questions plz help me :D (1 Viewer)

totallybord

HSC
hi can someone plz help me with a few question
1) when you say yoji goro do u need a ni behind it ? coz u needa ni after all times ... and whats the difference between goro and gurai?
2) what s the iki in shidonii iki no basu ni norimasu?
3) how wld u tramnslate this sentence: people often watch tv? yoku hito wa terebi wo mimasu? but how wld u use hitobito?

thanx a lot for helping !!

rhia

salty
HSC
1) when you say yoji goro do u need a ni behind it ? coz u needa ni after all times ... and whats the difference between goro and gurai?

my grammar text book i just referenced says that ni is optional when it proceeds goro: you can use it if you want, don't use it if you don't want.

goro is used when you're talking about a 'rough' time, e.g. 'around four o'clock'.

gurai is used when you're talking about HOURS, not time, e.g. 'around four hours'.

2) what s the iki in shidonii iki no basu ni norimasu?

when a verb in the plain form is placed before a noun, you've created a relative clause. i would write the above sentence as 'shidonii ni iku basu ni norimasu', as i think the no is redundant (but i am beginner, and perhaps this is a structure i am unfamiliar with). so, shidonii ni iku basu means 'the bus going to sydney', and shidonii ni iku basu ni norimasu is, '(i) ride/am riding the bus that goes to sydney'.

3) how wld u tramnslate this sentence: people often watch tv? yoku hito wa terebi wo mimasu? but how wld u use hitobito?

you can't put yoku before hito, because an adjective placed before a noun qualifies that noun. plus, yoku is the adverbial form, and so shouldn't be placed before a noun, but rather before a verb.

hito wa terebi wo yoku mimasu.

don't know about hitobito though... hito doesn't seem right there, but i also don't see why not.

rhia

salty
HSC
LottoX said:
The シドニー行き means sydney-bound, as in city-bound bus. Although, yuki (as in yuku, i think you may have read the kanji incorrectly, as yuku and iku share the same kanji) is used more often.
thanks for that mate - didn't think the original poster meant yuki, thus my now pointless spiel about relative clauses. cheers.

P

pLuvia

LottoX said:
But then again, I could actually be wrong, but it seems to be what is being asked.
It certainly is yuki, common mistake

You can either use hitobito or hitotachi which ever is fine

Last edited by a moderator:

totallybord

HSC
hi,
thanx for your replies!! but...can i ask some more questions? well if i can:) here are the qs:
- u no how u have de after the means of transport like densha de ikimashita?
is there a de after takushii and ootobai? and what abt aruite, hashitte and isoide? do u just say aruite ikimashita and so on?
- and i sorta dun really get the difference between using soshite, sorekara, sonoato (u can use this for anything rite?), sonotsugi, soo suruto coz i once used one of them once and then my japanese teacher crossed it out and replaced it with soething else...but i didnt see the difference since basically tehy all mean and then or after that..
- also is there such a thing as benkyou dekimasu and densha dekimasu ?
- also theres no differnece between sukoshi and chotto rite?

and for old questions:
- for the yoji goro questions, i meant can u say yoji goro ni ikimashita? or do u miss out on the ni completely? :confused:
- and thanx for the difference between goro and gurai!! i get it now but... u can still say like ni ji yon juppun gurai kakatta? like if u wanna say it took 2 hrs and 40 mins rite? but i rmemebered that my teacher said that u dun need the kan after juppun rite?
anyway sorry im sure ill come up with more questions...hehe sorry
THANX FOR ALL UR REPLIES!!

P

pLuvia

is there a de after takushii and ootobai? and what abt aruite, hashitte and isoide? do u just say aruite ikimashita and so on?
Yes

Soshite is "and"
sorekara is "and then"
sonoato is "after that"
sonotsugi is "next"
sou suruto is "that way"

benkyou wo dekimasu
benkyou wo surukoto ga dekiru
Both mean the same thing

for densha you would rather say, densha ni nore masu, or norukoto ga dekimasu

sukoshi is "a little bit"
chotto is also "a little bit or a few

They are similar, chotto can be used as like "umm", i.e. chotto sumimasen, or chotto mate, you wouldn't say sukoshi mate.
There are times when you have to use one not the other

- for the yoji goro questions, i meant can u say yoji goro ni ikimashita? or do u miss out on the ni completely?
Don't need the "ni"

- and thanx for the difference between goro and gurai!! i get it now but... u can still say like ni ji yon juppun gurai kakatta? like if u wanna say it took 2 hrs and 40 mins rite? but i rmemebered that my teacher said that u dun need the kan after juppun rite?
"kan" is used for hours in that context, so I think you would need it there.

Hope that helps

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
totallybord said:
hi,
thanx for your replies!! but...can i ask some more questions? well if i can:) here are the qs:
- u no how u have de after the means of transport like densha de ikimashita?
you use "de" only after the transport which is a noun, so yes, after takushii, ootobai nado there is a "de". However if you change a verb into te-form, then you don't need to add a "de".

totallybord said:
you can say benkyou dekimasu, it is the same as saying benkyousuru koto ga dekimasu.
so:
o - benkyou dekimasu
o - benkyousuru koto ga dekimasu
o - benkyou ga dekimasu
x - benkyou wo dekimasu (usually use the particle "ga" with potential form)

However, the dekimasu here is used entirely differently from when you say densha de kimasu.

densha de kimasu 電車で来ます= i come by train (means of transport)
benkyou dekimasu 勉強できます= i can study (potential form)
it is important to distinguish between the two because two different verbs are used.

sukoshi and chotto are essentially the same, meaning a little or few.
Chotto can also be used to say "a moment" or "a little while" eg chotto matte kudasai.

yupgisonyun

HSC
mushroom_head said:
x - benkyou wo dekimasu (usually use the particle "ga" with potential form)

Formally, the particle "ga" is gramatically correct, but i'm led to believe that nowadays, the particle "wo" is acceptable. Of course, in exams you should stick to using "ga" just to be safe.

totallybord

HSC
hey thanx a lot for ur replies :) im very grateful but i stil have more questions:D
- whats butsukete? => i lookd it up and butsu is to beat or smak so i was wondering what the kete is?
- what does nagattenai mean?
- what words r there for "and" and "but" : i no theres de, -te form of verbs, -kute for i adj and de for na adj, but im not familiar with "shi"...
- also when u say soemthing said what do u use?
thanx a lot ...again:) :)

P

pLuvia

whats butsukete? => i lookd it up and butsu is to beat or smak so i was wondering what the kete is?
butsukeru is to throw at, or hit, so yes. The dictionary form is butsukeru so butsukete is the te form

what words r there for "and" and "but" : i no theres de, -te form of verbs, -kute for i adj and de for na adj, but im not familiar with "shi"...
demo, to, ya, keredomo, shikashi etc. There are a lot. "shi" can also mean and, like ikushi, tabeshi, nagai shi. You will learn shi in either year 11 or year 12

also when u say soemthing said what do u use?
If youi want to say someone said something it would be
(person/thing )ha "blah blah" to ii masu/mashita

totallybord

HSC
thanx!
umm what about the "tte" form? and also when u use node as in because is it usually the plain form before the node even if the sentence is supposed to be polite? like.. konban sakkaa o miru node shukudai wo hayaku shimasu. ...does that make grammatical sense?
also quoting rhia : (i dunno how to quote)

you can't put yoku before hito, because an adjective placed before a noun qualifies that noun. plus, yoku is the adverbial form, and so shouldn't be placed before a noun, but rather before a verb.

ive seen yoku at the beginning of the sentence before doe...??
thanx for everyones repliessss

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
"tte" is used as the 'te-form' for verbs ending in "~rimasu", "~chimasu" and "~imasu"
eg. kaerimasu --> kaette
machimasu --> matte
iimasu --> itte

it doesn't really matter whether "node" is used for plain form or polite form. "node' and 'kara' can be used interchangeably

and it is not grammatically incorrect to use yoku at the beginning of sentences. it is actually being used quite frequently

abcd9146

HSC
mushroom_head said:
it doesn't really matter whether "node" is used for plain form or polite form. "node' and 'kara' can be used interchangeably
do what the syllabus tells you... same with the before ga/kedo... i know that either is right, but we are learning off the syllabus :)

totallybord

HSC
hi againnn...:)
-umm what is the shiteta form if verbs? if theres any coz ive seen it in like kawashiteta
- what is hanaseba and how do u form the seba or the ba coz im guessing that this is hanasu form...so do u do the potential and add ba? and what does it mean?
- also ive seen verb stems used in sentences... like surechigau is used as surechigai...why does it turn into its stem and how do u use this?
- whats nakattakuse? ...is the katta used coz its the past tense of nai? and if so whats the kuse thingy?
- and whats you ni ?
- what does the temo form do?
- umm last thing...i dont get colour adj. like when do u use aoi and ao and also when u say the orange shirt do u say orenji iro no...or orenji no ? and does this apply to all the pinku and midori adj too?
anyway i think ill leave it to that now..thank u a lot

P

pLuvia

-umm what is the shiteta form if verbs? if theres any coz ive seen it in like kawashiteta
Don't understand what you want here :confused:
- what is hanaseba and how do u form the seba or the ba coz im guessing that this is hanasu form...so do u do the potential and add ba? and what does it mean?
hanaseba means "if I/you speak". This is expressing a condition, saying if this happens then this will logically follow on. Yes its basically:
(verb) potential form + ba
(noun) + areba
(weak verbs) + rareba

Do the other later

P

pLuvia

- also ive seen verb stems used in sentences... like surechigau is used as surechigai...why does it turn into its stem and how do u use this?
Sometimes there's words like shiyasui, tabyasui etc, which means to do easily or eat easily. And also shinikui, tabnikui etc, which means difficult to do and difficult to eat.
But this word surechigau means to pass by each other going in opposite directions
- whats nakattakuse? ...is the katta used coz its the past tense of nai? and if so whats the kuse thingy?
I'm not sure if it's in this context but kuse means a habit, or peculiarity
- and whats you ni ?
you ni means "something like" i.e. sakkaa booru no youni booru - a ball like a soccer ball

abcd9146

HSC
pLuvia said:
you ni means "something like" i.e. sakkaa booru no youni booru - a ball like a soccer ball
im not sure if i remember correctly, but arent you talking about how something seems? thats ~you(na)

~you ni is so that... or reporting a request...

EDIT:
besides from what i said above, ~you ni is also used to describe how things seem, but youni is only used when there is a verb after it... younais used if a noun follows

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Yep! pLuvia, abcd9146 and LottoX you're all correct.

you ni - used before verbs eg kono you ni sureba ii desu
you na - used before nouns eg chuugoku to nihon no you na kuni

totallybord said:
hi againnn...:)
"shiteta" is just the same as "shiteita". Japanese people usually omit the "i" sound when they speak or write in a casual situation. So don't use it in exams!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)