Quotable Quotes (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Can 'Quotable Quotes' be for any topic? Hopefully at least one of these will be of use for someone.

Hatshepsut
Secondary-
In an age when warfare was impossible for her sex...Great though she was, her rule a distinct misfortune-JH Breasted, 'History Of Egypt'
She records no military campaigns-JA Wilson, 'The Culture Of Ancient Egypt'
It was a successful and stable reign...For the first time in the New Kingdom, a ruler had effective control over the Middle East-Charles Freeman 'Egypt, Greece, And Rome'.

I find that the above quotes work well in a question assessing modern interpretations of Hatshepsut..Discuss the criticism and overt misogyny of many interpretations, where they go wrong (Evidence for Hatshepsut's military campaigns etc:), and then link it into more positive interpretations, such as those of Freeman and Tyldersley.

Primary-
The roads that were blocked on both sides are [now] trodden-Speos Artemidos (Nice metaphor for the expansion of Egyptian trade and industry..)
I have made for him a Punt in his garden, just as he commanded me..Red Chapel Of Amen.
The majesty of Amen did all he desired with her-Deir-El-Bahri, 'Divine Birth'. (Can't escape sleaze in Ancient History..)
She was a dictator excellent of plans who reassured the two regions by her speaking-Inscription, Pre-Year 7.

The Minoans
I am much less certain that the rulers of Crete until 1450 were men...rather than women-Gerald Cargogan
The rite performed may have been intended to secure for the deceased a happy life after death in addition to the underworld C.Long.
The most famous laws are those designed for Crete by Minos..-Tacitus, The Annals p.132.

Egypt From Unification To VI Dynasty
Primary.
If you are in the Antechamber, stand and sit as fits your rank, which was assigned to you on the first day.-Do not trespass-Ptahhotep
The gates of heaven will be opened for the King, but the commoners will be prevented from entering-Pyramid Text #604
Do not allow anything to happen to him, even-Pyramid Text.
Every temple that has not been exempted//Pepi II, letter to Harkhuf
Groaning is throughout the land, mingled with laments, see now the land deprived of kingship-Ipuwer
[Being a scribe][/i]saves you from toil, it protects you from all manner of labour[/i]..

Secondary.
These changes were not affecting agricultural production, but by weakening the royal authority, they were slowly preparing conditions for a return to a situation comparable to that before the creation of one state-Jaromir Malik, 'In The Shadow Of The Pyramids.
In the earliest dynasties only those who carried within them the germ of divinity were sure of eternal life after death/-JA Wilson.
Ever since it's construction, remained a positive reminder that in Djoser's reign, Egyptian civilisation came of age-W.H James.

Does anyone have any useful quotes for Rome From Augustus To Titus? I've only managed to find a couple, in my 'independent research'...Please.

malayz_angel

Here are some on Xerxes...because I've only started studying him so far...

1) (About how Xerxes could never be satisfied)

" ...All his cavalry and infantry and fleets of ships...were not enough to satisfy him. And so he offered a reward to anyone who could discover some pleasure that was altogether new. Yet, even if such a thing had been found, he still would not have been content." --- Cicero 'On the Good Life' 7.19

2) (on his great achievements)

"Xerxes above all the kings of the Medes and the Persians who came after him used the greatest intellectual power, his achievements were glittering."--Pausanias 3.8

3) (about the need for more evidence)

"If we had only the archaeological and epigraphic evidence we might well take the reign of Xerxes as the golden age of the dynasty."---Burn, A.R. 'Persia and the Greeks: The Defence of the West" pp. 313-315

4) (about Xerxes' good and bad points)

" Xerxes was tall and of noble bearing, but he was violent, sensual, weak and indolent."--Huart, C. 'Ancient Persia and Iranian Civilization.' p60

5) (about Xerxes never being as good as his predecessors)

" Xerxes was a powerful figure, but it would seem that he never lived up to his early promise and was certainly never the king, or perhaps the man, that his father Darius had been."--Young, T.C. "The consolidation of the empire and its limits of growth under Darius and Xerxes" p 71

That's all for now, I'll be back with more Xerxes and hopefully other quotes for the Spartans, Minoans and Persian kingdom later on. Hope that helps someone out there! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)