• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

r u into asian films? (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Agree midnight. Tarantino isn't to blame. The problem in a lot of cases is that big studios simply refuse to release Asian movies without his seal of approval (as I believe was the case with Hero). Anyway the important thing is for Asian cinema to be getting some attention from Western audiences, whether Tarantino's name is attached doesn't really matter. Tarantino's probably one of around 2 directors that most people know anyway, Asian or not.

Doubtful that a movie like Battle Royale will get remade, chiefly because there are already loads of people in the West who have seen the original already.

Besides the mere idea of a bunch of adolescents hunting each other down would never get past the MPAA.

Last edited:

fantasia

HSC
i dont really mind if the directors do a good job with the original movie, but its just the fact that they're dealing with great asian movies (that would be great viewings on their own), and taking the idea/storyline and just turning it into a hollywood big budget movie. it's a trend thats been growing over the last few years.. especially with asian horrors.

i'd agree on tartantino helping asian films get into western audiences though. it's just abit annoying how every good asian movie has to have his name attached to it. It's good for asian cinema i guess, but i dont know... the guy just annoys me.

I dont think battle royale will ever get remade in the states. They havent even released it properly on dvd over there yet, due to the sensitive issues in the film. I mean kids killing kids will remind them too much of the columbine school massacre. Also i bet that if something like a school killing happens again, they'll immediately point the finger at Battle Royale and how it influenced blah blah.. Battle royale is a movie that americans need to watch, but won't.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
Benny_ said:
I have every confidence that Scorsese's remake of Infernal Affairs will be superior to the original. Different, but superior. You just can't go wrong with that cast and that director. Il mare though, will be shite.
I agree
i thought the original was fairly overrated anyhow

good to see scorsese back into crime films

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Dreamworks has bought the rights to ATOTS. Unfortunate, this is one Asian horror that's too good for a remake.

nwatts

HSC
Benny_ said:
I have every confidence that Scorsese's remake of Infernal Affairs will be superior to the original. Different, but superior. You just can't go wrong with that cast and that director. Il mare though, will be shite.
Ohh, yes I agree. Scorsese is the absolute master of the gangster film. Purists will complain, as they do when remakes are announced/released, but this will be a film i'll see on opening day.

I'm a massive fan of Wong Kar-wai's later work (In the Mood for Love, 2046), but cannot stand his earlier efforts (namely, Fallen Angels). Anyone else familar with his stuff? Comments?

HSC
i havent watched any of wong kar-wai's movies but i am looking 4ward to seeing 2046 soon. I heard he was making a movie with nicole kidman called 'The lady from shanghai', don't know it its true though.

For those who are interested in the movie remake debate check this article out- lotsa interesting points
http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/05/34/remaking_east_asia.html

the thing that makes me so into asian moives is that they have this mood or atmosphere u cant put ur finger on (read the article and u'll see). its more noticeable when you compare the original move and the remake. I watched half of ju-on the grudge 1 then a bit of the remake, and then therest of the original and finished the remake off a few days later- but for me the japanese one was so much more enjoyable. the remakes dont have that same feeling in them, they may be good with more flashy scenes but they just dont do it for me!

oyeh, theyre gonna remake the eye with renee zellweger in it, the phone, volcano high, my wife is a gangtsa and there are plans of makinga live action neon genesis evangelion by the U.S.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Ah.. Eva, how I loved that show 6 years ago, and what a great show it was. Can't say I'm looking forward to seeing the live action movie though, unless it's a entirely new sidestory.

From what I hear The Lady From Shanghai will not be a remake, but smething entirely different. Personally I would have preferred it if WKW had stuck with his other idea for his next project. That is a biopic about Bruce Lee's master. I really don't like Nicole Kidman.

nwatts- What didn't you like about Fallen Angels?, does your loathing of FA extend to his other early films?

Stan..

HSC
HK Martial Arts films are Awesome. However, Generally no.

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
I watched My Sassy Girl, a korean movie :)

Well the girl was a bit irritating at times, and it got a little boring in the middle, but I kept watching it (as I always do) and the end was sweet :) :)

So overall, not a bad movie.

The songs in it were nice!

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
fantasia said:
catch SHIRI on sbs tomorrow night at 11:10.
I watched it last night...i swear i ahve seen it before

I missed about 10 minutes of it though...

What happens after the guy follows hee into the aquariam and sees her arm bleeding? i missed it up to when she went to shoot the president...thanks :D

nwatts

HSC
Benny_ said:
nwatts- What didn't you like about Fallen Angels?, does your loathing of FA extend to his other early films?
I just thought it was very sloppy, the editing/cinematography just felt too over the top and bloated. I hated the constant voice-over narration, which articulated the entire narrative/character-base instead of letting the actors and dialogue speak for themselves. 2046 featured a lot of narration too, but it was used in a far more effective manner, giving the film grounding and occasional resonance. Rather than in Fallen Angels, where the narration held the entire film.

There were a handful of scenes in Fallen Angels that are just brilliant- one where the female character is sort of lamenting over the jukebox, filmed just superbly. But I didn't feel the film held itself together, at all. It felt incoherent and by the end simply became tedious. In contrast to say, In the Mood for Love, it felt like an incomplete or throwaround film. Through 2046/In the Mood for Love I got the idea that Wong was a kind of perfectionist, but Fallen Angels made me think twice entirely.

2046/In the Mood for Love also featured such stunning characters, namely Chow, that I could empathise with so heavily. I didn't feel anything for Fallen Angels' characters at all, because they never seemed to build properly. As well as that, the narration detached me from getting any sense of their personal character. I'm not a fan of narration at all (as you can probably already tell)- but I feel some films can pull it off (Amelie, any Kaufman-written film), and others like this just can't.

I've seen Chungking Express, which I thought was quite good. Didn't feel as thrown together as Fallen Angels, but didn't have the perfect quality of In the Mood for Love. I haven't yet seen Happy Together yet, but I'm very keen.

jeremiahk

HSC
Sad thing alot of the "popular" Asian movies in the West, while ok aren't as spectacular as some others.

But Asian movies rock.

Anyone seen Tom Yum Goong yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)