QUT, UQ or Griffith? Opinions please! (1 Viewer)

wolf22

HSC
Hi, I am a NSW guy looking to do Criminology next year at uni. I applied for the limited number of NSW degrees in this field... however lately I've also started considering the bris unis, seeing as they all seem to offer some sort of criminology program and they all look pretty good. Only thing is, which one is better? Mainly for the quality of the degree itself.. Like I hear griffith has a really good crim/justice based program. Then again the Ba of Justice at QUT sounds very tempting. I will be living at a close friends place in Highgate Hill, near West End, so i'll be relatively central to all three.

Any opinions and helpful advice would be appreciated, as although I know bris pretty well, I don't know anything about the unis! And if anyone wants to show me round a bit more if I do get up there, I'd love that to!

cheers guys

shady145

Banned
HSC
the deputy principal at my school says anyone who goes to Griffith is a drop kick, i don't know for criminology but in general they are rated like this (from his perspective) UQ, QUT, Griffith.

merillem

HSC
the deputy principal at my school says anyone who goes to Griffith is a drop kick, i don't know for criminology but in general they are rated like this (from his perspective) UQ, QUT, Griffith.
Sounds purely anecdotal to me. UQ (Group of 8 + research intensive) is certainly regarded top in a general sense....but every university has areas of excellence if you are looking for a specific area, as you are.

Call the criminology departments at those unis and ask them why you should study there - if their program is worth doing their reception person should be able to tell you their main selling points. If not, be wary.

And be wary of 'friend of a friend' advice.

shady145

Banned
HSC
if he/she went to such a prestigious university why is he/she a teacher?
he didnt go there
he used to be a lawyer, now he's a deputy... maybe something to do with age, i don't know.
thats just his opinion

chuha

HSC
N/A
QUT all the way!
awesome for law and criminolgy =)

patty4848

HSC
hey

I moved to brissy for uni for semester 1 this year... and I've visited all three unis (qut gardens point, uq st lucia and griffith nathan).
Do NOT listen to anything that people say about the prestige of these unis and the courses. Each of them have their strengths and weaknesses.

Firstly:
UQ - The campus is fantastic, outclasses everything in qld and nsw in terms of the campus (st lucia that is). For arts courses (including criminology) uq is very good. You should also consider that if you want to become a criminologist, entry is pretty competitive so postgraduate study may be an option. I'm pretty sure that UQ has postgraduate courses in something similar.

QUT - is by far the most up to date uni out of the three an in qld overall in terms of courses. You will find that the justice course, as with the law course, is very practical... you are often tested on your ability to apply things rather than theory, and that is the same for business based courses as well. QUT is also very modern. the campus is pretty small and crowded - but don't let that turn you off... nothing is greater than walking from one side of the campus to the other in no time at all. Also... its smack bang in the middle of the city, on the river. easily accessibly by train, bus and also the citycat. there is no point driving to qut... you won't get a park.

GRIFFITH - Griffith has the best criminology course out of the three - its very relevant, and i only knew one person who did it and she really enjoyed it. Nathan campus is pretty decent - nothing special but its pretty close to the city and the gold coast. DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THE DROPKICKS GO TO GRIFFITH. they don't have a clue what they are on about - and if they are teachers - then whoop-di-doo they still don't know what they are talking about. My law tutor told us he used to teach at griffith and he talked very highly of the other people who teach there and the courses in general.

I don't want to tell you what to do... but before i went up to qld, i went up there for a little trip and went and saw all of the unis and had a chat to the people. If i were you i would consider doing this, at least so you can get a feel of the place you will be studying - you can learn alot more by visiting than by listening to people's opinions and reading study prospectus'.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Griffith's Criminology can be done by distance through Open Uni's (www.open.edu.au), they have 4 study periods a year so you may be able to fast track it to under 2 years if that's important to you....

Slim9

HSC
I would highly recommend you staying in NSW and studying criminology at Sydney or UNSW or if you want a change in location got to UQ.

People that tell you Griffith is for drop kicks, I tend to agree but there are some smart people. On the whole the "average" students study at griffith, i know this first hand after spending 09 their.

I immensely urge you to stay in NSW or go to one of the G8 and look at their courses, talk to people who have are studying Criminology currently.

I currently am kicking myself after deciding not to go to UNSW, if you want to study with average people and become good friends and gain contacts with people with an average ambition level study at griffith otherwise go to one of the G8 or BOND as they are the best in Australia, hence the better students go their.

patty4848

HSC
I would highly recommend you staying in NSW and studying criminology at Sydney or UNSW or if you want a change in location got to UQ.

People that tell you Griffith is for drop kicks, I tend to agree but there are some smart people. On the whole the "average" students study at griffith, i know this first hand after spending 09 their.

I immensely urge you to stay in NSW or go to one of the G8 and look at their courses, talk to people who have are studying Criminology currently.

I currently am kicking myself after deciding not to go to UNSW, if you want to study with average people and become good friends and gain contacts with people with an average ambition level study at griffith otherwise go to one of the G8 or BOND as they are the best in Australia, hence the better students go their.
That is the worst advice I have ever heard...

to the OP: If you want to study business, arts or some other degree that is openly available at most unis, by all means go to a G8 if thats what you want... but you want to study criminology.

I love how people think G8 unis are the way to go no matter what you are studying... Criminology happens to be a program that Griffith is renowned for being one of the best at delivering to students.... just like its health sciences. So if you want to be a television producer or director, do you write off Charles Sturt for being a shit uni out in the middle of nowhere, despite the fact it offers the best television production degree in australia?

If you want to go to BOND by the way... start saving. Really start saving!

Do not make your decision based on the uni... make it based on the courses! Trust me, if you choose a degree because that's the degree that you want to do and you do well in it, you setting yourself up pretty well.

patty4848

HSC
Don't quote me on this, but i recall looking into bond uni and paying full fee (because they are not a gov uni so no HECS) it can cost up to 200,000 for a degree...

moc2009

HSC
N/A

I wouldn’t take advice from someone who doesn’t know the difference between “There”, “Their” and “They’re” – Obviously a drop kick.

I go to a G8 University, and I can tell you, it’s not all that. Griffith University is known for their Criminology Course and are one of the best in Australia for it. If that’s what you really want to do then I’d go to Griffith.

G8 Unis (from my own experience) are just full of fluff.

wolf22

HSC
Cheers guys, thanks for the opinions.

Griffith's criminology does look like a very good option. I'm not fussed on all that G8 crap, as a criminologist most of your work is in the public sector anyway and they couldn't give a single toss about what uni you went to.

UNSW's crim program does look pretty good as well, however..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)