Quotes on the top of essays (1 Viewer)

norez

HSC
Just curious for more opinions.

What do you think about putting quotes before essays? Relevant ones, from philosophers and stuff. Is it juvenile? Is it unnecessary?

I understand that for Module B it may be unwarranted, but for Belonging and others it seems that my wider reading is going to waste. I have one teacher in my school that promotes it, but I don't know.

Do you do it? Why? Why not?

Cheers.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's unecessary. You're writing an academic paper, which is used to focus on answering a specific question. You want to donate as much time to that, rather than waste it on a more than likely, less than perfect quote.

You're wider reading can be used in your actual essay to reinforce your arguments. However, the English exam and mark delegation is designed to function perfectly well without it. Wider reading is mostly used as a tool in order to expand your knowledge of the area, and engage you in a deeper critical analysis of the issue.

S4Saustralia

HSC
I wrote an essay on King Lear and made reference to Nietzsche's Ubermensch. Got 20/20 ...but I agree, it can be a waste of time.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
+1 to Absolutezero.

Unnecessary and not an HSC essay convention. Don't worry, I'm sure your wide reading is coming in more use than you realise :)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
absolutely no need

won't score you any extra marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)