quick maths question.... (1 Viewer)

wallid

HSC
i got no ideaaa how to do this, someone please help

at 6% the present value of a series of payments is $1810. At 6.5% the present value the same series of payments is $1763. Use linear interpolation to estimate the rate of interest for which these payments have a present value of $1776???

much appreciated...

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
hi wallid,

in linear interpolation, you assume the quantities are changing with respect to each other at a constant rate - meaning that if you were to plot them on a graph of, say, percentage vs. payment, then the graph would be that of an oblique line.

define the function for payment as P(%), where '%' = the rate-of-interest variable.

ie. so the equation of the graph would be: P(%) = m.% + b ; where 'm' and 'b' are constants.

you have two sets of corresponding values in your possession already, namely:
1) at % = 6 , P = 1810 ; and 2) at % = 6.5 , P = 1763

substituting this into the expression for P yields two simultaneous equations:
i) 1810 = 6m + b ; and, ii) 1763 = 6.5m + b

solving these equations gives you: m = -94 ; and b = 2374

---> equation for P becomes: P(%) = -94(%) + 2374

now you want to know for what value of %, will give you a P = 1776 ; to do this, simply substitute P = 1776 into the new equation:

ie. 1776 = -94(%) + 2374

---> % = [approx.] 6.36

Therefore, for a payment of $1776, the rate of interest is approximately 6.36% .

hope that helps :)

P.S. if you need to do this graphically, then draw up a set of appropriately scaled axes, and then plot the two point you already know onto the plane - then, join those two points with a straight line, and then simply 'read off' the line for the corresponding value of rate of interest that gives you P = 1776.

also, linear interpolation is not part of the 4u syllabus btw...

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
oh and btw wallid, there is an easier way to do this if you approach the problem from the point of view of ratios - although that wouldn't really be the technique of linear interpolation anymore...

but just in case you might need it:

since everything is changing at the same rate - then you have delta(P)/delta(%) is a constant. where delta(P) is the change in payments, and, delta(%) is the change in rates of interest.

ie. (1763 - 1810)/(6.5 - 6) = -94

since this is constant, then -94 = (1776 - 1810)/(% - 6) = (-34)/(% - 6)

---> % = 6 + 34/94 = [approx.] 6.36

hence, for a rate of 6.36%, the payment is $1776.

this method is easier to use than the other one using the equation of lines - but the concept is the same. Here, you are simply finding/using the gradient of the linear graph rather than its entire equation.

turtle_2468

HSC
why do people never put things in the right forum?
This is NOT MX2 stuff. This is first year commerce stuff. So go put it in the extracurricular part..

香港!

HSC
wow Who_Loves_Maths u really know a lot of stuffs!

u really loves ur maths don't u?????????

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Isnt this topic in general maths? I recall helping someone with a similar question once.

turtle_2468

HSC
hmm... to be honest I've never done general maths. I'm assuming that the stuff isn't in 2, 3 or 4U so looks foreign to me... if it IS then can someone pm me or just reply on this thread? In that case, sorry.. but I know it doesn't belong on 4U :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)