quick commerical radioisotope question (1 Viewer)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
For the dotpoint, "describe how commerical radioisotopes are produced", if i were to provide an example, is technetium 99m the correct one or technetium 99? Or both? Thanks

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
In this case, the isotope produced commercially is the metastable one (Tc-99m).

However, given the dotpoint you can also go on to describe how transuranic commercial isotopes are produced, which might provide you a bit of flexibility on which you choose to know about. You can also use Co-60 here as that is a commercial isotope as well.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
For the dotpoint, "describe how commerical radioisotopes are produced", if i were to provide an example, is technetium 99m the correct one or technetium 99? Or both? Thanks
Technetium-99m is the radioisotope, releases relatively low energy gamma rays until it becomes stabler (technetium 99). The gamma rays are what makes it useful commercially, Tc-99 itself is pretty useless. For the dot point your asking, have to describe the process of producing Tc-99m from Mo-99 in a particle accelerator with relevant decay equations. Plural "radioisotopeS," i think HSC are allowed to ask you to describe 2 or more in one question, so make you sure you know another commercial radioisotope, like Am-241 from Pu-241.

Last edited:

DepressedPenguino

HSC
I am pretty comfortable with cobalt - 60 but i was just a little unsure about technetium -99m vs technetium 99. Thanks guy ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)