Ramisside period and Sparta: modern historians??? who and what do they say (1 Viewer)

ytimk

:confused: any help please!!! for these topics our classes were not given crap for modern historians
so anyone who knows wtf cartledge, barrow, fitzhardinge or any other historian thinks about any area of these topics, send in if u can

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Rammeside Period

I have some Modern Historian quotes for Rammeside Period from Ramses I - Ramses II: Sorry I don't have any others... getting them off my teacher next week. I guess you can come to your own conclusion about what these modern historian's think about each pharaoh.

Ramses I:

"Ramses had been Vizier and the kings deputy" (Newby)
"Ramses came from a comparatively obscure military family in the Delta" (Newby)
"The choice of Ramses as Horemhebs successor was based on three qualifications his ability, loyalty and line of heirs" (Bradley)
"The new pharaoh was deeply concerned/convince that his accession opened a new ear" (Kitchen)

Seti I:
"The cenetoph of Seti I was something of a political statement. In the temple he established his image as pharaoh" (Newby)
"Setis tomb is the most magnificent in the Valley of the Kings" (Newby)
"Seti had certainly made it clear that a revival of Egyptian power in the area was underway" (Newby)
"Seti could now indulge his twin ambition to be the new Thutmose III and a new Amenhotep III all in one" (Kitchen)
"The decrees of Seti I show the invocation of magic to support law" (Gardiner)
"When Seti diesthe country was prosperous and firmly administered" (Bradley)

Ramses II:

Ramses is the "symbol of the proud majority of Egypt through the ages" (Kitchen)
Ramses was the "overadvertised hero of Kadesh, a megabrainiac builder and unbridled despot" (Kitchen)
"...an unbridled despot, who took advantage of a reign of almost unparalleled length, and of the acquisitions of his father and ancestors, in order to torment his own subjects and strangers to the utmost of his power." (Kitchen)
"a brash young man...not overburdened with intelligence and singularly lacking in taste... [yet with] tremendous energy and personal magnetism." (William Hayes)
"Blatant advertising was used to cover up the failure to attain past glories" (Wilson)
His monuments "attempted to impress by overpowering size, without concern for artistic quality" (Breasted)
Size and quantity were Rames "major criteria for artistic effectiveness" (Wilson)
"Ramses chose administrators wisely and did not hesitate to promote men from outside the narrow aisle of Thebes and Memphis" (Bradley)
In his temples Ramses "sought to anchor the restored monarchy firmly in centre of the Egyptian religious faith and practice" (Grimal)
"If a rulers greatness be measured by the prosperity, balance and relative contentment of a nations society, then in that sense, Ramses was great" (Hayes and Kitchen)
"stupid and culpably inefficient general" (Wilson)

vivien

yep i have a few random Spartan quotes;

Victorian historian Gote: 'Of all the attributes of this remarkable community there is none more difficult to make out clearly than the condition and character of the Spartan women"

Cartledge; "it is hard to avoid the conclusion that the Spartans did, rightly or wrongly fear helot revolt- and with reason, in the light of the actual revolt of the mid 460's. Nor is it easy to avoid the expectation that this fear would have expressed itself nearer to home and in other ways than by stipulating allied foreign aid in case of helot revolt."

Talbert (in regard to helots) ; "the widespread willingness to undertake loyal military service demonstrates that by the 5th century the overwhelming majority had accommodated themselves to the demands of their masters"

i know they're a bit chunky and broad but hopefully they're helpful. Just go crazy with the sources in your text book, Antiquity 2 goes off!

kimmy5

go to your local library and borrow some books on sparta.... just skim the index for the relevant topic and then find some quotes.
i'm looking at
W.G Forrest
and Hooker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)