quoting the author (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
so for a module b essay, there's a few insightful quotes i've found about the author (from interviews, newspaper articles, forewords, etc) of my text, in regards to the novel he wrote, the social climate within which he wrote it / his inspirations for the form/structure, the representation/meaning of certain concepts or ideas in his text. i was wondering if i could directly quote him in my essay and put it under context?

if i was allowed to do that, would i need to reference anything specific (eg. the interview he did where he said this and that?), or would it just be better to 'paraphrase' and not quote him at all? (i do feel like putting this one quote would help support my argument though)

roryahoy

HSC
so for a module b essay, there's a few insightful quotes i've found about the author (from interviews, newspaper articles, forewords, etc) of my text, in regards to the novel he wrote, the social climate within which he wrote it / his inspirations for the form/structure, the representation/meaning of certain concepts or ideas in his text. i was wondering if i could directly quote him in my essay and put it under context?

if i was allowed to do that, would i need to reference anything specific (eg. the interview he did where he said this and that?), or would it just be better to 'paraphrase' and not quote him at all? (i do feel like putting this one quote would help support my argument though)
Imagine Getting diRect insight from the Author themselves instead of Having to Make Up your own ideas :(

nsw..wollongong

HSC

yeah well i mean u could just link it to his purpose rather than quoting him directly, bc then it seems like what ur writing abt didn't come from ur own head, it came from his. honestly, whos gonna know if u quoted him in ur essay without acc using the quotation marks. say for eg he said in an interview that he aimed to warn audience abt the social malaise of modernity... don't actually quote him. just outright say it

graceluvsA's

HSC
I say its ok. I used a diary entry from Virginia Woolf for Mrs Dalloway and also mentioned her essay 'A room of ones own' and my tutor (shes a top hsc marker) loved it. It 'gets outside the text' which the teachers love. And ye im doing the same with T.S. Eliot.

MJRey

HSC
I did the same with Eliot by quoting his explanation of objective correlative and how he used it in his poetry to make it more impactful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)