Not open for further replies.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Pip Is Finished, You Guys Can Stop Doing Surveys Now

Last edited:

Cerry

HSC
1. What year did you begin your high school education and what is the year in which you intend to finish? Started in 2003, and will be finished at 12pm on November 6, 2008 (no, I'm not counting or anything...)

2. Do you feel gender roles have effected your aspirations for your future while you have been undertaking your HSC education? Nope

3. Have your parents encouraged your academic future? E.g. attending university Yeah, they've had an ASG account for me since I was about 2, and mum is helping me with all my applications and stuff (one of the bonuses of having a mother who works at a uni).

4. Do you have a set career line you wish to follow when you have completed your HSC? If so what is it? Primary School teaching

5. If yes was your previous answer, have the subjects you’ve chosen in year 12 been selected to accommodate this career line? The only things they want are English, which is compuslory (although, I'm doing 3 units, rather than just 2), and maths, which I'd probably be doing anyway, since it's useful for most careers. Other than that, I'm doing Chem, because it doesn't hurt to have a science, Music and German, because I like them

6. Now that you are completing your HSC do you feel that your teachers have prepared you best of their abilities for the examinations you are to complete at the end of this year? Most of them, yeah. Although some of the teachers I've had in the past were absolutely shit, and probably couldn't have cared less how we do

7. Now that you are undertaking your HSC do you feel the preparation you have received extends beyond the exams you are to undertake at the end of the year? E.g. preparation for university and entering the work force. Some of it. Mostly, people just keep trying to scare us into working and talking about "the real world", though. Which most people who have finished the HSC recently say is just crap

8. Do you feel the subjects offered for students undertaking Yr 12 are sufficient for your individual aspirations and ambitions? Yes. The BOS offer courses for pretty much everything imaginable

10. In completing your HSC do you feel you have a choice of any career you want or that it is limited? If so, is this due to your: gender, performance in you previous academic endeavors, subjects available to you, the type of school you are attending or other. If other, please specify. If I get a UAI, I can do most things, because I've got a fairly wide range of subjects. But I've wanted to do the same thing since I was about 10, so I haven't really put much thought in to other stuff

11. Have you or are you likely to experience any major environmental or social change while undertaking your HSC? I may kill anyone who comes within about 10 meters of me at the moment, which would be a substansial social change. Other than that, not really.

12. Do you feel that the HSC is more effective in preparing student’s for their futures in contemporary times or in the time of the previous generation? The old English course sounds like it was a lot better, it was more based on communicating, rather than all the analysis and stuff. But other than that, I don't really know anything about the HSC other than what I'm doing now, so I can't comment

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
1. What year did you begin your high school education and what is the year in which you intend to finish?
2003 - 2008

2. Do you feel gender roles have effected your aspirations for your future while you have been undertaking your HSC education?
no

3. Have your parents encouraged your academic future? E.g. attending university
yes

4. Do you have a set career line you wish to follow when you have completed your HSC? If so what is it?
Yes - teaching

5. If yes was your previous answer, have the subjects you’ve chosen in year 12 been selected to accommodate this career line?
Not really.... I just did things I had to (compulsory) and am good at

6. Now that you are completing your HSC do you feel that your teachers have prepared you best of their abilities for the examinations you are to complete at the end of this year?
Yes

7. Now that you are undertaking your HSC do you feel the preparation you have received extends beyond the exams you are to undertake at the end of the year? E.g. preparation for university and entering the work force.
Some of it

8. Do you feel the subjects offered for students undertaking Yr 12 are sufficient for your individual aspirations and ambitions?
Yes

10. In completing your HSC do you feel you have a choice of any career you want or that it is limited? If so, is this due to your: gender, performance in you previous academic endeavors, subjects available to you, the type of school you are attending or other. If other, please specify.
Yes - anything

11. Have you or are you likely to experience any major environmental or social change while undertaking your HSC?
not really friends with girls at school anymore but I don't think HSC has too much to do with that

12. Do you feel that the HSC is more effective in preparing student’s for their futures in contemporary times or in the time of the previous generation?
No Idea

And Cerry, your replies made me laugh

Love darling

brookachooka

HSC
1. What year did you begin your high school education and what is the year in which you intend to finish? 2003-2008

2. Do you feel gender roles have effected your aspirations for your future while you have been undertaking your HSC education? nope

3. Have your parents encouraged your academic future? E.g. attending university they've encouraged me to the extent that im doing what they want me to do, in other words uni or we'll be disappointed

4. Do you have a set career line you wish to follow when you have completed your HSC? If so what is it? horses, horses and more horses

5. If yes was your previous answer, have the subjects you’ve chosen in year 12 been selected to accommodate this career line? not really (my school didnt have ag or equine studies)

6. Now that you are completing your HSC do you feel that your teachers have prepared you best of their abilities for the examinations you are to complete at the end of this year? they've tried, but i havn't really responded to the constant nudging

7. Now that you are undertaking your HSC do you feel the preparation you have received extends beyond the exams you are to undertake at the end of the year? E.g. preparation for university and entering the work force. i've learnt more from work than school in this regards

8. Do you feel the subjects offered for students undertaking Yr 12 are sufficient for your individual aspirations and ambitions? the subjects are necessary if you want to go to uni, otherwise it doesn't matter cos u dont need them

10. In completing your HSC do you feel you have a choice of any career you want or that it is limited? If so, is this due to your: gender, performance in you previous academic endeavors, subjects available to you, the type of school you are attending or other. If other, please specify. i can do whatever i want, nothing should stop u

11. Have you or are you likely to experience any major environmental or social change while undertaking your HSC? ah no

12. Do you feel that the HSC is more effective in preparing student’s for their futures in contemporary times or in the time of the previous generation? school has changed from what it was, it's evolved with the times, tho not fast enough maybe

Cerry

HSC
Caitlin63 said:
And Cerry, your replies made me laugh

Love darling
It's what I'm here for, Cat my dear
</spam>

HSC
1. What year did you begin your high school education and what is the year in which you intend to finish?
2003 - 2008.

2. Do you feel gender roles have effected your aspirations for your future while you have been undertaking your HSC education?
No.

They haven't encouraged anything specific. Just the lame "you can do whatever you want" thing.

4. Do you have a set career line you wish to follow when you have completed your HSC? If so what is it?
I'd love to get BComm (Lib St). If I don't get that, I have no clue what I'll do (at the moment; I'm still thinking about it).

5. If yes was your previous answer, have the subjects you’ve chosen in year 12 been selected to accommodate this career line?
I chose subjects based on what I liked, not for anything to do with UAI/uni.

6. Now that you are completing your HSC do you feel that your teachers have prepared you best of their abilities for the examinations you are to complete at the end of this year?
Yes.

7. Now that you are undertaking your HSC do you feel the preparation you have received extends beyond the exams you are to undertake at the end of the year? E.g. preparation for university and entering the work force.
No.

8. Do you feel the subjects offered for students undertaking Yr 12 are sufficient for your individual aspirations and ambitions?
No, but they can't be too specific so it's understandable.

10. In completing your HSC do you feel you have a choice of any career you want or that it is limited? If so, is this due to your: gender, performance in you previous academic endeavors, subjects available to you, the type of school you are attending or other. If other, please specify.
Choice of career? Yes. Easy path to career? Not quite.

11. Have you or are you likely to experience any major environmental or social change while undertaking your HSC?
No.

12. Do you feel that the HSC is more effective in preparing student’s for their futures in contemporary times or in the time of the previous generation?
It might have been sufficient in the previous generation but it's woefully inadequate in contemporary times. There should be a far greater focus on good written and spoken skills, there should be more awareness and study into overseas cultures, the subjects should be more up-to-date and less history based (e.g. physics and business studies are two I do which suffer here), there should be less emphasis on memorisation and instead more application of theory and problem solving.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
[FONT=&quot]1. What year did you begin your high school education and what is the year in which you intend to finish?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Began 2003... Will finish 2008.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

2. Do you feel gender roles have effected your aspirations for your future while you have been undertaking your HSC education? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not really. If anything, they’ve encouraged me to aim higher.
Also it should say “affected” not “effected” in this question[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

3. Have your parents encouraged your academic future? E.g. attending university[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

4. Do you have a set career line you wish to follow when you have completed your HSC? If so what is it?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I want to attend UWS and Complete a B.Arts/B.Laws and then become a big-shot barrister.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

5. If yes was your previous answer, have the subjects you’ve chosen in year 12 been selected to accommodate this career line?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No. I didn’t know what I wanted to do until half way through year twelve.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

6. Now that you are completing your HSC do you feel that your teachers have prepared you best of their abilities for the examinations you are to complete at the end of this year? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HA no.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

7. Now that you are undertaking your HSC do you feel the preparation you have received extends beyond the exams you are to undertake at the end of the year? E.g. preparation for university and entering the work force. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not really.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

8. Do you feel the subjects offered for students undertaking Yr 12 are sufficient for your individual aspirations and ambitions?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nope.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

10. In completing your HSC do you feel you have a choice of any career you want or that it is limited? If so, is this due to your: gender, performance in you previous academic endeavors, subjects available to you, the type of school you are attending or other. If other, please specify. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LIMITED? Eh not really.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

11. Have you or are you likely to experience any major environmental or social change while undertaking your HSC?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

12. Do you feel that the HSC is more effective in preparing student’s for their futures in contemporary times or in the time of the previous generation?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Neither.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Well, since I'm in that future, I guess I can answer with some authority ;)

This questionnaire has been created for the purpose of answering the question, to what extent does the HSC prepare students for their futures?

1982 - 1987

I went to an all girl school, so there were no real gender issues at school and I considered every field open to me when making my decisions and I did not take into account that some professions or courses were considered "Boy Jobs" or "Girl Jobs".

Yes, indeed. My parents completely supported me through University, giving me all I needed so I could concentrate on studying and not have to get a job. They paid for all my textbooks and Uni stuff (even after I was married in the middle of the 3rd year of my 4 year course).

I did. I was going to be an Electrical Engineer - that seemed very clear.

Yes, they were. Chem, Physics, 4U Maths (Ext 2), 2UGen English, German (my fun subject).

Yes, they did. I was taught exam technique and we did all our exams from Year 7 in exam conditions in exam halls. It was invaluable.

Absolutely not. I was not prepared for life after school at all. Uni was a shock and a friend and I went back to our school the year after we left to give a talk to Year 12 about what life at Uni would be like. The school was not impressed because they thought we were going back to talk about Electrical Engineering courses (we never told them that - we told them we wanted to share our Uni experiences with Year 12).

Yes. ANd then some. Ext 2 Maths meant I could miss a whole Semester of Pure Maths 1 because they redid the 4U Maths course from school! Way cool!

Only limited by what marks I could get (which pretty much meant no limit for me) but many friends felt that they were very limited in their choices and could not see that there were other routes to the career or future they would have liked.

No I didn't.

I really couldn't say. The stress of the final exam has always been there. The need to get top marks to get into certain courses has always been there. Today there are VET and TVET courses which cetainly prepare non-Uni students for the future, but then again in the past Non-Uni students did not go on to Year 12 but left to go to TAFE anyway where, as adults, they were treated as adults. So, perhaps in the past students were better prepared for the future because those that were entering the workforce and TAFE system, did so earlier and were treated as adults earlier and, perhaps, took on that mantle more easily.

In the end, what I got in my HSC was irrelevant once I entered uni and totally forgotten once I left it. It was a blip on the landscape that had little bearing on where I went after Uni. Now I'm an aspiring author and the HSC did nothing to prepare me for that - life and time prepared me for that. I was a teacher and that was not something I had counted on when doing the HSC.

I hope that helps in some small way.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
alcalder said:
I hope that helps in some small way.
lol, well, PIPs over so not really, but the chick i posted it for says thanx

ctrlaltv

HSC
start: 2003
end: 2008

No. I have loved computers all my life, and refuse to do anything else.
B Comp Sc <3

Yes. Every day. Every hour. Every minute. Every second.
They occasionally lecture me on how important it is to get into uni, etc etc

B Computer Science/Engineering at uni, then hoping to get into an IT related job and then a career in programming.

Yes. I'm doing 3 computer related subjects.

My english teacher doesnt give a crap about our class's marks and is very lazy. Otherwise, i'd say yes.

Sort of. The stuff im doing in Software + IPT are probably going to be uni/career related.

Yes.

Yes. But a high UAI is needed, and at the moment im not doing that well, so yeah.

Less going out. In fact, I haven't gone out with my friends for the past 3 weeks. Fail

Not sure about this question.

danz90

HSC
2003-2008

Definitely not - my future aspirations have been based purely on my instinctive interests and passion, and not influenced by gender roles.

Yes - however have assured me that they will be proud of me whether I get into university or not.

Yes - Pharmacy based.

Yes - Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics.

Yes, I am really pleased with my teachers. They have gone to great lengths in preparing me for the HSC - I'm glad I was lucky enough to get such great teachers.

To some extent, I feel prepared with sound knowledge for my first semester courses at Uni.

I believe the sciences should be expanded, introduce distinction or extension courses such as medical science etc. to enrich people with more knowledge in preparation for uni courses.

No - I have a broad range of subjects through which I can take several career paths.

Yes - there has definitely been sacrifices in my social life in undertaking the HSC.

I believe it caters for the contemporary times, however can be tweaked a little to ensure it prepares students for life in today's 'real' world.

Just.Snaz

HSC
1. What year did you begin your high school education and what is the year in which you intend to finish? 2003 and I finish 2008

Not really. But i suppose to some extent being in a co-ed school. Never really had a major problem though.

Definitely.

Yes, Pharmacy, then maybe an honours into research for drug development. Not too sure about that but definitely pharmacy

Not really. They were chosen because, like pharmacy, they are in my field of interest.

Most of the time.

Yes. HSC has taught me alot about the world.

I haven't seen a case when it hasn't.

I feel that I'm not limited because I feel I have the power to determine my own future, no matter the circumstances.

Yes. I've learnt ALOT about everything: people, friends, life. I've grown, matured and learnt so much.

I don't have much insight to how it was before to compare. Sorry.

THANK YOU!!
You're welcome :)

Last edited:
HSC
2003 - 2008

Nope

asdafakfjakg naofdnadna jndao dadf ...yes

Yep, Communications, advertising etc

Nope, i didn't have a clear-cut career path when selecting subjects in year 10 and 11, so my subjects don't really suit my career line

Most of the time

Definitely not, learning off a set out curriculum is by no means helpful post-HSC. Exceptions can be said somethings, ie. the financial mths topic in General

Yes

My career is limited to my own personal abilities and interests, but academic achievement also plays a role in my career choices

Yes, for the better.

Wouldn't be able to comment on this

HSC

2003-2008

no we do not live in the 18th century i believe both men and women can do watever they want

yep they have being paying money into a student fund ever since i was little, and heck if i decide i dont wanna go well then i am 20 grand or so richer haha

i wouldnt mind being a paramedic, or a nurse.... even psychocology

yes well sorta, i chose them as they woud be helpful in the line of medicene/nursing

yep they sure have they have been some of the most supportive peeps round, always willing to stay back and help

yer it does to an extent, but then there is always other ways into the workforce, i try to not think bout the whole this is the only way into the workforce, as they builds too much stress, ive seen it in to many other cases

yep they sure are, as they offer subjects along a braod spectrum offering to both those academically minded and those not so academically minded

hmm i think i can have any career i wanted, even considerin the school i attend and all that, it just sums down to the amount of hard work u want to put in to get to the end.
there is some people who complain that thier teachers or school let them down well, WTF i say as they coulda out more hard work in to get what they wanted.

nope, as thank god i turned 18 early on in the year haha

hmm both but probably more revelent to today as in earlier generations u only had to know someone and u could have gotton a job now to even get a simple job u need an interview and they look at ur school results

brookeemma

HSC

not really, although my selected profession for the future (journalism) is female dominated (and im female :p)

nope. "do what makes you happy"

yes
journalism
private college --> work

somewhat
drama - outgoingness, comfortability with cameras and people and whatnot
geography - i could be the weather girl?
french - international stuff, whatever
4u english - doesnt help at all with journalism.

3 of them have, the other one hasnt.

I dont quite get this but... i dont think the knowledge learnt in the hsc is going to help me outside of school. ever. again.

mine? somewhat. others, no.
the subjects could ideally be much more practical for working

yes - performance at school, school i am attending.

no

neither
the bos needs to get their act together and teach us stuff we need to know for actual life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)