• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions abt liberal studies (1 Viewer)

pigyar

HSC
I am interested in doing commerce in uni next year.

1.What is the difference between commerce and commerce with liberal studies?

2.What do you learn in liberal studies?

3.What career path would one ususally pursuit after graduating from liberal studies?

4.which uni is better for commerce with liberal studies, UNSW or USYD? (I am asking this because ppl usually agree UNSW's commerce is slightly better, but commerce with liberal studies in Usyd's uai cut-off is remarkably higher.)

thank you

spence

HSC
Liberal studies just means you do arts and science units as well as business ones.

The main difference between the two unis as far as I can tell, is that at UNSW it is just a straight commerce degree with a years worth of arts/science units. Whereas at USyd, there is only one core subject, so you aren't forced to do accounting, Economics, Stats, etc. that you would have to do in a straight Commerce degree. And at USyd you have to do two majors, and you're able to do 3

billbro

HSC
N/A
pigyar said:
I am interested in doing commerce in uni next year.

1.What is the difference between commerce and commerce with liberal studies?

2.What do you learn in liberal studies?

3.What career path would one ususally pursuit after graduating from liberal studies?

4.which uni is better for commerce with liberal studies, UNSW or USYD? (I am asking this because ppl usually agree UNSW's commerce is slightly better, but commerce with liberal studies in Usyd's uai cut-off is remarkably higher.)

thank you
1. Liberal Studies adds a year to your degree, which is meant to diversify your studies. You'll need to do some cores in contextual analysis and critical thinking etc, then it is up to you to decide on studying some courses from Arts/Science of your own interest.

2. Refer to above.

3. Same as other business students, though you have the option of adding a third major from another area such as Politics, Philosophy, etc

4. USYD probably has a more well known course, the UNSW is still very new. UNSW is stronger in business, but USYD probably has a stronger Arts Faculty - only a small portion of Arts courses in each school are offered each year at UNSW.

I do Liberal Studies at UNSW, I enjoy it because I can choose Humanities subjects that have much more appeal than the dry material I deal with in my business component.

Look up the university handbooks and compare the course structures for yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)