Questions about looking for casual/part time employment (1 Viewer)

CarlU

HSC
I've recently started considering getting a small career on the side while I study at TAFE. So I've gotta a few questions I'd like answered, it'd make things alot quicker for me.

1. Is it unfair or unappealing to an employer if I only work 2 days a week during the school holidays and 5 days during school time? It's not because I've got a poor work ethic here, it's just that it's very difficult to get to work during these times. (I'll save you the story)

2. How long does it take to be accepted for a job?

3. I went to apply online for jobs at Coles Myer and Woolworths but they list no jobs available for my local area, does this mean it'd be pointless to ask for employment in person?

Thanks alot. :)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
1. it depends. because they are hiring to cover shifts when there is no one available, so obviously your availbaility will have to coincide with those times.

2. big company with a lot of applicants, 2 weeks. obviously, the more desperate they are, the quicker you'll hear from them.

3. no. it wouldn't hurt to ask the manager about it.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
wuddie said:
1. it depends. because they are hiring to cover shifts when there is no one available, so obviously your availbaility will have to coincide with those times.
Agreed. Also, if you're entering the industry with little to no work experience, then your chances of getting a job is low compared to other applicants with more experience than you. To increase your chances, you should let them know you are available 24/7, because full availability is very attractive to big employers. Obviously if you're applying Part time or casual, they won't roster you for every single day, and you can always tell them what days you want (or quit) once you actually get accepted into the job.

decypher

HSC
CarlU said:
1. Is it unfair or unappealing to an employer if I only work 2 days a week during the school holidays and 5 days during school time? It's not because I've got a poor work ethic here, it's just that it's very difficult to get to work during these times. (I'll save you the story)
Most casual employers won't care very much if you're up front with them, mainly because they have more casual workers than what is needed. Just don't expect to get two shifts a week if thats you're only availability.

CarlU said:
2. How long does it take to be accepted for a job?
Really depends on the individual employer. Can be anywhere from on the spot to months later.

CarlU said:
3. I went to apply online for jobs at Coles Myer and Woolworths but they list no jobs available for my local area, does this mean it'd be pointless to ask for employment in person?
Once you've done a general application they'll probably email you to apply for specific jobs (well Coles anyway).

CarlU

HSC
Thanks wuddie, RabbitRabbit and decypher

I think the next step from here is asking if there are any jobs available personally because the online websites don't seem to show many availabilities for stores in my area, only apprenticeship/traineeship jobs and jobs that require a car etc.

RabbitRabbit said:
Agreed. Also, if you're entering the industry with little to no work experience, then your chances of getting a job is low compared to other applicants with more experience than you. To increase your chances, you should let them know you are available 24/7, because full availability is very attractive to big employers. Obviously if you're applying Part time or casual, they won't roster you for every single day, and you can always tell them what days you want (or quit) once you actually get accepted into the job.
That's a tad worrying for me.

CieL

HSC
Maybe you should just apply and stop bloody worrying.

You're either going to be employed or unemployed. Just try your luck at any random store you'd like to work for and ask. Don't ask a random worker, ask for the line manager of whichever section you want to apply for [eg. service, grocery, fresh produce, etc]

Like rabbit said, just list your availabilities as 24/7.. As you'll start as a casual, it's likely that you'll only be required to work short hours 2-3 times a week anyway.. unless you're absolutely outstanding and they want you back all the time.

Since stores like Coles/Woolies are massive and have fair few employees, flexibility is increased. If you get hired, over time you can talk to your manager about what you want and usually they try to accomodate you. If you can't work, getting someone else to cover your shift is pretty easy.. but try to accomodate the store as well, or else you might end up getting less and less shifts..

But yeah.
Apply everywhere.
Getting a decent first job requires a bit of luck.
It's a high chance you dont get what you want.

CarlU

HSC
Ciel said:
Maybe you should just apply and stop bloody worrying.
lol, rightio then. Nearly there...

Next problem is referees, I have never been employed before, so I'll probably have to put in my former school principal and my work experience manager, both of whom I'm not keen on asking them to be a referee. I thought I was done with em'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)