question (1 Viewer)

stressed monkie

im a random
heyz i was just wondering could someone explain to me how to work out comparative advantage with an example i have the formula and i sort of know how to do it but i just wana double check i tried advice line but the dude that answered went into some long winded answer and i fell asleep lolz thanx

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
alrite..well its pretty simple once u do a couple of examples

ok in the town of BOS:
there is James and Kate

James can make 50 pizza's a day, and can make 20 beers a day
Kate can make 30 pizza's a day, and can make 15 beers a day

Remember, a person has a comparative advantage in something if their opportunity cost of performing that activity is lower than the other person.

In this example, James can make 50 pizzas for every 20 beers = 2.5 pizza's for every 1 beer, and Kate can make 30 pizzas for every 15 beers, = 2 pizza's for 1 beer
Therefore, Kate has a comparative advantage in making beer, because her opportunity cost of making 1 beer is only 2 pizza's, which is lower than James' cost, which is 2.5 pizza's.

And with the principle of comparative advantage, in a two-person economy such as this example, if Person A has a comparative adcvnatage in one activity, the other person MUST has a comparative advantage in the OTHER activity. Therefore, in this example, by law, James has a comparative advantage in making pizza's (u can prove this by maths again)

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Minai

Therefore, Kate has a comparative advantage in making beer, because her opportunity cost of making 1 beer is only 2 pizza's, which is lower than James' cost, which is 2.5 beers.

do you mean 2.5 pizzas??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)