quick question regarding GPA (1 Viewer)

BoganBoy

HSC
Can anyone tell me when applications are made for internships and grad position how does a firm differentiate students across universities?

for example, macquarie has 4 gpa for both D and HD, Usyd has GPA 7 for Hd, 6 for D etc. UNSW uses WAM instead.

Heard people telling me they convert GPA into Wam by dividing by 4??? lol, surely that is not right, as a student with 4 gpa would end up with 100 WAM??!!

I personally think firms dont look at your GPA at all. All they do is add up your marks and divide it by number of units you have done, which is basically WAM.

thinking of doing 1 easy unit next sem to jack up my GPA/WAM so i need to find out how it works. thanks

Last edited:
HSC
From my experience of doing the grad application process (managed to score a grad placement)
Firms just want to make sure you have the minimum required gpa (usually a credit) the dividiing by 4 thing is wrong.
if you really want to clarify in ur cover letters say that you have a gpa of 3.5 or whatever and say that its on a scale of 4.

BoganBoy

HSC
thanks for your reply.

I heard the big 4 accounting firms and the banks use the method you speak of, at least thats what they say.

I heard many firms sift out applicants through an automated process for first round interview. eg, GPA > 3 interview, otherwise reject. Think its because they get so many applicants to analyze all the transcripts one by one is just not possible.

anyone else shed some light on the selection process?

micky25

HSC
I just went though the grad application process, usually the apps end on the 18th april, a little earlier and a little later for some. Go to the graduate career fair next year and pick up a graduate opportunities book, it has the info on all grad jobs and closing dates.
Internships i think close sometime in 2nd semester.
A lot of the large firms recieve 1000s of applications and the first screening include GPA, but it is not usually incredibly high...some firms ask you to type in all your percentage marks from your subjects and work it out using that. The main thing is to get past the first round with a good application (not just GPA, a cover letter explaining why you want to work there and in the industry, a good tailored resume, points about urself that make you more attractive as a candidate ie work placements, internships, previous relevant jobs, community service, awards etc) and then work on interview skills.
My best advice is to apply for many places, not just the 'big 4' as a backup, and dont be afraid to apply for places not entirely relevant to your degree, because sometimes they dont mind

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)