Question. (1 Viewer)

paparazzitopped

HSC
Let's say Person A has a certain mark for their final Year 12 report. Person B has a mark a bit higher than that. Person A also ranks lower than Person B (by a few places). But when they both look at their internal and external marks because of the NESA leak a few days ago, they got an external mark only one mark apart from one another but for the internal mark, Person A got a slightly higher internal mark than Person B (Person A ends up getting Band 6, Person B only a mark or two away from Band 6).
Yes, this happened. No idea how that worked, unless my understanding of the hsc has a few holes in it. How?

Edit: To clarify, I am asking how a person who is lower ranked and got a lower school report mark than another ended up getting higher internal marks.

HSC
N/A
Did you check your final assessment rank on nesa? If so and person b had a higher rank in this case then your internals are wrong lol

Saint Dev

HSC
A long time ago, when I was trying to understanding scaling, I read something about the internal mark not reflecting what it "should" if there was a massive discrepancy between the external mark and internal. However, that doesn't seem to be the case given your information.

If I had to guess, maybe this is an anomaly due to a small cohort or obscure subject? I'm not sure if that actually makes a difference but it might. What subject is it and {roughly} how many people took it at your school? More likely is that ranks weren't as you recall.

paparazzitopped

HSC
A long time ago, when I was trying to understanding scaling, I read something about the internal mark not reflecting what it "should" if there was a massive discrepancy between the external mark and internal. However, that doesn't seem to be the case given your information.

If I had to guess, maybe this is an anomaly due to a small cohort or obscure subject? I'm not sure if that actually makes a difference but it might. What subject is it and {roughly} how many people took it at your school? More likely is that ranks weren't as you recall.
I've no idea what's going on. But it's a Continuers Language course. I forgot the exact number of the number of people doing it but it's between 20 and 30.

carrotsss

HSC
I’d be interested to see if the result is still the same when the results officially come out, because that is quite strange

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Let's say Person A has a certain mark for their final Year 12 report. Person B has a mark a bit higher than that. Person A also ranks lower than Person B (by a few places). But when they both look at their internal and external marks because of the NESA leak a few days ago, they got an external mark only one mark apart from one another but for the internal mark, Person A got a slightly higher internal mark than Person B (Person A ends up getting Band 6, Person B only a mark or two away from Band 6).
Yes, this happened. No idea how that worked, unless my understanding of the hsc has a few holes in it. How?

Edit: To clarify, I am asking how a person who is lower ranked and got a lower school report mark than another ended up getting higher internal marks.
Your school may have just rigged the ranks when they submitted it, with one potential reason being that they saw you doing better in the externals so they wanted you to be first.

paparazzitopped

HSC
Your school may have just rigged the ranks when they submitted it, with one potential reason being that they saw you doing better in the externals so they wanted you to be first.
That sounds illegal, is it? And I only got 2 more marks higher than Person B for the final Assessment Mark for internals, yet when I saw my ranks at the end of the HSC I will still below them. How would they rig it? The HSC is behind me now but I'm curious...

Nedom

HSC
I mean I've heard (and kinda makes sense anyways) that schools might be bunching people at the top together so that they all get decent internal marks, done so by reducing the difference between them assuming that they do decently well as a whole. This way they all get as close as possible to the 1st ranked person and so get higher marks (HSC marks and ATAR). This would in turn generate a higher avg and possibly more Distinguished Achievers etc. . So yeah if the government is corrupt, I don't think schools being like this is that out of the ordinary. The pride/prestige of higher ranked schools in the school's mind is a big factor that plays into why they would do this, and I wouldn't be surprised if this happens with the majority of schools. So yeah, what pikachu975 said sounds quite realistic to me. (Same kind of concept/idea of why they would try to 'fix' internals as I comment abt above)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
That sounds illegal, is it? And I only got 2 more marks higher than Person B for the final Assessment Mark for internals, yet when I saw my ranks at the end of the HSC I will still below them. How would they rig it? The HSC is behind me now but I'm curious...
I'm not sure but I think schools have to submit the final rankings at the end? Maybe it didn't happen but that's just a theory since idk what else could've happened.

There could be some HSC mechanism that came into play who knows

Master Singleton

The Night Owl
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure but I think schools have to submit the final rankings at the end? Maybe it didn't happen but that's just a theory since idk what else could've happened.

There could be some HSC mechanism that came into play who knows
This aspect of the HSC is not transparent at all in terms of how schools scale final internal marks and allocate final internal rankings of HSC students. Thus making it difficult to calculate and predict your ATAR.

Nedom

HSC
This aspect of the HSC is not transparent at all in terms of how schools scale final internal marks and allocate final internal rankings of HSC students. Thus making it difficult to calculate and predict your ATAR.
On a side note, why did you study so many degrees? Are you trying to collect them all? (Pokemon!)

Edit: Actually curious, not intended to be offensive.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)