• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Quick question about ANU (1 Viewer)

applepie123

HSC
Hi

Im from Victoria...would I only need an ENTER score of 75 to get into Commerce in ANU?

I dont know if im reading it correctly...because I googled ANU and it said it was Australia's top university? But to me...an ENTER of 75 seems a bit low...

Im not sure...so sorry if im being annoying...i jst need a clarification.

Is it different to Melbourne? Do you just apply online...and they accept/decline you? or do you have to sit a test as well?

Thankyou in advanced!

sparkerasp

HSC
applepie123 said:
I dont know if im reading it correctly...because I googled ANU and it said it was Australia's top university? But to me...an ENTER of 75 seems a bit low...

Is it different to Melbourne? Do you just apply online...and they accept/decline you? or do you have to sit a test as well?
Yes you are reading correctly, the ANU Commerce UAI is 75 (but it's always better to get a UAI that's a bit higher :)

The UAI cutoff is based on demand. That's why universities such as Melbourne, Sydney, UNSW, etc have higher UAIs because:
1. They are usually in the hubbub of the busy city, thus
2. More people choose to attend to live closer to home which drives up the demand for places and hence they have to raise the cutoff to accomodate.

There probably aren't as many people applying for Commerce at ANU which means that they may drop the UAI to allow more student places to be filled.

I'm quite sure that you simply apply online. You shouldn't have to sit a test, but then again, I'm not sure.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
sparkerasp said:
Yes you are reading correctly, the ANU Commerce UAI is 75 (but it's always better to get a UAI that's a bit higher :)

The UAI cutoff is based on demand. That's why universities such as Melbourne, Sydney, UNSW, etc have higher UAIs because:
1. They are usually in the hubbub of the busy city, thus
2. More people choose to attend to live closer to home which drives up the demand for places and hence they have to raise the cutoff to accomodate.

There probably aren't as many people applying for Commerce at ANU which means that they may drop the UAI to allow more student places to be filled.

I'm quite sure that you simply apply online. You shouldn't have to sit a test, but then again, I'm not sure.
ANU's cutoffs aren't set by supply and demand but are set by the university. That's why they've been so consistent over the last five years. Generally there seems to be a preference at ANU to keep cutoffs as low as possible, I posted an email from Ian Chubb a few weeks ago where he said that despite a rise in applications for 2009, he'd prefer to lobby the government for more HECS places rather than increase cutoffs. The logic is that it's is easy to get in, but it's hard to get out... particularly in economics ;)

The test you're thinking of is the uniTEST. You only need to take that if you just miss out on a place.

Last edited:

applepie123

HSC
hard to get out of economics ? lolol what do you mean by that ? you really enjoy it ?

hmm...im thinking maybe commerce/economics now...since the ENTER is still 75.

Thankyou as well! you both are really helpful :D

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
applepie123 said:
hard to get out of economics ? lolol what do you mean by that ? you really enjoy it ?

hmm...im thinking maybe commerce/economics now...since the ENTER is still 75.

Thankyou as well! you both are really helpful :D
I just mean that it's a really tricky degree, there's quite a high fail rate ;)

applepie123

HSC
ahhhhhh serious ? o_O
thanks for the heads up. lololol i might reconsider ..

applepie123

HSC
ohh yeah....
do you know when the closing dates are for applying ?
or am i too late already ? :S my friend said my careers teacher told us to apply for interstate courses back in august. but i never thought about ANU until today..lol
ahhh!

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
neo o said:
I just mean that it's a really tricky degree, there's quite a high fail rate ;)
it's okay so far for me (just finished 2nd year). if you put the work in you'll do well (cliche but it's true... like every course).

my mate studied his ass off and got an 88 in macro 2 (which scaled up truckloads this year according to my lecturer). fail rates i don't know about... it's all rumours/hearsay tbh - everyone will tell you different fail rates and stuff.

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
applepie123 said:
Hi

Im from Victoria...would I only need an ENTER score of 75 to get into Commerce in ANU?

Thankyou in advanced!
also trying to keep on topic:

- yes, ANU is Australia's (southern hemisphere's if you wanna be pedantic) top uni :)
- yes, commerce and economics needs 75 to get into. finance needs 85 and actuary needs 95. but DON't be fooled by the uai cutoffs, it is by no means an indication of how easy the course is. i've got several mates who scored 99 UAI's and they have had a lot of credit grades (60-69) in their uni lives, and it isn't because they were bludging.
- you apply through UAC (I THINK... may be different because you're in VIC). you sign up early in the year, and towards the end of the year you pop in your degree and uni preferences. the board of studies in your state then sends UAC your UAI automatically and UAC does the rest and slots you in a degree based on ranking order. it's a very straightforward thing ... i'm surprised you didnt know tbh.

Last edited:

applepie123

HSC
lol yeah, in victoria we have the same thing...its called VTAC tho. I jst wasn't sure whether it was the same in canberra. I think i read something about UAC and UAI somewhere...wasn't sure what they meant.

I think ur UAC means our VTAC
& ur UAI means our ENTER.

haha...took me ages to figure that out. lolol im slow :)

Also..would you know approximately how much $$ the degree for arts/commerce or commerce/economics is per year...and overall ? thanks !

applepie123

HSC
wow....i jst found a site...that said its around $18,500 a year o_O
thats comparatively high as opposed to melbourne uni commerce which is around $8,000. are those stats correct ? :S

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
nope. if you pay upfront it's $725/unit so that's about $6k a year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)