Questions about chemistry exam (1 Viewer)

frankcat1

HSC
I was wondering about about the answers to some questions in the exam

the first one is Question 11 of the multiple choice, the reaction between bromine water and propene. What I thought, and according to some websites and the excel study guide, the reaction goes as follow:

C3H6 + Br2 + H2O <----> CH3CH(OH)CH2Br + HBr

and the product formed is 1-Bromo-2-Hydroxypropene, or 1-Bromopropan-2-ol, not any of the answers.

Also the first question of industrial chemsitry, the syllabus says to "describe, using examples, the reactions of sulfuric acid acting as a dehydrating agent" At our school we learnt different reactions of sulfuric acid as a dehydrating agent, so if we didn't learn that one, as I'm sure many people didn't, and the question didn't mention dehydration, how were we supposed to understand what was going on in that question?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
The bromine water was over an addition reaction. Therefore it was 1,2-dibromowhatever.

zhuang281

HSC
I just guessed the first in industrial chem using logic.. It said that it was in a sealed container, ie to keep something out (Moisture). It said it was hydrated copper sulfate... 2+2... maybe its a dehydration reaction... Conc H2SO4 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)