Questions about UTS IT courses (1 Viewer)

Beege

HSC
What type of jobs are there combining both business and IT? Particularly marketing and IT?

What is the best business major to choose if I wanted to mainly work in IT in the future?

Would the double business and IT degree be appropriate if I were to mainly work in the IT field?

Would it be best to do the diploma of professional practice in the middle of my degree or at the very end i.e. the last year?

Could you please give me some more information on a few IT subjects like:

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Communication for IT professionals
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Web systems

Would the single BscIT degree or the double degree be suitable If I wanted to become a multimedia designer & developer & what particular IT major would be best for this area?

I would love to do the internetworking major but would it go well with the bbusiness/bscit? what business major would complement this IT major?

I will probably have more questions but I can't think of them now. I can't make up my mind. BscIT or BBusiness/BscIT?

Hiluke

AWESOM-O!
HSC
Beege said:
Could you please give me some more information on a few IT subjects like:

-Communication for IT professionals
-Web systems
Beege,

I have just completed my first year in IT at UTS.
I did both of these subjects in first semester, as well as Introduction to Information Systems and Programming Fundamentals.

CITP: In my honest opinion, this subject was a waste of my time and money. You basically look at social and ethical issues in IT and then do a lot of reading and writing about them. The subejct aims to teach you how to write a professional report, referencing external resources and linking it all back to your main argument. Really this is the sort of stuff that the HSC english should teach you, but fails to do so. I thought a 3hr seminar each week on this was a bit excessive. Many people will agree with this, but you will find others who liked the subject, because it allowed you to go and look at any issue in IT, and write your own report on it. No final exam for this subject was a big plus. Instead there were 3 assignments, and a class mark, meaning attendance of seminars was compulsory.

Web Systems: I actually enjoyed this subject. I felt the lecturer struggled a bit to explain some things, and couldnt really hold his audience, but the content of the course was good. We studied using Linux commands and writing basic scripts. There was also content on CSS and HTML design. There was a final exam for this subject, done on the computer... basically having to use the skills you learned throughout the subject. Multiple choice exams and an assignment were the only other assessments. No final exam for this subject either.

My thoughts on those particular subjects.

Beege

HSC
There seems to be labs in the intro to info systems subject, what do these labs involve? and could I please have some more info on this subject as well.

Hiluke

AWESOM-O!
HSC
I have attached here the Subject Outline for the semester I did it in. I dont know how helpful that will be for you though.

Basically, the subject was an introductory course to how information systems are used in everyday life. Nearly all industries use an information system of some form, and the subject looked at how these were integrated into the businesses. Also we looked briefly at modelling these information systems in simple business process diagrams, such as swimlane and rich pcitures. For our assignments for this course, we had to look at a video store, and the information systems that were in place in the store. We then had to recommend changes that would need to be made if the store were to lose its shopfront and just sell online. We had to diagram the new information systems, and describe how the system would work as a whole.

The subject was quite interesting and required a lot of hands on research, i.e. visiting the video shop for interviews etc.

No final exam for this subject. Instead there were 2 assignments and various smaller class exams.

Beege

HSC
cool, do u have any more subject outlines by any chance?

Hiluke

AWESOM-O!
HSC
I only have the other subjects I did first semester.
Attached here are CITP (31265) and Programming Fundamentals (31267). The system keeps timing out when i try to upload the web systems one though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)