Quick Question about Chemistry Distillation (1 Viewer)

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Hi,
I just wanted to ask what is the proper way for the water to enter the condenser.
I have a conflicted opinion because my schools Chemistry Teacher claims that the water should enter from the top and exit the bottom, while tutor says that it should be filled from the bottom up.

Thanks

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
My teacher said bottom if i remember correctly.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Bottom to the top as the water stays in there for longer, wasting less water while still doing its job.

Your teacher should go check his/her facts or use common sense...

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Apparently according to her she said from top to bottom because you want to condense the hottest part (which is the top part) first. Because the bottom being the lowest point may not do it's job properly.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Apparently according to her she said from top to bottom because you want to condense the hottest part (which is the top part) first. Because the bottom being the lowest point may not do it's job properly.
with water rushing through the condenser even if you do bottom to top it would still be cool enough to condense the hottest part first :)

But even if it didn't, it would be cooled at the bottom so when it reaches the top it's more easily condensed (even with slightly warmer water) anyway.

snakeinthegrass

HSC
yes.... My chemistry teacher also says that water goes in from the top. I agree with my tutor that water goes in from the bottom. I also agree that my teacher should check her facts and use common sense because if water was to go in from the top, then it would quickly leak out the bottom.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)