment mark.
so if u are ranked 1, the mark difference only matters to 2nd person and rest of people in the class.
if u are 1, u have nothing to worry.
It also means, the NO.2 and so on better start worrying.

runnable

HSC
lou071 said:
why worry???
what is your definition of 'big' mark difference?
Maybe 5-10% Thats already quite substantial.

If the top external mark is given to 1st ranked. And the 2nd ranked is quite far behind, he/she will get a lower internal mark.

runnable

HSC
lou071 said:
is this difference came from the calculation of all the assessment mark?
i still think 5-8% of ok... it is not that big..
this is what i personally think..
why do you think it is substantial??
Difference of 1st place to 2nd place by 5-8%. That is only when on average, the same person comes first and the same person comes second, and losing by an average of 5-8% in each assessment. That is say 91%, 83%.

Do you think them getting 91, 90 for their final internal mark is fair? Seeing that there has always been quite a gap.

runnable

HSC
lou071 said:
but they moderate the assessment which is allocated to students by ranking, by reflecting it to your hsc mark.
this is what i know.

Yes I think this is when difference in marks between rankings comes in.

iluvGG

HSC
if someone has a final assessment mark of 48.1 and someone has 47.9, what are the chances they will decide to give these poeple shared 1st? or is it just up to the school to decide?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
iluvGG said:
if someone has a final assessment mark of 48.1 and someone has 47.9, what are the chances they will decide to give these poeple shared 1st? or is it just up to the school to decide?
Up to the school to decide, I think.

But you will basically find that giving equal 1st is generally not the best way.

runnable

HSC
iluvGG said:

I feel in this case, equal first is awarded. And thats fair because there's really, not much of a difference.

But I find that being ranked 1st and 2nd with a margin of say 10% but getting a very similar internal mark due to simple case of ranks, is a bit of a joke.

adnan91

HSC
My english teacher said your rank will stay the same but your mark wont, so im guessing they fix them up. So yeah if there isnt much difference between 1st and 2nd then they will put you equal first so they push evry1 else up aswell thus make you look good on paper i guess

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
It should be solely based on externals imo. If you bomb out? Tough shit, piss poor excuse. That's what exams are for.

kriss3e

HSC
I really don't understand why you keep stating that its not fair if there's a 5 - 8% gap between first and second and so on.

First place STILL gets the higher mark, and first place WILL NOT get beaten no matter what for the internal mark, so whether the final mark given is a difference of 1, or a difference of 10, WHO CARES!

The person in second place may have worked just as hard, and in some cases the only reason they aren't ranked first is because of favouritism. So really, quit nagging and just leave it. You can't change the system.

runnable

HSC
kriss3e said:
I really don't understand why you keep stating that its not fair if there's a 5 - 8% gap between first and second and so on.

First place STILL gets the higher mark, and first place WILL NOT get beaten no matter what for the internal mark, so whether the final mark given is a difference of 1, or a difference of 10, WHO CARES!

The person in second place may have worked just as hard, and in some cases the only reason they aren't ranked first is because of favouritism. So really, quit nagging and just leave it. You can't change the system.
Lol the system has built in devices to fix the problem difference between ranks. So its you whom has to get used to the system and quit nagging.

I don't see how you think its fair that:

Person A: Rank 1 Mark 90

Person B: Rank 2 Mark 78

Person A Final Internal Mark: 90
Person B Final Internal Mark: 89

But the current system does take the difference between ranks into consideration. Was told that by Dean of Studies, Maths, Economics teachers. The first ranked's final internal mark will be highest external mark from the cohort, while the difference in the marks with the next ranked will be taken into consideration when allocating internal marks. Its no longer a simple case of highest external mark = 1st ranked's internal mark, 2nd highest external mark = 2nd ranked' internal mark and so on.

runnable

HSC
kriss3e said:
Who cares? The 1st ranked person who worked their ass off and smashed the 2nd ranked person in every assessment by a large margin and in the end getting an internal mark which is almost no different to the 2nd ranked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)