• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

questions for UNE students.... (1 Viewer)

crystel_angel

HSC
Hey all
My boyfriend and i are hoping to attend UNE next year, but we're from Sydney so we have no idea what it's like up there. He's wanting to do Primary teaching and I want to do High school history teaching. Just wondering if theres anyone doing either of these courses up there and whether they like them or not???? Also, we were going to try to rent our own place, do you guys think this is wise, or is accomadation dodge up there???
As a side thing, we're randomly in Armidale on Friday on our way to Glenn Innes and have a day to kill.... is there anything up there we should check out???
sorry for all the questions...

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
crystel_angel said:
Hey all
My boyfriend and i are hoping to attend UNE next year, but we're from Sydney so we have no idea what it's like up there. He's wanting to do Primary teaching and I want to do High school history teaching. Just wondering if theres anyone doing either of these courses up there and whether they like them or not????
My sister and her boyfriend are both doing primary teaching. They love is and are getting really good grades.

crystel_angel said:
Also, we were going to try to rent our own place, do you guys think this is wise, or is accomadation dodge up there???
Go for college, atleast for 12months. You see, Armidale is a hole and there's nothing to do there. I have a mate that lives on college and he said that last year he probably only went into town 5 times. This is also the reason that college life on UNE is one of the funnest in Australia.

crystel_angel said:
As a side thing, we're randomly in Armidale on Friday on our way to Glenn Innes and have a day to kill.... is there anything up there we should check out???
sorry for all the questions...
As I said, Armidales a hole.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i'd say go for college too - for at least a year, that way you meet lots more ppl than if u were in town and the support academically is awesome too

don't be put off by moving from the city to the country for uni - i know a lot of sydney ppl that were not to impressed to move to armidale (it was the only uni they got into) but once they were here they love it... and its only about a 5-6 hour drive (to some ppl that sounds like a lot, but i don't think its too bad)

there isn't a great deal to do in armidale if you are just passing through - but u might want to take a drive round the uni or something - prob better to check it all out on open day though.. there are shops and stuff in town but nothing like sydney so you might be dissapointed

have fun

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'm not at UNE, but I'd support the staying on campus for the first year. You meet more people, have alot more support and more importantly, O-Week is nowhere near as fun off campus as it is on. Plus you have all the outings during the year..and pub run!

crystel_angel

HSC
Oh ok, thanks for the replys guys. I went and had a look round on the weeked, and it looks pretty cool. I love the whole country and spacious atmosphere.
Just another random question though, is there a bakers delight in Armidale? Id love to work in one and was hopeing there would be one where i go to Uni

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
just be warned with getting a job up here... most places will require you to work on the weekends (this means you can't go home for the weekend)
and a lot also require you to work during uni holidays - so if you are living at college you'll have to find somewhere else to live during holidays, and again you won't be doing much of going home - and considering you are from Sydney it's a pretty long way to go home if you are only going to get to be there a couple of days each holidays
don't know about you but i'd miss home way too much - i'm just going to work my butt off in the summer break

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
ballerina barbie are you in a college?

Most workplaces are flexible enough to allow you to not work during holidays, as if you tell them you are living in a college they will expect you to go home during the holidays, as staying in armidale can be impossible.

Not many people at all go home on weekends, especially to Sydney. Going home in the holidays is simple, and its not for a few days, its always roughly 3 weeks.

Rodeo_Star

Yer i'd say definately go to college for a year.. have the best time and meet lots of ppl! ONly thing is its freezing in Armidale!!!!

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Rodeo_Star said:
Yer i'd say definately go to college for a year.. have the best time and meet lots of ppl! ONly thing is its freezing in Armidale!!!!
That's why you get a room on the top floor and you can then go walk around in shorts all winter.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
bboy_insane said:
ballerina barbie are you in a college?

Most workplaces are flexible enough to allow you to not work during holidays, as if you tell them you are living in a college they will expect you to go home during the holidays, as staying in armidale can be impossible.

Not many people at all go home on weekends, especially to Sydney. Going home in the holidays is simple, and its not for a few days, its always roughly 3 weeks.
yeah i'm in a college - at albies

most of the people i know in armidale that have jobs (and these are people that live at college) had to stay and work last holidays... so i'm just going off what i know

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)