Questions about UMAT and USYD (1 Viewer)

Aluminesis

HSC
I'm going to sound pretty stupid, but here goes anyway XD I'm in year 12 right now and leaning towards health sciences. I was looking at some courses just then and it raised a few questions:

1) I know (well, think) UMAT is for med, dentistry and health sciences. But I'm a bit confused, since the health science courses I've looked at don't mention UMAT. Is UMAT actually required for entry into health science courses?

2) Just to clarify, USYD doesn't consider UMAT... right?

3) Since USYD's Faculty of Health Sciences is at Cumberland, I was curious about the campus itself. Anyone go there? I've been to the Camperdown/Darlington campus and really liked it so I was disappointed to discover that health sciences were at Cumberland. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. So just asking for some opinions about Camperdown :):)=)

Haha, I'm leaning towards USYD, if you can't tell XD I'm thinking about Applied Science - Speech Pathology at USYD right now. I've also got UNSW in mind though.

Any help greatly appreciated!

soporific

HSC
USyd 99.95 ATAR...
The OP mentioned Speech Pathology, so I'm having a little difficulty deciphering why/how this is relevant =)

1. Anyway, about USYD -- You don't need UMAT for courses like speech pathology or physio at USYD. The UMAT is usually required for *some* (like you've mentioned, generally med or dentistry) health sciences, but not all. For Pharmacy at USYD, you need to sit STAT. However particularly at USYD, you don't need UMAT for dentistry [GAMSAT - post grad] or med [GAMSAT if post grad, ATAR & interview if undergrad].

I'm going to digress a little bit by saying that for SOME universities interstate, you require UMAT for pharmacy and physio i.e. Monash University... [please do correct me if I'm wrong].

It's best to check your UAC guide when you get it about the *additional requirements* of your course :)

2. For your clarification, yeah, generally, USYD doesn't require UMAT. However, for some courses, USYD needs GAMSAT since it's post grad.

3. I'm sorry I can't help with this question because I can't speak from experience. However, later on during the year, you most likely will be given the opportunity to find out about the campus etc. because most universities hold information evenings. Your careers advisor will probably organise some sort of careers day at your school where you will be able to find out more about your courses, campus information and requirements.

The general consensus about Sydney University though (as you probably know :p) is that it's very aesthetically appealing... with the sandstone buildings and all. I've heard it's good for health sciences too...

Good luck throughout your HSC year and your university choices. Remember you have a lot of options ... I've personally decided to take a gap year and gain some "life experience" before I make the commitment of studying my course. Not sure what the outcome will be ... but who knows XD.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)