Quick Question - EMF? (1 Viewer)

QZP

HSC
Have you learnt how to use the standard potentials on the data sheet?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
http://conqchem.cci.net.au/Exam12Frameset.htm-have a look at the explanation of answer for this question-it might clarify some things for you. Essentially, you need to recognise which species was being reduced and oxidised in this equation, and accordingly calculate the appropriate reduction/oxidation potential and get the voltage(EMF) of the cell by referring to the equations and potentials given on the HSC standard potentials table. Hope this helps a bit:)

Zokunu

HSC
http://conqchem.cci.net.au/Exam12Frameset.htm-have a look at the explanation of answer for this question-it might clarify some things for you. Essentially, you need to recognise which species was being reduced and oxidised in this equation, and accordingly calculate the appropriate reduction/oxidation potential and get the voltage(EMF) of the cell by referring to the equations and potentials given on the HSC standard potentials table. Hope this helps a bit:)
Thx strawberrye, i get how you get 0.77, but how did you get 1.36 as an EMF?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thx strawberrye, i get how you get 0.77, but how did you get 1.36 as an EMF?
Essentially, the Fe2+ was oxidised to Fe3+, so from question 13-if you answered it correctly, you would have known that Cr2O2-7 is being reduced, so if you refer to its reduction equation and potential on the electric potential table you will see it as a positive voltage of 1.36V-that's how you get the 1.36 V. However, the explanation is not stating that 1.36 is the EMF, the overall EMF is 1.36-0.77 where you will get 0.59V as the overall EMF of the cell, and hence A is the answer.

Last edited:

Zokunu

HSC
Essentially, the Fe2+ was oxidised to Fe3+, so from question 13-if you answered it correctly, you would have known that Cr2O2-7 is being reduced, so if you refer to its reduction equation and potential on the electric potential table you will see it as a positive voltage of 1.36V-that's how you get the 1.36 V. However, the explanation is not stating that 1.36 is the EMF, the overall EMF is 1.36-0.77 where you will get 0.59V as the overall EMF of the cell, and hence A is the answer.
wow, i was looking at my EPT table on conquering chemistry, at there was no reduced one where it equals 1.36.

thx man :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)