Questions about arts and education degree @ Macquarie. (1 Viewer)

laila09

HSC
Hey everyone!

I have just finished year 12 and want to do a dip ed and bachelor of arts at Macquarie next year. I have applied through UAC and my ATAR meets the requirements.
I would like to become a history and english secondary teacher but I have a few questions.

- When do we pick our majors and minors etc? Is there a special orientation or somehing as on the UAC application I have only just applied for arts and edu and have not stipulated what I want to do?

- Also in the UAC guide it says english and then in brackets next to it under the arts degree (not teaching). Does this mean you cant train to become an english teacher at Macquarie?

- I also will need a student card so that I can get half price on travel to the uni. When and where will I get this?

Thank you soooo much for any help I can get it it much appreciated :eek:

dolbinau

HSC
1. I don't think you will click a button that says "I want to minor in contemporary music' - and then you're set for the next 3 years.

What will happen is you'll have to find out what the requirements are for a minor, and enrol in units which will allow you to fulfil this requirement.

Looking at the MQ education website:

"To qualify for an academic minor, students must complete 12cp in a discipline area with a minimum of 6cp at 300-level from units specified from an approved major."

So you enroll in 12cp worth of units, across your 3 years of study, half of which are 3rd year units 'specified from an approved major'.

2. Of course you can..it's just to differentiate that Arts - English is not teaching, just a major in English.

("What do you do with a B.A. in English,
What is my life going to be?
Four years of college and plenty of knowledge,
Have earned me this useless degree.

I can't pay the bills yet,
'Cause I have no skills yet,
The world is a big scary place.")

3. When you enroll on campus, you will get an ID card, then you take it to this room where they put a sticker on it (you need to print something that shows you are studying full time, though).

Kiim2507

HSC
Sorry the only one I can help you with is the student card.
When you go to orientation/enrolment you will be shown all this.
For student cards you have to print out proof of your enrolment and take it to a room in C5C (Can't remember the exact one but there are big signs up) and they take your picture and give you the card.
Then you go a few doors down and they have the consession stickers, you just have to fill out your details and they put your consession sticker on your student card.

Hope that helps....I know it seems really daunting at first (I was shitting myself :p) but there are lots of people to help you.

laila09

HSC
So the dip ed ad bachelor of education will definitly allow me to become an english and history teacher?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)