• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions for Newcastle BoSer's (1 Viewer)

Tristanator

HSC
Hey guys, cannibal.horse here, my other account is playing up and I haven't been able to log on.

I got a 96.65 uai. A little lower than expected (someone out there didn't like my extension story :p) but still decent and it looks like I'll still be joining you lot next year :) a few questions:

- When do we choose subjects/organise our timetables? how is it done?

- Does Newcastle uni have a hoodie? if so where can I pick one up?

- I'm on holidays in england atm, I won't be back till the 15th of January. Will I be missing anything important for uni?

Thanks all and if I can't get to a pub for a while merry christmas!

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I don't think you organise timetables till around mid-Jan. I think it's different for you as a new student though. Pretty sure everyone else has enrolled in their subjects by now (or at least has the option to) but you have until like the third week of uni till you can't add subjects anymore.

Generally lectures are chosen for you (as in there's only the one option) but it's not always the case. Getting the tutorial (or lab or whatever) you want can be a little harder but you just have to keep your eyes peeled for the open date and then get on first thing. It'll lag a little bit but you should get what you want because a lot of people aren't as anal at remembering :p

However, with the new website, I don't know how it works anymore, maybe different? Guyz? I know that in the past, they don't tell you shit as a first year student and you really had to just fumble into it. I was lucky my dad was in uni at the time haha.

There's a Newcastle uni shop near the Shortland hub. It's full of all kinds of shit including hoodies. I think they're either blue or grey? Maybe white.

Coming back on the 15th of Jan, you won't miss the start of uni or o-week or anything, but I'm not sure about tutorial open dates, so you might have to keep your eye on things over there if you can, but it's all online, you don't have to be anywhere.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
the old hoodies were way better than the new ones.
like, the ones that were all american with their big UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE plastered across the front in seriffed font.
none of this little iron-on logo crap.

Tutorial registration opens early february apparently.

dont worry cannible horse, nothing major is gunna happen until uni offers are made in mid january.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
dear newcastle bosers.

I pmed blue.chameleon this msg, but he doesn't like me so I haven't got a response, any ideas?:

I was wondering if you're at the uni over summer, or have a general idea what's going on with i.t.?

I need to know if the uni's 'U: student' drive on the network is being cleared at any time?

I have months of work saved there, it's where I saved most of my work, I'd be heaps cut if it was lost.

Do you have any idea if it's being deleted?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Tristanator said:
- When do we choose subjects/organise our timetables? how is it done?
- University website
- look at the 'quick links' drop down menu
- select 'online services'
- click on the first link 'My hub'
- Go to 'enrolments- add a class'
- Search through the available courses, looking at your degree program and enrol in any 8 (do both semesters now) that look like they might be appropriate.

Don't stress, as Em said you can change courses as late as week 3. It's normal to swap a subject or two after the first week or so. I think I only kept 1 subject from my initial 1st year enrolment, the other 3 were changed.

When tutorial registration opens in early feb (check dates), you go to 'online services' and select 'registration. Enrolment for tutorials is competitive. Get in smart, the well timetabled classes fill quickly. Many tutorial slots will clash with lectures you're enrolled in, so it's a pain to sort the whole thing out. I've been in the situation where I left enrolling late, and the only tute slots available were ones that clashed with my lectures.

Tristanator said:
- I'm on holidays in england atm, I won't be back till the 15th of January. Will I be missing anything important for uni?
lol, uni doesn't start till March, just fuckin' relax eh...

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Oops, got my dates wrong a bit, my bad.
On the subject of tute registration, don't freak out if you don't get into a tutorial (sometimes, the spaces available are less than the number of students......I know, right?) or you might just be unlucky and get one that clashes. I don't know about other schools but in my classes, the lecturer usually asked people to come forward if they needed to change tutes and he'd just add people to the end of the class manually (ahhh, overcrowded classes). :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Graney said:
dear newcastle bosers.

I pmed blue.chameleon this msg, but he doesn't like me so I haven't got a response, any ideas?:

I was wondering if you're at the uni over summer, or have a general idea what's going on with i.t.?

I need to know if the uni's 'U: student' drive on the network is being cleared at any time?

I have months of work saved there, it's where I saved most of my work, I'd be heaps cut if it was lost.

Do you have any idea if it's being deleted?
Is that from you or a PM you got from someone else?

I doubt the U: will be wiped, I'll be starting my 5th year and mine hasn't been wiped yet. Regardless, the smartest thing with any work is to BACK THAT FUCKER UP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Get a USB drive, they're cheap as and copy everything on to that, then on to your home computer. If you're too far away from uni/too cheap, you connect to the network from home and download the files onto your home computer.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I wrote it, yeah I was pretty sure my U-drive wasn't wiped after 2nd year, but I wanted to be sure.

I have to repeat GIS because I'm a slack bastard, and I've got all the projects saved on there, presuming the course doesn't change, which are hectic 4 hours a week all semester dealies. Didn't want to lose them.

Backing ups for suckers. I have USB drives, but I'd forget them every second week.

You can connect to the uni's network from home?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Which GIS? The first year one or the second?
Keep your USB drive in your handbag ;)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Graney said:
First of all Graney, I don't have any problems with you. Apologies if i've given you the wrong impression on that one. I hope that's mutual. I have heaps of friends that I don't agree with their views 100% of the time, but it doesn't mean I trash them as friends. I like to think I'm a pretty level-headed kind of guy and accept people's views regardless (unless there is unfounded abuse yada yada yada). Can't say the same for eveyone on here though.

Sorry though man, when I got your PM, I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to pass on bogus info, especially if you have heaps of work saved on it.

Anyway, don't stress. Nothing will be wiped. They only wipe the U Drive's of students that have graduated. One of the guys in IT told me he still has stuff that he put on there 2 years ago, so you will be fine.

EDIT: So yeah, wasn't ignoring you, just needed to confirm with the IT guyz. Capishe?

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
lol I was kidding, it's alright. I know everyone likes me, I'm amazing.

You're okay for an asian dude I guess.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Graney said:
lol I was kidding, it's alright. I know everyone likes me, I'm amazing.

You're okay for an asian dude I guess.
I am extremely asian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)