quick show question (1 Viewer)

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
show that 1/ (x^2 -9) = 1/6 (1/(x-3) - 1/(x+3))
i . e

you cant go backwards right

Last edited:

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
With show questions, it doesn't matter which side you start with. If you can get to the line LHS=RHS, either from starting from the LHS or the RHS, then it has been done

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
ohexploitable is correct. All your doing is getting the same denominator inside the brackets by cross multiplying, then simplifying that result. Then cancelling down the 6's in the fractions.

fullonoob

HSC
i remember my maths teacher said you always have to go from LHS = RHS. If you do RHS = LHS you get zero, when marked by strict HSC markers.

fullonoob

HSC
how about if it says "prove". Then you must go from LHS to RHS?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
It doesn't matter. They both should equal each other, so RHS = LHS and vice versa.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
yeah rhs=lhs and lhs=rhs is the SAME thing!

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
It's encouraged to do LHS to RHS, but there's no real difference. I sincerely doubt that any teacher or marker would mark you incorrect for proving something equals something but did it with a different side than the previous person.

...Unless they hate you.

hscishard

HSC
:D from now on, I'm going to do the easier way, but if I did RHS = LHS I'll just write everything backwards - forwards. Then put therefore true, LHS = RHS

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
mmmm showing/proving is one of the easiest maths questions considering you are given the answer

hscishard

HSC
I personally find them hard. But the induction questions are easy. Weird

If it was so easy, why wouldn't textbooks provide the "show" answers in the answers section?

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
because it's too easy? only the working out is required and it's usually fairly basic. also i find induction easy too

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I always had this misconception too. You do not need to prove that LHS = RHS in any particular order. Often, the best choice, is to make the bigger one, smaller.

Usually, you will find that HSC questions are often just trig stuff, which gets easier with practice.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I've always been taught to look at whatever side you can do easier. Since LHS=RHS and vice versa, it shouldn't matter what side you do first.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
i remember my maths teacher said you always have to go from LHS = RHS. If you do RHS = LHS you get zero, when marked by strict HSC markers.
This is incorrect. Many Trig identity questions require that you start from RHS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)