quotes and sources (1 Viewer)

OutOfOrder

HSC
Any tips on remembering quotes and sources? :(
have an exam 2morro, i've got a great 30page summary on akh, but im having trouble remembering quotes and historian names!

X

xeuyrawp

OutOfOrder said:
Any tips on remembering quotes and sources? :(
have an exam 2morro, i've got a great 30page summary on akh, but im having trouble remembering quotes and historian names!
Although this is too late, can I say that noone should get bent up on remembering copious quotes.

People liken quotes in history to formulae in math. Not true.

I'd say, although it's different for Akh, learn about 3 paraphrases, and 1 quote for each pharaoh's main topics. Amenhotep = building / admin / Tye, akhenaten = religion / foreign relations / nefertiti, tut&aye = religion / admin, horemheb = admin / foreign relations, sety = military / building, ramses = everything. Also learn 3 paraphrases and 1 quote for the generic themes (a theme that's prominent, but couldn't ask you in relation to one pharaoh) = women / admin.

I hand wrote them, and then typed them, put them on post-it notes, put them in my bathroom, room, study, and shower, and then recorded them on my MD along with the essays, so I could listen whilst jogging, etc. I think voice is a great way of remembering things verbatum. :)

Don't learn anything more than 10 words, or something that would take you more than one breath to say. Better to learn about other things. Also, remember to mention other possible evidence, especially primary. Philological (writing), archaeological (artefacts, ecofacts, features), and art/architecture, are good catchy words to use. The honourific scarab amulets are great, as are statues :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Instead of remembering quotes from historians just be critical of them. My favourite when I did Ancient History was A.Gardener (Can't remember his first name). He mentioned Hatshepsut and her bunch of 'satellites' being displaced by Thutmose III. Anyway, I just used to say: "Hatshepsut was a decisive leader of Egypt, as history shows, though she does have her critics, such as Gardener, who often under estimates Hatshepsut and assumes that Thutmose III held a spiteful disdain for her, despite the contrary evidence. etc"

X

xeuyrawp

Enlightened_One said:
Instead of remembering quotes from historians just be critical of them. My favourite when I did Ancient History was A.Gardener (Can't remember his first name). He mentioned Hatshepsut and her bunch of 'satellites' being displaced by Thutmose III. Anyway, I just used to say: "Hatshepsut was a decisive leader of Egypt, as history shows, though she does have her critics, such as Gardener, who often under estimates Hatshepsut and assumes that Thutmose III held a spiteful disdain for her, despite the contrary evidence. etc"
That's a very good point:)

By doing that, you're reading analytically.

PS, it's Sir Alan Gardiner, who wrote his book The Egyptians as only a philological study, ie, he translated all the ancient texts and made judgements on that.

edit: Not to be confused with the Greek historian Gardener, or the Annales historian Gardner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)