R + G are Dead/ Hamlet performance (1 Viewer)

mon_mon

HSC
Did anyone see the performance at Bondi Pavilion, on Thursday the 28th ( i think). If so, what did yuo think of it?

lbft

Geek
HSC
I saw R&G. I thought it was a bit over-the-top though.

Apart from Ros & Guil the other characters were way overacted. And I think they were trying to do as many sex references as possible with the script hehe :)

Edit: But I should say I really enjoyed it overall. Just reading the play I had trouble differentiating the characters of Ros & Guil..seeing them performed helped a lot.

mon_mon

HSC
i agree, the play was really over-sexed, playing for a high school audience the whole way. But the Hamlet afterwards was good, actually, both were good, R + G's characters particullaly. Interesting how they did the player, really liked him. But still, that bit about "rapiers, or rape, or both at once" was a bit ridiculous.

lbft

Geek
HSC
I suppose there's plenty of sex reference in parts of the actual text of the play itself but their performance had it as a constant theme all the way through.

It was really very silly sometimes..but it was funny too :)

Did they manage to stay serious throughout Hamlet? The portrayal of Claudius and Gertrude was very erm..non-Shakespearean in R&G..I have trouble seeing it fitting into Hamlet.

mon_mon

HSC
Well, its interesting actually, they had the same people do the parts, but act them really differently. R + G became really military and did everything in unison. Hamlet became....i guess more normal for a traditional hamlet, but the parents became normal. Even the players reverted to traditional parts, with no sex implied.
It was all a bit tame really. But still fairly good.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I really enjoyed Hamlet @ the Opera House. I know alot of people in my class didn't like Leon Ford who played Hamlet but I thought he was good.

mon_mon

HSC
Yeah, i guess anything can be better than that Keneth Branagh version. 4 hours! I found that such a massive epic. why bother? Mr Branagh is such a show pony.
The Bell Shakespear version was really good as well, aparently.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by mon_mon
Yeah, i guess anything can be better than that Keneth Branagh version. 4 hours! I found that such a massive epic. why bother? Mr Branagh is such a show pony.
The Bell Shakespear version was really good as well, aparently.

I'm watching the Mel Gibson version.....it's so boring!

mon_mon

HSC
Oooh! my uncle is Horatio in that version. i kid you not. Stephen Dillane is his name. But i agree, the version is more boring than drying paint.

mon_mon

HSC
you feel stupid? what about me? its kinda embarasing when we have to watch it in class. i dunno, Mel Gibson cant really do Shakespeare. or at least since i saw Mad Max i can't take him seriously.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
I saw it. I laughed pretty hard at all the sexual innuendo crap. I also can differnetiate between Ros and Guil now.

Liked the two main characters. Player was a bit scary I thought. The existentialsm really comes out in the play, had me depressed for a second or two ;)

Good use of not many props. If that makes sence ;)

Ac

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i saw the russian version of Hamlet and that was very good. the only problem was that the subtitles were shakespearean whereas the dialogue was colloquial russian. the music and acting were great though, better than the neglish ones.

mon_mon

HSC
Yeah, the player was weird. i saw him more as a "fool" in the sense of a wise/foolish, but in their production they made him really imposing and assured. i didn't really like that. and he reminded me of the penguin from batman too much.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
yep i saw it at bondi on thursday.. (how good was the Player~! hehe.. we were going on about his voice... )

i thought the ros& guild was pretty good, but it didnt' really carry out the humour part very well apart from the sexual innuendo. In the play it's got so much other types of humour; the vaudeville and the slapstick-type stuf, and it wasn't emphasised very much at all.. (they left out the trousers-falling-down bit~! lol...)

i was half-asleep for hamlet though.. hehe.. playing on the beach was too much for me... and the smoke was too much...

sponger69

I saw the plays performed well most of them i fell asleep in hamlet for a little bit due 2 having 2 get up at 3 in the morning nd getting off the bus nd straight into the theatre. It was so much easier to understand. i thought a pretty good job was done on both of them though. nd the fact that hamlet was a girl made it a little different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)