Question. (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
A WAN can be set up using point to point or multipoint configurations, explain.

Well, I really doubt I can answer this one by myself, this one stumped me badly comapred to other questions in my task.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
A traditional point-to-point data link is a communications medium with exactly two endpoints and no data or packet formatting. The host computers at either end had to take full responsibility for formatting the data transmitted between them. The connection between the computer and the communications medium was generally implemented through an RS-232 interface, or something similar. Computers in close proximity may be connected by wires directly between their interface cards.

When connected at a distance, each endpoint would be fitted with a modem to convert analog telecommunications signals into a digital data stream. When the connection used a telecommunications provider, the connections were called a dedicated, leased, or private line. The ARPANET used leased lines to provide point-to-point data links between its packet-switching nodes, which were called Interface Message Processors.

www.wikipedia.org

gdt

HSC
N/A
f3nr15 said:
A WAN can be set up using point to point or multipoint configurations, explain.

Well, I really doubt I can answer this one by myself, this one stumped me badly comapred to other questions in my task.
I'm not surprised, I'm a professional network engineer and it has me confused too. The problem with the question is the word "configurations". It could mean "topology" (the graph of interconnected links and equipment) or it could mean "links".

I'll assumed the baby talk "can be set up" means "designed".

A multipoint *topology* is pretty essential if you have more than two sites:
A-----B-----C
or even a loop of links:
A----B
| |
+-C-+

A *multipoint* link allows more than two items of equipment to be serviced by the same link. Examples are radio links, such as satelite and WLAN, or multidrop buses such as ethernet using coaxial cable.

They all look like this:

========== .....
| | |
A B C .....

Multidrop *links* are very unpopular for WANs. If you have an error in Melbourne you don't want your customers in Sydney effected.

Multipoint *topologies* are very popular for WANs. We like to build using point-to-point links. We then build a topology which has enough redundant links in the right places to allow all sites to continue unaffected by any one link failure.

I've no idea what response the question was seeking. I hope the above information helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)