Raise the Speed Limit to Reduce Road Toll: Mark Skaife (1 Viewer)

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
On the show Sunday Night, Mark Skaife raised the idea of modelling the German system and raising the speed limits..

He also raised that the Germans make their learners learn how to drive at high speeds on the autobarn at speeds of like 160 km/h.

He says there are roads that are capable of higher speeds, that are not being used correctly

Would this make a difference or just raise the road toll?

HSC
no
skaife isnt an engineer
germany has VERY different transport dynamics to us

leave to speed zoning to engineers mr racing car driver

HSC
exactly
also
impossible
population density etc

also australian weather makes it hard lol bituminous seals only work in certain temp ranges
-5 to 45 temp ranges out here deteriorates seals quickly

also travel distances makes it silly. faster speeds to not reduce fatigue as much as you would think and in some circumstances increases it due to more concentration required at higher speeds

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think there is a case for rezoning some of the national highways. But by and large suburban and urban speed limits are pretty close to the mark. Skaife also touches on driver training which is something we definitely could do better.

HSC
what do you guys mean by better roads

its not a matter of "better" roads lol fatigue and stuff are big factors

towns are 1hr apart in aus compared to 10mins apart in germany

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
The NT used to have derestricted highways, I'm pretty sure a lot of them were single lane too

Then the gvt decided to implement a 130 km/h speed limit - and the road toll on those highways went way UP

so what the fucks going on there

aussie-boy

HSC
7 pages worth of debate here, from 3 months ago:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/214/news-current-affairs-politics/242275/plater-clocked-insane-speed.html

I don't know if limits should be raised, but I think cops should take a more progressive approach to road safety.

Eg:
-Contextual speeding, where you only get booked if you're going significantly faster than cars around you and thus are driving dangerously
-Proper enforcement of the "keep left when overtaking" law... undertaking is probably the greatest hazard on our motorways

The ACT is pretty good with speeding, drive up to 124km/h and only get 1 point (even for P-platers)

HSC
N/A
to be fair to Skaife, this was one of many proposals that he had. I think that taking one proposal out of context, as you just did, is unfair to the man.

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
get some stats for us bro this needs to be analysed
ok

In 2006, the year the 130km/h limit was introduced, 44 people died on NT roads. In 2007 57 were killed in road accidents, and in 2008 a total of 75 motorists perished.
Northern Territory Opposition Wants 130km/h Limit Removed On Stuart, Victoria and Barkly Highways | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

i would be interested to see whether those deaths were in urban or highway conditions but still, the trend prior to introduction of the speed limits was a declining road toll, not an increasing one

drive blog: NT road toll up despite speed limits

cf graph in this article

edit: plus what about roads like the M1 in queensland - 8 lanes, well engineered w/ 110k limit?

Optimus Prime

Electric Beats
Wherevr sentient beings are being mistreated
HSC
ok

Northern Territory Opposition Wants 130km/h Limit Removed On Stuart, Victoria and Barkly Highways | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

i would be interested to see whether those deaths were in urban or highway conditions but still, the trend prior to introduction of the speed limits was a declining road toll, not an increasing one

drive blog: NT road toll up despite speed limits

cf graph in this article

edit: plus what about roads like the M1 in queensland - 8 lanes, well engineered w/ 110k limit?
2 years is statistically insignificant, especially if the one before it was raised just happened to be a good year

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
On the show Sunday Night, Mark Skaife raised the idea of modelling the German system and raising the speed limits..

He also raised that the Germans make their learners learn how to drive at high speeds on the autobarn at speeds of like 160 km/h.

He says there are roads that are capable of higher speeds, that are not being used correctly

Would this make a difference or just raise the road toll?
http://www.autobarn.com.au/

Shane_

HSC
better driver training would make a lot more difference than keeping a low speed limit.

This zombie guy makes a point when he mentions the temp range, I've seen roads here so hot that they've quite literally melted. that can't be good for their long term condition

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)