• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions B Business/ B Science in IT (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
lol
i think u dont understand that a double degree simply means your course would be a little bit longer..
you are not actually doing more than a person in a single degree per semester..
u may have to do more semesters.. but each semester's workload is the same

eg. 4 subjects..

u usually goto uni 3-4 days a week ..

and yes u can drop, add, change, transfer etc

PS: couldnt help but notice where u live... Ingleburn... arghhh brings back all da memories from my high schoool days when i used to line up at ingleburn bus stop to get the bus to macquarie fields high school every morning... .... reminising... ^^

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Hey guys, i have a few questions about the B Business / B Science in IT course.

I cant decide on whether to put B Business as my first preference or B Business / B Science in IT, it makes more sense to put the double degree as my first choice but i'm stuck, and im hoping some extra info might help in making the choice.

I've read some threads about this course and visited the uts handbook site thingy, but i'm still a little confused....

- Other than only being allowed to do one major and the core subjects in both IT and Business, is there much of a difference between the double degree and the business degree?

- Is the workload for the double degree a lot when compared to b business?

- If i was to major in Accounting, which IT major would go well with it besides Computing and Data Analytics - because i don't want to do all that math!

- If I do really crap, and i mean really crap in the IT degree, can i drop to just B Business?

- Would anyone be able to tell me about approximately how many days I would have to attend uni if i were to do the double degree? :)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
tanjin said:
Hey guys, i have a few questions about the B Business / B Science in IT course.

I cant decide on whether to put B Business as my first preference or B Business / B Science in IT, it makes more sense to put the double degree as my first choice but i'm stuck, and im hoping some extra info might help in making the choice.

I've read some threads about this course and visited the uts handbook site thingy, but i'm still a little confused....

- Other than only being allowed to do one major and the core subjects in both IT and Business, is there much of a difference between the double degree and the business degree?

- Is the workload for the double degree a lot when compared to b business?

- If i was to major in Accounting, which IT major would go well with it besides Computing and Data Analytics - because i don't want to do all that math!

- If I do really crap, and i mean really crap in the IT degree, can i drop to just B Business?

- Would anyone be able to tell me about approximately how many days I would have to attend uni if i were to do the double degree? :)

Any help would be much appreciated!
Times on BOS are a bit screwed up Dingo =/

1) There are a couple of differences: You would already know from reading the handbook that the B Business course allows you to double major in business (or one major + 2 submajors/electives). In the B Business course you'd also take 3 years rather than 4 years to graduate on a normal course. But, 1 year extra for an extra degree ain't a bad thing. When you come out, you can go into either industry.

2) Workload for a double degree isn't too bad. Alot of people (like me) find that the Business subjects require alot more work than the IT subjects. I'd probably struggle with time if I was doing 4 business subjects instead of 2 bus/2 IT (given that I also work 1 day a week). In terms of university contact hours (how many hours of classes at uni), it isn't too much difference. I'd say a typical course has (on average) 3 hours of contact.

3) The majors were introduced this year, so I can't really say which would match with Accounting. My course is the old version, so I have no experience in these new 4 majors. From reading the handbook entries, I'd say the Business Information Systems Management major though (http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/maj02080.html).

4) Yes, you can drop the BScIT part of the degree if you find that you don't like it/not getting the marks you want. It is called an 'internal transfer'. They look at the kind of marks you have got in uni, and other things like a submitted personal statement on why you want to transfer. A credit average is the bare minimum you'd require to transfer (around 65-75% average in all subjects).

5) I cannot say. It depends on the scheduling of the subjects, and they can be from 2 days to 5 days. If you want to have a look at the kind of scheduling the classes were this semester (not that it would hold any impact on the scheduling of next year), you can visit http://timetable.uts.edu.au.

Hope that helps =)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Dingo2004 said:
lol
i think u dont understand that a double degree simply means your course would be a little bit longer...
^^

I'm not stupid :mad1: . Bitch.:p I know what a double degree is and i KNOW that it takes longer, any moron can work that out.

From what i've read, the double degree doesn't allow you to do any sub majors....my question was whether or not that was the only difference (besides the number of years needed to complete the course) between the double degree and the single degree in either business or IT, because i know b business has sub majors....

Im sorry if the question wasnt clear enough but that's what i meant.

If there's no major difference, then i dont really care for sub majors...im putting the double degree as my first choice.

--- Ingleburn is too quiet....i miss my old place in the east (although it is a complete hole now) cause i have sooo many childhood memories there....:karate:

:) Huratio-- Thank you for your help.:)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
BBusiness single degree will allow you to do 8 core subjects and either: 2 majors, 1 major + 2 sub-majors, OR 1 major + 1 sub-major + 4 electives.

BScIT single degree will allow you to do 8 core subjects and either: 2 majors, 1 major + 2 sub-majors, OR 1 major + 1 sub-major + 4 electives.

BBusiness/BScIT combiend degree will allow you to do the 8 Business core subjects, 8 IT core subjects, 1 Business major and 1 IT major. It basically means that the only flexibility you have is that you can choose your major.

I hope that makes sense now.

Just like to note that the '4 electives' statement above assumes that the subjects are worth 6 credit points each (which most subjects are). If you choose to do, say languages, most of these are 8 credit points, so you would only do 3 subjects rather than 4.

Last edited:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
[FONT=&quot]Thanx Jasee [/FONT][FONT=&quot]:)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]I'm on the uts timetable site right now, trying to see how many days of uni i'd have to attend if i was to do the combined degree....so i've chosen 2 accounting subjects and 2 IT subjects and everything fits into two days....and there are heaps of tutorials! do i have to go to all of them:confused: [/FONT]

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Lol! Two days haha.

Which subjects did you look at?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Huratio said:
Lol! Two days haha.

Which subjects did you look at?
-Accounting Transactions & Business Decisions
-Accounting Standards & Regulations

-Collaborative Business Processes
-Business Processes & IT strategy

Did i do it right? :eek: lol....i wasnt quite sure but these subjects were the only ones i could pick because everything else was said to be unavailable - "No activities are currently offered for this selection". Also when I chose the day and time thingy i ticked only Tuesday and Wednesday....and it seemed to work out, but i cant really tell if i've done it right or wrong...i was happy with two days! :) Oh, i chose the spring session aswell.

Thanx for your help everyone! :D

Last edited:

raiders771

HSC
i think those are the elective core subjects well i know the last 2 definately are of the it side and maybe one of the accounting ones, i do business/computing currently and it is difficult to get everything in 2 days as it would cram up your day and stress you out more meaning you wouldnt be able to take in as much, in my 1st semester i had 3 days on with 1 day being extremely crammed and forced me to stay at uni all day, it was quite difficult to concentrate towards the end of the day, however this semester ive got 4 days so thats 1 subject a day and I'm able to take in more from lectures which requires less revision and more time to study and make notes, it all depends on what you feel comfortable with but just make sure you put in your preferences early otherwise classes tend to fill up very quickly.

Hope that helps and goodluck!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
raiders771 said:
i think those are the elective core subjects well i know the last 2 definately are of the it side and maybe one of the accounting ones, i do business/computing currently and it is difficult to get everything in 2 days as it would cram up your day and stress you out more meaning you wouldnt be able to take in as much, in my 1st semester i had 3 days on with 1 day being extremely crammed and forced me to stay at uni all day, it was quite difficult to concentrate towards the end of the day, however this semester ive got 4 days so thats 1 subject a day and I'm able to take in more from lectures which requires less revision and more time to study and make notes, it all depends on what you feel comfortable with but just make sure you put in your preferences early otherwise classes tend to fill up very quickly.

Hope that helps and goodluck!
My brother said the same thing too. He said that i should try to get it spaced out, so that i can study properly and not shit myself when tests and assessments come up. So say i get into this course, how early should I fix up my preferences?

Thanx raiders771:)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Sorry about the late reply.. I didn't see your new posts..

You will normally be allocated to an enrollment day once you accept your offer. On that enrollment day, some general administration is done (stuff like HECS forms and a talk by the program co-ordinator about general course structure). After that you will go into a computer lab and people will instruct you on how to use MyStudentAdmin (enrollment into subjects) and MyStudentActivities (allocation of times). Both websites are first come, first serve; so the earlier you do it- the chances are you will get better times.

Also, I'd stick the the general course structure in the first year of university. It normally ensures you don't miss any prerequisites once you go into your subsequent years (as they are all core subjects which you have to do).

Business Core Subjects: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/stm90273.html
IT Core Subjects: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/stm90651.html

Read from course program: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10219.html
e.g.
Business Information Systems Management major/Marketing Major
Year 1
Autumn semester
31265 Communication for IT Professionals 6cp
31266 Introduction to Information Systems 6cp
22107 Accounting for Business 6cp
21129 Managing People and Organisations 6cp
Spring semester
31267 Programming Fundamentals 6cp
31268 Web Systems 6cp
25115 Economics for Business 6cp
24108 Marketing Foundations 6cp
Year 2
Autumn semester
31269 Business Requirements Modelling 6cp
31270 Networking Essentials 6cp
26134 Business Statistics 6cp
79203 Business Law and Ethics 6cp
Spring semester
31271 Database Fundamentals 6cp
25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance 6cp
Select one of the following: 6cp
21193 Business Strategy 6cp
22207 Accounting Transactions and Business Decisions 6cp
31247 Collaborative Business Processes 6cp
Year 3
Autumn semester
24202 Consumer Behaviour 6cp
24210 Advertising and Promotions Management 6cp
31257 Information System Development Methodologies 6cp
31255 Finance and IT 6cp
Spring semester
31272 Project Management and the Professional 6cp
24510 Advertising Research 6cp
24604 Project in Advertising 6cp
31245 Business Process and IT Strategy 6cp
Year 4
Autumn semester
24309 Introductory Marketing Research 6cp
24207 Strategic Business Media Planning 6cp
31258 Innovations for Global Relationship Management 6cp
31276 Networked Enterprise Architecture 6cp
Spring semester
59330 Advertising Practice 6cp
59333 Advertising Strategies 6cp
31280 Strategic IT Project 6cp
31282 Systems Testing and Quality Management 6cp

Let me know if you have any other questions. This can be a bit confusing...

Last edited:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Huratio said:
Sorry about the late reply.. I didn't see your new posts..

You will normally be allocated to an enrollment day once you accept your offer. On that enrollment day, some general administration is done (stuff like HECS forms and a talk by the program co-ordinator about general course structure). After that you will go into a computer lab and people will instruct you on how to use MyStudentAdmin (enrollment into subjects) and MyStudentActivities (allocation of times). Both websites are first come, first serve; so the earlier you do it- the chances are you will get better times.

Also, I'd stick the the general course structure in the first year of university. It normally ensures you don't miss any prerequisites once you go into your subsequent years (as they are all core subjects which you have to do).
I don't mind doing the subjects in the order that is suggested - that's fine. But im a little confused with how that timetable site even works. The course structure that you had listed - that's only for the IT major right? Is there any way in showing both the business and IT one together? And with regards to the website when we enrol - can i do it on the spot? :)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
The course structure I listed is a sample one which includes subjects from the Business Information Systems Management (IT) major and Marketing (Business) Major.

These 'Core' subjects are the ones you have to do:
As you can see, they are scattered in the structure I've posted.

In regards to the timetable website, try this:
Step 1: Spring
Step 2: City
Step 3: I like to use the Faculty search. If you are looking for a Business subject, select Business under 'Faculty' and hit the search button. It should show heaps of subject there, just scroll down and highlight the ones you want. One by one, you can hit the add button and it will add to your list. Change the Faculty to 'IT' and do the same.
Step 5-7: Don't really have to do anything to this.
Step 8: Click on either Flat or Grid, and a new window should show up with all the class times.

Like I said, they are for this semester; and the chances are they would be different for Autumn, 2008.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Huratio said:
The course structure I listed is a sample one which includes subjects from the Business Information Systems Management (IT) major and Marketing (Business) Major.

These 'Core' subjects are the ones you have to do:
As you can see, they are scattered in the structure I've posted.

In regards to the timetable website, try this:
Step 1: Spring
Step 2: City
Step 3: I like to use the Faculty search. If you are looking for a Business subject, select Business under 'Faculty' and hit the search button. It should show heaps of subject there, just scroll down and highlight the ones you want. One by one, you can hit the add button and it will add to your list. Change the Faculty to 'IT' and do the same.
Step 5-7: Don't really have to do anything to this.
Step 8: Click on either Flat or Grid, and a new window should show up with all the class times.

Like I said, they are for this semester; and the chances are they would be different for Autumn, 2008.
Okay, thanx for all your help Huratio! That means i did the timetable thing right the first time...but sometimes they dont let me choose some subjects because it's said to be unavailable...but oh well....im putting b business/bsci in IT as my first preference :)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Were they IT subjects?
Some of them only run on a particular semester.. e.g. autumn only or spring only.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
No, only actually they were the business subjects...i only got to choose two...everything else was unavailable.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Hmm that is suprising.. the timetable website should have all the classes for this semester, as it is used by the current students as well..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)